Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thirteen Lives

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Liked

Thirteen Lives

Back in 2018 the lives of a Thai football team and their coach hit the news headlines as the world’s news media descended on Thailand to follow their rescue from the Tham Luang cave network. A film by the director Ron Howard documents the story in a new film called Thirteen Lives which will be released in selected cinemas on July 29, 2022 and streaming on Prime Video on August 5th, 2022.

An extract from Wikipedia, a review by Stuart Jeffries of The Guardian and a report by Helen Bushby of BBC News is copied below together with the film trailer provided by YouTube.

13.jpg

Thirteen Lives is an upcoming biographical survival film directed and produced by Ron Howard, from a screenplay written by William Nicholson. The film stars Viggo Mortensen, Colin Farrell, Joel Edgerton and Tom Bateman.

Thirteen Lives is scheduled to be released in select cinemas on July 29, 2022, by United Artists Releasing, before streaming on Prime Video on August 5.

Premise
    The film chronicles the events of the 2018 Tham Luang cave rescue that saw a junior football team and their coach trapped in a cave for a period of 18 days.
    Source: Wikipedia

Ron Howard
    Going underground: inside Ron Howard’s explosive movie about the Thai cave rescue

Viggo Mortensen plays a heroic firefighter in new movie Thirteen Lives, based on the dramatic 2018 rescue of 12 boys and their coach in Thailand. But the film isn’t simply a white-saviour narrative, as its director explains

Stuart Jeffries
    Fri 22 Jul 2022 06.00 BST Last modified on Fri 22 Jul 2022 14.28 BST

One day, retired firefighter Rick Stanton got a phone call at his home in Coventry. It was Ron Howard. He had good news. He had cast someone who had been in Lord of the Rings to play Stanton in his new movie, Thirteen Lives. Stanton’s mind raced. Ian McKellen? Andy Serkis? Probably not Cate Blanchett. “When I found out it was Viggo Mortensen, I was very pleased,” says Stanton, eyes glinting. “I’d never really thought who would play me in a film, but he’d be up there.”

Stanton was one of five cavers (“I call myself a caver not a diver, and definitely not a spelunker because that’s American”) who rescued 12 boys of the Wild Boars football team and their coach from the Tham Luang cave in northern Thailand in June 2018. The boys, aged 11 to 16, had gone into the cave after football practice and got trapped by flood water. They survived for 18 days on an elevated rock two-and-a-half miles (4km) from the cave mouth, with hardly any food but sustained by meditation led by the 25-year-old coach, Ekaphol Chantawong, a former monk. And by hopes of rescue . . .
    Source: The Guardian

Thirteen Lives: Thai cave rescue actor Tom Bateman relives diving fears

By Helen Bushby
    Entertainment and arts reporter
    23 July 2022

"The cast definitely all felt fear at various times," says director Ron Howard, who's revealing how he shot the rescue of a Thai boys' football team from a flooded cave, for his latest film.

Thirteen Lives tells the story of the perilous real-life rescue of the boys and their coach, trapped deep inside the Tham Luang cave network after monsoon rains came early in 2018.

"A couple of the actors admitted later they had some trying moments - but nobody had to leave the tank and breathe into a brown paper bag," the double Oscar-winner tells the BBC.

The film stars Viggo Mortensen, Colin Farrell, Joel Edgerton, Tom Bateman and Paul Gleeson as the divers, who guided the footballers along underwater spaces so narrow they could barely squeeze through . . .
    For the full article see: BBC News

Remember: Coughs and sneezes spread diseases

2. 2 Users gave Like to post:

AdamKY (July 24th, 2022), francois (July 25th, 2022)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Thirteen Lives

Ron Howard is a great Producer, and the story-line certainly has enough substance...can't wait to see it.

Liked

Did any of you see the National Geographic version of this film = "The Rescue"

It was excellent in my opinion - sitting on the edge of your seat full of anticipation.
    I hope that this Ron Howard rendition, "Thirteen Lives" will be just as good or even better.

The_Rescue_National_Geographic.jpg

Liked

I wonder if the film covers the treatment of one of the heroic rescuers by that evil creature Elon Musk?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-50695593

6. User who gave Like to post:

Oliver2 (July 26th, 2022)

Liked

There is a one hour NOVA episode that covers the rescue, well done, no politics or excessive drama. watched it again last week by coincidence. had me on the edge of my seat cheering (again). you probably need PBS "passport" membership to see it.

https://www.amazon.com/NOVA-Thai-Cav.../dp/B07KZ8TPJZ
    "Nova" Thai Cave Rescue (TV Episode 2018) - IMDb

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by maump View Post

There is a one hour NOVA episode that covers the rescue, well done, no politics or excessive drama. watched it again last week by coincidence. had me on the edge of my seat cheering (again). you probably need PBS "passport" membership to see it.
    You can watch it here on U-Tube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClrRr8euKz4

9. 2 Users gave Like to post:

a447 (July 27th, 2022), Ninodf1 (July 28th, 2022)

Liked

From the trailer, it looks like a really good movie. Anyone know when it will start to be shown in Thailand theatres? I'm sure it will be a lot better than the last documentary he produced 3 years ago titled Pavarotti. That movie about the great singer was merely a puff piece - like it had been paid for by his family and recording company.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

The documentary about the rescue emphasised the collective efforts of the community to support the rescue operation. Local villagers contributed and supported it, sometimes at considerable cost. There is a tendency for mainstream movies to concentrate on a single hero....I hope the Thai villagers are given the respect they deserve.
    I doubt that the satanic Musk will get his comeuppance. Anyone who can manufacture a malicious sexual angle to the heroism of the guys who risked their lives deserves to be condemned by a wide audience.
    However, being very rich is often enough to ensure protection for such as he.

Liked

Musk's offer of mini submarines was rejected as they were far too big to fit through the gaps and didn't even have provision for breathing apparatus!

Seems like it was just a publicity stunt. Fancy that!

13. User who gave Like to post:

Dodger (July 28th, 2022)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Recommended. I was pleased it showed how the whole community joined together to save the children while giving due prominence to the courage of the divers. Wisely, in my view, it stayed clear of more than a passing reference to the role of the coach in leading the team into the cave.