Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: Squid Game

Liked

Squid Game

Have you watched Squid Game? Have you even heard of it? I hadn’t heard of it until it was mentioned in my Sunday Newspaper a week ago. It’s a South Korean, nine episode TV drama broadcast on Netflix and has, apparently, already attracted a viewing audience of over 111 million. I’m no fan of subtitles and was glad to see it is dubbed in English. I was hooked after watching the first episode; I’ve already watched another three episodes and highly recommend it. Take a look at the official trailer, the Wikipedia entry and a review by Henry Wong of The Guardian posted below and, if it arouses your interest, give it a try.

SG01.jpg

Squid Game (Korean: 오징어 게임; RR: Ojing-eo Geim) is a South Korean survival drama television series streaming on Netflix. Written and directed by Hwang Dong-hyuk, it stars Lee Jung-jae, Park Hae-soo, Wi Ha-joon, Jung Ho-yeon, O Yeong-su, Heo Sung-tae, Anupam Tripathi, and Kim Joo-ryoung.[2] The series, distributed by Netflix, was released worldwide on September 17, 2021.[3][4]

The series revolves around a contest in which 456 players, all drawn from different walks of life but each deeply in debt, play a series of children's games with deadly penalties if they lose for the chance to win a ₩45.6 billion prize.[a] Hwang had conceived of the idea based on his own economic struggles early in life as well as the class disparity in South Korea. Though he had initially written it in 2009, he was unable to find a production company to fund the idea until Netflix took an interest around 2019 as part of their drive to expand their foreign programming offerings. Hwang wrote and directed all nine episodes himself . . .
    Source: Wikipedia

Squid Game
    Squid Game: the hellish horrorshow taking the whole world by storm

In the gory thriller that has swiftly become a smash hit on Netflix, competitors play children’s games for huge cash prizes … and if they lose, they die. Can you stomach it?

Henry Wong
    Tue 28 Sep 2021 11.19 BST Last modified on Sat 9 Oct 2021 09.07 BST

What if winning playground games could make you rich? That’s the basis of Squid Game – the South Korean show currently at number one on Netflix around the world – where debt-ridden players sign up to compete in six games for a cash prize of 45.6 billion won (around £28m). The small print: if you lose, you get killed. In the first episode, a game of Grandma’s Footsteps (known as Red Light, Green Light in South Korea) leaves bodies piled high as the shell-shocked winners proceed to round two. It’s blood-splattered child’s play – a kind of Takeshi’s Castle with fatalities, or Saw with stylish shell suits.

If you can stomach the events of the first episode, what follows is a tightly written horror thriller that has captivated viewers. The nine-part series is the first Korean show to reach the top spot on the streaming platform in the US, and is currently number one in the UK. Its success won’t come as a surprise to a generation of viewers who got hooked on murderous dystopian series The Hunger Games and cult favourite Battle Royale. But Squid Game’s backdrop is South Korea’s present-day, very real wealth inequality . . .
    For the full article see: The Guardian

SG.jpg
    Remember: Coughs and sneezes spread diseases

Liked

Re: Squid Game

I started it but stopped after about 30 minutes. The over acting in Korean dramas is irritating. I'll try again.

This by the way is an extended version of a one off drama called Most Dangerous Game starring double Oscar winner Christoph Waltz.

Liked

A friend recommended the Squid Game to me as a thought provoking analysis of human character.
    I found it mildly interesting although the identity of the mastermind behind the Game came as a surprise.

Liked

I have heard/read about it, references to Squid Game are all over social media. Sounds interesting, some day I will watch it.

Liked

Basically the Squid Game is about senseless killing!

Liked

Spoiler Alert view only if interested in the following post.

Liked

Spoiler Alert.

I should add to my earlier comment that the killing of contestants in the Game is to satisfy the fantasies of a handful of rich men some of whom are gay.

Liked

its the best game)