Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Practical advise on Exchange rate / SIM Cards / Transport

Liked

Practical advise on Exchange rate / SIM Cards / Transport

So next month i finally go to Thailand (getting excited),
    landing at BKK and going to Ayutthaya first.
    so finally i am thinking of the practical (not 18+) questions.

As the title says, where can i get a good exchange rate ? (i plan to take cash with me.)
    Also what SIM card/Operator do you recommend ? (i plan to use the internet, not so much calling)
    I read there is no Uber in Thailand, which other do you recommend ?

(I hear the Airport gives not good exchange rate, but kind of need money dont i...
    love to hear your suggestions)

thanks

Liked

Re: Practical advise on Exchange rate / SIM Cards / Transport

Quote Originally Posted by Max6969 View Post
    I read there is no Uber in Thailand, which other do you recommend ?

(I hear the Airport gives not good exchange rate, but kind of need money dont i...
    love to hear your suggestions)

thanks

Bolt is the app to use for transportation. Very reasonable and reliable. Whether they are available in Ayutthaya, I don't know. Just download the app.

3. User who gave Like to post:

GerBear1958 (September 13th, 2022)

Liked

Change money at money exchanges (many have "rich" in the name!), never banks. Their rates are much better and they are all over Bangkok. For immediate needs, wait until you have been through immigration and customs, then go down to the airport basement (airport rail link terminal) where you will find exchange booths which are outside the cabal that sets the (bad) exchange rate in the airport itself.

Which SIM card? they are all much the same as far as the short-term tourist is concerned (for longer stays the advice might be different.) I go for whichever provider has the shortest queue at the airport. Yes, I might save a few baht by going to a 7-11 but the airport people are accustomed to dealing with farangs with weird phones..

Forum's veteran
    Liked

IN airport-well, to be very precies just OUtside-are Mo-Ex that used to give better rates In the hall where ARL=train dep. from. This is just outside ´territory´ of airport where all banks (any Thai bank has an office there) all give exactly same-low-rates.
    But this was all pre-covid (never been back since, but booked yesterday ro arr nov-just after Kratong)
    There was the odd report these exchanges have closed -a few weeks ago, but unconfirmed.
    Ohterwise there is NO exchange on airportgrounds that does give a good rate. Also no idea about Ayut-not been there since many years. The exch that give really good rates are IN BKK-near BigC/opposite World Trade and some along Silom/Suriwong (but do check rates-not all will). The SuperRich ´chains (green, orange and blue) are best known for this.
    IF you ask this you are likely looking at expense-best way to Ayut that way-still cumbersome-is take the free shuttle to Don Muang and train from there (opposite motorway), Next best + much more comfy: taximeter to Mochit=northern Bus terminal, then tourbus.
    These general Qs have much more response-usually better informed too-at the best known general forums like tripadvisor-the answer is probably there already dozens of times

6. User who gave Like to post:

GerBear1958 (September 13th, 2022)

Liked

Since you mentioned transport, Max6969, I thought this topic would be the ideal place to post the latest email I've received from the UK Government regarding travel advice in Thailand. I must say the latest news took me by surprise as I've lived in Thailand and after selling up I've continued to visit many times and always assumed the wearing of seatbelts in cars and taxis was required by law. Even if it wasn’t, I would never have considered travelling by car or taxi without wearing a seat belt. But according to the latest information it only became law on September 5th, with penalties for not 'belting up".

Seatbelts.jpg

Safety and security
    Road travel

. . . From 5 September all passengers in vehicles, including backseat passengers, must wear seatbelts. Under the new Land Traffic Act you could be fined up to 2,000 Baht if you do not comply.
    Source: UK Government website
    Remember: Coughs and sneezes spread diseases

Liked

I advise changing a little money at the booths near the Skytrain entrance in the bottom level of BKK airport. That's the booths the far side of where you pay for the Skytrain, not the bank type places you pass before going down the escalator to the pay kiosk for the Skytrain. If you don't know them these exchange booths are not that obvious so ask any staff or anyone who looks like they might know. In central Bangkok I like X One on Surawong for a good rate. The Superrich places are fine also. All fx shops will want to see and copy your passport.

Liked

That's not the Skytrain, though it is a train in the sky; it's the Airport Rail Link. Skytrain Rabbit cards won't work.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by thaiophilus View Post
    Which SIM card? they are all much the same as far as the short-term tourist is concerned (for longer stays the advice might be different.) I go for whichever provider has the shortest queue at the airport.
    Well when i went to Egypt for example i was recommended Vodafone since they had a better Internet connection, they actually had the longer queue. But i had very good internet connection. So Thai profiders are all good ? i have no idea which choices there are in Thailand
    Last edited by christianpfc; September 15th, 2022 at 23:03. Reason: fix quotation

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by pong View Post
    IF you ask this you are likely looking at expense-best way to Ayut that way-still cumbersome-is take the free shuttle to Don Muang and train from there (opposite motorway), Next best + much more comfy: taximeter to Mochit=northern Bus terminal, then tourbus.
    These general Qs have much more response-usually better informed too-at the best known general forums like tripadvisor-the answer is probably there already dozens of times
    Well i did find several transport companies for longer distances, i cant fysically handle long distances in uncomfortable transport so private transport would be better. But for example to go from BKK airport to my hotel near the airport... short distances, i usually use apps. Can you take GRAB from BKK to Pattaya for example or that to long distance ?

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by thaiophilus View Post
    That's not the Skytrain, though it is a train in the sky; it's the Airport Rail Link. Skytrain Rabbit cards won't work.
    You are absolutely right - Airport Rail Link. Re SIM card I went to AIS shop in Silom Centre, paid 200 baht for 30 days data sim card to get wi fi, then went online to put 50 baht on the card in case I wanted to make phone calls.