Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: Ideas on Building Social Network in BKK

Liked

Ideas on Building Social Network in BKK

Hi, everyone, I am a gay Asian American guy at the threshold of my retirement and have been thinking of possibly living in Bangkok. I would welcome ideas, experiences, tips etc. on how to setting up a nice network of buddies, friends around a mature gay (Asian with some western habit) man? What I feel would probably work for me: I'd find a young(ish) muscle hunk (Tawan Club type) as a long/occasional live-in boy-friend, with several like-minded mature guy (Asian or Caucasian) who gradually become close friends to have good conversation, food, (window)shopping, boy-club or massage hopping, outing, trips and so on together with, and to help out each other when needed (calling a cop in emergency, caring for a pet when away, etc).
    Is this possible? easy to find? I know in the west it's not easy with the social attitude. Also, I was told by some BKK mature expats that their 28 yo boy friends don't get any financial favors from them other than just to live with them in their apartment "for free", is that so? Please kindly share your opinion/knowledge/experience. And please contact me. Thanks! I am well educated and honest.

Liked

Re: Ideas on Building Social Network in BKK

I expect buiding any kind of social network in Thailand is almost the same as you would do anywhere else. There is no handbook of how to do that as far as I am aware. But if you go out to the bars/restaurants in Silom Soi 4, you should be able to meet at least one who becomes a friend. And build from there. Your one problem is not having work colleagues to start you off and so it is likely to take longer in my view.

As for what those expats are telling you, it may be true for some and certainly untrue for others! Many retired expats in Bangkok have bfs who work for a living. My bf has a job he enjoys but his office is too far away for him to live full time with me. So he onlly stays over at week-ends and holidays. He does not expect any financial favours from me other than occasional dinners, although I do help a little from time to time and pay for our holidays together. As far as we are concerned, we are more or less equals (although with the differences in ages and earning power that can never be exact equals). On the other hand, if you are intending setting up home with a bar boy, expect to lash out quite a bit of cash - at least until he is able to find a decent paying job.

3. 3 Users gave Like to post:

aussie (July 27th, 2022), Dodger (July 29th, 2022), maump (July 28th, 2022)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Armando View Post
    I expect buiding any kind of social network in Thailand is almost the same as you would do anywhere else. There is no handbook of how to do that as far as I am aware.
    you are a better man than I am Armando for posting a reasonable and helpful response to this post, and I am to some extent glad I resisted posting my "don't feed the trolls" response yesterday because most of the "mature" "well educated" and "honest" people I have met in Thailand and elsewhere would never need to resort to posting such a contrived thread opener unless they were trolling, but my cynical attitude may discourage new members of the forum, so I hope I am proved wrong when with your (and others) help this develops into an interesting solution to an "honest" request from a new forum member!
    I can’t even be bothered to be apathetic these days!

Forum's veteran
    Liked

used to be easy ay Babylon....could meet a wide range of intyersting people...a few locally resident....was great...got invited to a few dinner parties and more...think the fact that one spent the better part of the day there helped...got bit bored...chatted with fellow patrons...

6. User who gave Like to post:

GerBear1958 (July 28th, 2022)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by bkkguy View Post
    you are a better man than I am Armando for posting a reasonable and helpful response to this post, and I am to some extent glad I resisted posting my "don't feed the trolls" response yesterday because most of the "mature" "well educated" and "honest" people I have met in Thailand and elsewhere would never need to resort to posting such a contrived thread opener unless they were trolling, but my cynical attitude may discourage new members of the forum, so I hope I am proved wrong when with your (and others) help this develops into an interesting solution to an "honest" request from a new forum member!
    "You are a better man"? With a [Deleted text] old troll like u I believe ALL are better men, only good thing is you admitted cynicism, a usual sign of a bitter injured [Deleted text] troll who couldn't find anything better to do than attacking some unknown member who you don't know and who don't want to know you. Hahaha, sad!

Some text was deleted under rule 2.3.

Jellybean
    Last edited by Jellybean; July 28th, 2022 at 20:29.

Liked

I made most of my friends in Bangkok from forums like this. Some from online dating, some by introduction by friends. This way I know that there are gays who are neither on the forums nor online dating. Only few I know from chance encounters in real life. This is because I don't spend much time in bars or other places where you spend much time with strangers. If you enjoy social activities, sports, whatever, that might be a way to go to make friends.

9. User who gave Like to post:

aussie (July 29th, 2022)