Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ridesharing apps in Bangkok

Liked

Re: Ridesharing apps in Bangkok

Quote Originally Posted by infoarmor View Post
    Thanks for you reply, Eric. It's unfortunate that Bolt doesn't accept credit cards. I've only used it once. Don't remember if it was in Ireland or in one of the Baltic countries, but I remember using a credit card for it. I guess that's one of the reasons their price is cheaper than Grab.
    Bolt in the UK operates only with credit card, same as Uber. Usually a bit cheaper, but fewer cars.

Liked

I'm glad to say that I had a much better experience with ridesharing apps in Thailand compared to the Philippines. I almost never had a problem booking a car through apps in Bangkok and that includes also from/to the airport.

The only time that I got the "All drivers are busy" message was at around 11:00pm and with heavy rain going on. I had finished with a guy that I met on Twitter and had promised I would get him a taxi back home. Tried to request on both Grab and Bolt and wasn't able to get one.
    He tried on his phone and got the same result (even though he said he is a platinum member on Grab). At the end he had to settle for a motorcycle ride I booked on Grab.
    He told me that it's usually difficult to find a car when it's raining hard as more people try to book a car. So that is something to keep in mind, though the rain should be over soon. Also it's better to always compare between Grab and Bolt. Yes, Bolt tends to be cheaper but not each time.

There is also one more app that is gaining popularity, but I don't see mentioned it in this forum and that's InDrive. It's an app where you actually propose your own price and it's up to the driver to accept it or not. Tends to be cheaper than both Grab and Bolt. I was able to pay only 215 baht from Silom to BKK the day I left Thailand.

Liked

Last Sunday when, at the last moment it turned to rain, I needed to get from Soi Convent to The Athenee. Grab quoted Bh165 which I more or less had no choice but to accept. The driver was ten minutes after the agreed time and we barely got to the hotel in time for my meeting. On the return journey I caught a cab and the metered fare was Bht51... he got a handsome tip. Grab, without the competition of Uber, has become very expensive.