Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: So I decided to go...

Liked: 1

So I decided to go...

Hey gents,
    Thanks again for you helpful replies to my question about whether it's worth going to Pattaya. I'm due to arrive on 1st June. I hope Thailand Pass will be gone from that date but I won't hold my breath. Thanks to your replies I have a much better idea of what to expect in Pattaya. But in a practical sense, what are COVID restrictions like on the ground. Do you have to wear a mask when you're out and about in the streets? And what about in bars or sat at the swimming pool? I fear I', going to get a funny-looking tan if I have to wear the mask everywhere. Are baht buses still 10 baht? I've booked to stay at The Base Condo. Will security stop me from bringing "friends" back to my room? Will I get any answers to these questions?! I must know.
    Thank you.

P.S. I took your advice and joined Hornet. It's ok. But as I'm not there yet and don't have a picture as this is all secret (although I do send upon request)t, I'm getting limited responses. I'll keep trying.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: So I decided to go...

Baht buses-Be a "big wheel" and give them a whopping 20 baht- 33 cents extra...

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by hammeredmsi View Post
    Hey gents,
    Do you have to wear a mask when you're out and about in the streets? And what about in bars or sat at the swimming pool?
    Mask is compulsory in the street.

However masks can be taken off for exercise. So if like me you exercise along the road beside Dongtan Beach I take it off. Same in exercise parks.

Masks are not required for eating or drinking, so as soon as you enter a restaurant or bar you can lose the mask.

Not sure about the pool. But if you have a drink of water with you then you have an excuse to bin the mask.

You will find that the rules about signing into restaurants and bars are generally ignored.

Liked

In about 44 trips I have never had security stop me taking a guest to the room but they have often required an id card or passport from them to hold. Sometimes that has meant the guest getting a taxi back to their room for their id. I always book a room for 2 so that is never a debate with the hotel.

Liked

My understanding is that (pre covid) the Base is more or less the equivalent of a Beijing apartment block. Loads of titchy apartments, few lifts and overcrowded by Chinese tourists who will bash you out of the way to get into the lift

I guess things may have changed post Covid, but in my opinion there are 999 other condo developments in Pattaya that may be more suitable

6. 3 Users gave Like to post:

Dodger (May 7th, 2022), Ruthrieston (May 7th, 2022), vnman (May 12th, 2022)

Liked

A friend of mine rented a condo in the Base twice a before Covid. The rooms are minute. Be grateful that the Chinese tour groups have not yet reappeared because Colmx's description of their behaviour is completely accurate, they would literally rush at the opening lift doors and elbow or push you out of the way. Security was non-existent.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Accommodation is so cheap in Thailand, and particularly in Pattaya, that spending few extra baht a night can make a huge difference. This is true whether choosing a higher grade in a hotel or a hotel itself.

9. 2 Users gave Like to post:

Dodger (May 9th, 2022), poshglasgow (May 19th, 2022)

Liked

The rules and procedures for id’s do vary depending on your hotel or maybe condo. If you off boys from the Jomtien Complex bars they could be non-Thai, frequently Cambodian, in which case they would be presenting their passport. Some hotels inspect id’s very carefully particularly if they have not encountered the boy before, whereas others just give it a cursory glance. At smaller places I have occasionally found the reception unstaffed or the clerk asleep and the temptation then is just to proceed to the room. This is not to be advised as the system is partly for our own protection in that it filters out underaged or boys known to be thieves. The best places will give you a call when the boy is asking for his Id return, to make sure everything is ok. Don’t just say “yes” - look around to make sure all your key possessions (phone, wallet, etc) are present. A few are light fingered and regard towels etc as fair game and missing ones you will find charged to your account.
    Having said all of the above i have to say that I have experienced few problems at Pattaya hotels in general and also at those known to be gay orientated.

11. 2 Users gave Like to post:

arsenal (May 9th, 2022), poshglasgow (May 19th, 2022)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Not one instance of dishonesty experienced in Thailand over twenty-five years.
    Fortunate? no. The guys on the scene whom I used to invite to my room were invariably decent people trying to make an honest living. But more than that, I knew never to leave valuables lying around in the open while showering.

13. 4 Users gave Like to post:

a447 (May 12th, 2022), arsenal (May 12th, 2022), Kenny (May 12th, 2022), poshglasgow (May 19th, 2022)