Quick navigation:
List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: Flying from UK to Thailand post pandemic (EVA Air?)

Liked

Flying from UK to Thailand post pandemic (EVA Air?)

Pre pandemic I have flown often with Gulf via Bahrain, Jet who who think is now defunct via Mumbai and latterly on many occasions with Eva who I always found to be excellent. Eva extended my loyalty status during the pandemic and I noticed that they advertise resuming the LHR - BKK route all be it less frequently from early July.

Accordingly I booked a return trip early October, I paid for their "Elite" premium economy but went on to request an upgrade on my outward journey to "Royal Laurel" using my loyalty points which Eva had extended. I was initially surprised to receive almost immediate confirmation of the upgrade, normally you get a call a week or so before! I have however just looked and see that it looks like none of their July flights are running, and if I look at seat availability on my planned flights they are virtually empty! Does any one have any thoughts on the likelihood of this previously excellent airline getting this route back on track soon or should I be looking at some of the stop over routes as either way detriment after over two years to make this trip happen??

Liked

Re: Flying from UK to Thailand post pandemic (EVA Air?)

With a 7-day average around 61,000 and new cases slightly reduced to 55,000, Taiwan's borders remain closed to non-Taiwanese or businesspeople. Certainly it's impossible for me to fly to Taipei from Bangkok even though there are flights. Friends in Taipei tell me they have no idea when the restrictions will be lifted.

As I understand it, EVA still operates one non-stop from the UK to Taipei and I doubt if that is heavily booked. So it makes no sense for EVA to reopen the LHR/BKK/TPE route until Taiwan's entry restrictions are lifted. My gut feel is you will probably be OK for early October, but obviously there is no guarantee. If I had to be in Thailand at that time, I would not leave it to chance. I'd book on one of the Middle East carriers. With October being low season, there ought be decent fares. Emirates has recently announced a new premium economy class but I think it will only be available for London/Dubai - not Dubai/Bangkok this year.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

I am booked on the 11 July EVA flight to BKK. At the moment, the only flights there are on Tuesdays. I've just checked the site and I suspect that the flight is more or less full. The pre-flight seat bookings confirm this.
    I'm also booked on a November flight when there are a lot more available.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Evaair has a track record of broken promises .
    I now use Emirates and will only return to Eva when they have a proven track record.
    Emirates are currently 100-% relaiable but obviously with the stop over in the sandpit.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by gerefan2 View Post
    Evaair has a track record of broken promises .
    I now use Emirates and will only return to Eva when they have a proven track record.
    Emirates are currently 100-% relaiable but obviously with the stop over in the sandpit.
    I have booked in September, business class, and EVA say there are 3 flights a week. I suspect, and hope, that Taiwan will have relaxed their rules by then.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Following paulfort's post, I checked EVA flights; as I thought, the weekly July flights are full. I suspect that the decision a few weeks ago to cut the proposed July flights to one a week had a significant impact. As did the ending of the beloved Thailand Pass.

I looked at other carriers, too. The prices on Emirates and Thai Air have rocketed since I last looked. Both were then offering Business Class for the LHR route at £3000; now, the cost is £6000. I paid £3000 for EVA and only £2500 for my November trip.

Economy prices have also risen sharply on the LHR-BKK route and there are few seats available on Thai.....who, by the way, still owe me £3200 for a cancelled flight a few months ago.

EVA is not responsible for recent problems which, as Amando said, are the result of Taiwan's Chinese-style restrictions. I've travelled over seventy times with EVA. Prices and reliability have been excellent and are recognised as such by independent consumer reviews. And I received compensation for a cancelled flight in January within three days.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

I believe we are seeing a combination of events which airlines are cashing in on.

1. The end of covid. People have not been travelling for a couple of years and now have money to spend together with a desire to travel.

2. July and August are traditionally more expensive due to European holidays.

The airlines have recognised this and are cashing in. See Oliver’s comments on the ridiculous Business Class fares.

If you look at Emirates website for travel in October fares are about £750 cattle class and £3,800 business class. A bit more expensive than before the pandemic but not horrendous., especially in third class!

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver2 View Post
    Following paulfort's post, I checked EVA flights; as I thought, the weekly July flights are full. I suspect that the decision a few weeks ago to cut the proposed July flights to one a week had a significant impact. As did the ending of the beloved Thailand Pass.

I looked at other carriers, too. The prices on Emirates and Thai Air have rocketed since I last looked. Both were then offering Business Class for the LHR route at £3000; now, the cost is £6000. I paid £3000 for EVA and only £2500 for my November trip.

Economy prices have also risen sharply on the LHR-BKK route and there are few seats available on Thai.....who, by the way, still owe me £3200 for a cancelled flight a few months ago.

EVA is not responsible for recent problems which, as Amando said, are the result of Taiwan's Chinese-style restrictions. I've travelled over seventy times with EVA. Prices and reliability have been excellent and are recognised as such by independent consumer reviews. And I received compensation for a cancelled flight in January within three days.
    There was an EVA plane at Heathrow yesterday, so at least the flight to Bangkok was running!

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Not necessarily; EVA's LHR- Taipei service has be running for some time. I think you'll find that the first BKK flight (a stop-over for BR 68) is on 5 July.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver2 View Post
    Not necessarily; EVA's LHR- Taipei service has be running for some time. I think you'll find that the first BKK flight (a stop-over for BR 68) is on 5 July.
    Ok. Thanks for clarification.