Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pros and cons

Liked

Pros and cons

I just came across this somewhat trite, shallow web site. I am sure that many of us can add several pros and cons.

https://urbanasian.com/lifestyle/tra...pros-and-cons/

Life As An Expat In Pattaya: The Pros And Cons

Pattaya has long been one of the most attractive expat destinations in Thailand, but paradise always comes at a cost. In this article, we’re going to look at both the pros and the cons of living in Pattaya, to help you determine whether or not this is the location for you. Here’s everything you need to know…

The pros of living in Pattaya

* Beautiful scenery: Pattaya is a gorgeous coastal city with gorgeous beaches and plenty of stunning surrounding greenery for you to enjoy. If you are a beach lover and relish ‘outdoorsy’ excursions, then you’ll find plenty to satisfy your desires in Pattaya.

* Multicultural community: Pattaya is home to a thriving, multicultural community, giving you a unique opportunity to mix and make friends with people from all over the world!

* Exceptional food: it’s no secret that Thailand is home to one of the finest cuisines with so much variety! And even if you aren’t one for Thai food, the international cuisine is on point, with plenty of 5-star restaurants and fast-food joints for you to enjoy.

* Friendly people: Thailand is often affectionately referred to as “the land of smiles”, and this is large because the locals are so incredibly friendly. If you want to feel welcome and at home, Pattaya is a great place to settle.
    * Plenty to do: from the bustling nightlife and plethora of water sports, to massage parlors and Muay Thai arenas, you’ll find no shortage of exciting things to see and do in Pattaya – not to mention the beautiful cultural delights and gilded temples in the area.

* Low cost of living: Thailand is comparatively cheap to most western countries and can offer expats a superior quality of life for less. What might be considered a low monthly income in the UK for example, would afford you a decent quality of life in somewhere like Pattaya.

* Stunning accommodation options: Pattaya, like many of the top tourist destinations in Thailand, has many stunning accommodation options for you to choose from. From luxury beachfront villas to gorgeous condominium complexes like The Cloud Pratumnak (Pattaya), you’ll be certain to find the perfect property to suit your tastes and budgetary requirements.

The cons of living in Pattaya

* Extreme weather: while the weather in Thailand is wonderful most of the year round, a tropical climate is not without its drawbacks. For example, during the rainy season, you can expect some seriously frightening storms and monsoons! While it is relatively safe and the country is built to handle the weather rather well, it can still be quite scary for some people who aren’t used to it. Then again, once you are used to it, it can actually be rather thrilling to witness!

* It can feel too ‘touristy’: if you are looking to enjoy a quiet life, Pattaya might not be for you. It’s a busy tourist spot that sees a lot of action all year round and might be overwhelming to some people.

* Visa complications: unless you have work lined up, plan to teach, or will be on a retirement visa, staying in Thailand comfortably (and legally) can be complicated, and frustrating.

* Inferior infrastructure: the public transport system in Pattaya doesn’t work quite as well as what you might be used to in say, the UK or US.

Conclusion

All in all, the pros far outweigh the cons. Nowhere is perfect and there’s always a little bit of ‘getting used to’ when you move to a new location. However, if you are looking for a vibrant spot with plenty of stunning accommodation options, great food, wonderful weather, and tropical beaches to boot, life in Pattaya is worth a look!

Similar Threads:

• 3 Users gave Like to post:

a447 (August 7th, 2022), GerBear1958 (August 8th, 2022), splinter1949 (August 9th, 2022)

Liked

Re: Pros and cons

Quote Originally Posted by jvt22222 View Post
      I just came across this somewhat trite, shallow web site. I am sure that many of us can add several pros and cons.
      * Inferior infrastructure: the public transport system in Pattaya doesn’t work quite as well as what you might be used to in say, the UK or US.

Conclusion
      Obviously never been to USA, there is no public transpiration infrastructure and general infrastructure in USA is in collapse due to years of political neglect.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by maump View Post
      Obviously never been to USA, there is no public transpiration infrastructure and general infrastructure in USA is in collapse due to years of political neglect.
      Really?

• User who gave Like to post:

catawampuscat (August 8th, 2022)

Forum's veteran
      Liked

...what NO mention of the plentiful cheap whores......the wikipedia confirmed fact that any old fat smelly male is instantly transformed into a sex god the moment he enters Pattaya...greeted non stop with delirious screams of :"andsum maaaan"....

GerBear1958 (August 8th, 2022)

Forum's veteran
      Liked

I have a slightly different opinion regarding several of the "Pros" mentioned in the article:

As far as Pattaya having "Beautiful Scenery". This would only be true if you lived directly on the ocean - everywhere else is a slum.

As far as the authors statement regarding "Exceptional Food" in Pattaya - citing 5 star restaurants. If there's a 3 star restaurant somewhere someone please tell me where to find it. Most of the restaurants in Pattaya are mediocre at best, and that includes Thai restaurants. The only exceptional restaurants IMO are Indian.

I agree pretty much with the rest of the authors "Pros", but would add a few "Cons": High levels of air pollution - polluted water at the beaches - crumbling infrastructure...terrible road conditions...dangerous driving - high noise levels (most areas).

The "Cons" I just mentioned are the reason I chose Bang Saray for retirement over Pattaya.

• 2 Users gave Like to post:

jvt22222 (August 9th, 2022), poshglasgow (August 15th, 2022)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by latintopxxx View Post
      ...what NO mention of the plentiful cheap whores..........
      Disagree, they mentioned the pros......

poshglasgow (August 15th, 2022)

Forum's veteran
      Liked

...clever..see what u did there...

mr giggles (August 10th, 2022)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post

The "Cons" I just mentioned are the reason I chose Bang Saray for retirement over Pattaya.
      Hi Dodger - I will retire in Jomtien from next month - transferring myself from Europe to Thailand.

As a newbie starting out his new retirement adventure - would Bang Saray be a better choice than the Dongtan seaside condos with the lovely greenery along that lovely beach walk ?

Or is Bang Saray a safe outpost for when you have obtained a significant other - to resist all of the temptations in the forbidden city nightlife of Pattaya and Supertown ?

Is there a decent ex-pat community in Bang Saray? would a single new retiree fit in? or be lonely and sad ?

I chose Jomtien because it is a nice compromise from the urban area of Pattaya and not too far from the action - just 10 to 15 minutes away. I wanted to live in an area where I can walk between the beach, condo, and night life. Obviously, I will also get a small scooter.

If one lived in Bang Saray and got carried away with the drinking and could not drive his scooter back to Bang Saray - does the baht bus go there? or is it only Grab/Uber and you go back the next day to Pattaya to pick up your scooter ?

Cheers,
      M.

jvt22222 (August 9th, 2022)

Forum's veteran
      Liked

Quote Originally Posted by bkkmfj2648 View Post

As a newbie starting out his new retirement adventure - would Bang Saray be a better choice than the Dongtan seaside condos with the lovely greenery along that lovely beach walk .
      First and foremost...Congratulations on your retirement, and I doubt you'll ever regret your decision to move to Thailand.

I think your choice of a Dongtan seaside condo is an excellent one.

I don't think Bang Saray would be a good fit for any retired farang unless he had a partner. There's a healthy expat community here but no gay bars - and I think a single gay person would be much happier in Pattaya closer to the bars and nightlife.

I zoom around the bay on my motorbike about once a week in the morning hours to hook up with friends in Pattaya. There are buses and mini vans that run 24/7 between PTY and Bang Saray but I prefer driving myself.

I have a Thai partner who I adore...have no interest in playing money-boy games anymore...totally at home in Bang Saray...clean air...lots of fun recreation...great beach for swimming....and it's only 25 minutes away from the flashing lights of Pattaya.

Good luck...and get ready to kick your shoes off and start acting like a crazy teenager again. That's what keeps us young over here.

Cheers

• 11 Users gave Like to post:

a447 (August 9th, 2022), aussie (August 9th, 2022), bkkmfj2648 (August 8th, 2022), GerBear1958 (August 8th, 2022), jvt22222 (August 9th, 2022), Kenny (August 8th, 2022), Micky (August 18th, 2022), Oliver2 (August 9th, 2022), poshglasgow (August 15th, 2022), Ruthrieston (August 9th, 2022), splinter1949 (August 9th, 2022)

Liked

I didn't have to read far until I started shaking my head. Has the author even been to Thailand, or somewhere other than Pattaya? Quotes in italic.

* Beautiful scenery: Pattaya is a gorgeous coastal city with gorgeous beaches and plenty of stunning surrounding greenery for you to enjoy. If you are a beach lover and relish ‘outdoorsy’ excursions, then you’ll find plenty to satisfy your desires in Pattaya.

The scenery around Pattaya can at best be described as average. If you are looking for places the author describes, go elsewhere!

* Multicultural community: Pattaya is home to a thriving, multicultural community, giving you a unique opportunity to mix and make friends with people from all over the world!

No opinion due to lack of exposure, but others on this forums don't have nice words to say about Chinese, Russian and Indian tourists.

* Friendly people: Thailand is often affectionately referred to as “the land of smiles”, and this is large because the locals are so incredibly friendly. If you want to feel welcome and at home, Pattaya is a great place to settle.

As elsewhere in SEASia (and probably all over the world), tourist money attracts scammers. Pattaya, and other touristy areas, attract the worst of Thailand.

For me, Pattaya is nice to spend a few days every month, but not as a base for my stays in Thailand.

Dodger (August 10th, 2022)