Following paulfort's post, I checked EVA flights; as I thought, the weekly July flights are full. I suspect that the decision a few weeks ago to cut the proposed July flights to one a week had a significant impact. As did the ending of the beloved Thailand Pass.

I looked at other carriers, too. The prices on Emirates and Thai Air have rocketed since I last looked. Both were then offering Business Class for the LHR route at £3000; now, the cost is £6000. I paid £3000 for EVA and only £2500 for my November trip.

Economy prices have also risen sharply on the LHR-BKK route and there are few seats available on Thai.....who, by the way, still owe me £3200 for a cancelled flight a few months ago.

EVA is not responsible for recent problems which, as Amando said, are the result of Taiwan's Chinese-style restrictions. I've travelled over seventy times with EVA. Prices and reliability have been excellent and are recognised as such by independent consumer reviews. And I received compensation for a cancelled flight in January within three days.