Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Jomtien Complex A.K.A. Supertown A.K.A. God’s Waiting Room

Liked

Re: Jomtien Complex A.K.A. Supertown A.K.A. God’s Waiting Room

Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    The term "geriatric" is basically an offensive term when applied to older persons. As well as many other terms such as elderly, geezer, old timer, etc. There seems to be few words with a positive slant in English that I am aware to refer to older persons although "venerable" has a positive connotation. Fortunately the Thais/Asians don't seem to have negative feelings toward older people and treat them with the respect they deserve.
    Have you become unduly sensitive in your old age? There is nothing offensive about the terms geriatric, elderly, geezer or old-timer. Indeed geezer can have positive connotations such “grand old geezer or decent geezer” and old timers are often thought to have experience and be able to reminisce about the past etc. Geriatric medicine is a huge branch of medicine looking after the needs of the elderly - what is offensive about that?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

The term "geriatric" is basically an offensive term when applied to older persons. As well as many other terms such as elderly, geezer, old timer, etc. There seems to be few words with a positive slant in English that I am aware to refer to older persons although "venerable" has a positive connotation. Fortunately the Thais/Asians don't seem to have negative feelings toward older people and treat them with the respect they deserve.
    I hate it when a boy calls me "Pappa". Fucks up the whole fantasy!

3. User who gave Like to post:

a447 (April 24th, 2022)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Andaman! View Post
    Have you become unduly sensitive in your old age? There is nothing offensive about the terms geriatric, elderly, geezer or old-timer. Indeed geezer can have positive connotations such “grand old geezer or decent geezer” and old timers are often thought to have experience and be able to reminisce about the past etc. Geriatric medicine is a huge branch of medicine looking after the needs of the elderly - what is offensive about that?
    I disagree with respect to the term geriatric. It may be a respected branch of medicine, but the term is often used in a derogatory way, such as 'god he's geriatric', etc, clearly intended to be offensive.

5. User who gave Like to post:

francois (April 24th, 2022)

Liked

The word is not offensive. Hospitals have Geriatric wards. They are not going out of their way to insult their patients.

I disagree with respect to the term geriatric. It may be a respected branch of medicine, but the term is often used in a derogatory way,........ clearly intended to be offensive.
    Well, just about any word can be offensive - it all depends on how it is said. "Gay" is a good example of this.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Andaman! View Post
    Here is an article (one of many on the internet) which lists offensive terms for seniors.

https://www.medicareadvantage.com/ne...eotypes-report

Liked

What started the downfall of boys town to my mind was the awful loud music played, and cost of drinks in most of the bars

Liked

Here is an article (one of many on the internet) which lists offensive terms for seniors.
    I don't look to the internet to determine which words are offensive and which are not. Apart from the obvious ones (e.g. the "n" word), I can decide for myself.

As for Jomtien Complex being filled with old people, surely the same goes for all the gay venues in Pattaya. The girlie bars attract guys both young and old.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by a447 View Post
    I don't look to the internet to determine which words are offensive and which are not. Apart from the obvious ones (e.g. the "n" word), I can decide for myself.
    With time, language does change, thus essential to keep up with those changes by whatever means necessary whether the internet or otherwise. Once words like imbecile, idiot, feeble-minded, faggot, fairy,pansy, etc were commonly accepted but no longer. I admit, some of the newer terms/words are confusing especially for an old,decrepit,feeble geezer as myself, but I do my best.

11. 2 Users gave Like to post:

Dodger (April 25th, 2022), Ruthrieston (April 26th, 2022)

Liked

Here is another article regarding terms of ageism with some suggested ideas.

https://www.joincake.com/blog/altern...nior-citizens/

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by aot871 View Post
    What started the downfall of boys town to my mind was the awful loud music played, and cost of drinks in most of the bars
    I would add to that the desire of some bars and Gogo’s to make as much money as possible from the straight Chinese visitors at the expense of the gay community.

14. 2 Users gave Like to post:

Andy (April 26th, 2022), Ruthrieston (April 26th, 2022)