Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pattaya's Finest

Liked

Re: Pattaya's Finest

I agree about the requirement for an attitude change.
    Just execute any police officer or other official requesting a bribe, obviously after a cut off date.

No Platformed
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by goji View Post
    I agree about the requirement for an attitude change.
    Just execute any police officer or other official requesting a bribe, obviously after a cut off date.
    Surely that’s the solution for prison overcrowding - just execute everyone convicted of any crime?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by bkkguy View Post

......and it takes two to tango, someone is paying this corruption money - what was the survey a few years ago that showed a large percentage of the population were willing to go along with corruption payments if they got some benefit?
    Yep...this is totally ingrained in the culture.

It starts at the VERY top...everyone follows suit...it becomes acceptable practice...they remain blind.

Jai and I had this uncomfortable conversation several years ago when I decided to get a Will made. My instructions to him were very clear: "If I were to die at home the very first thing you do is put the contents of the room safe in your man-purse". "Then you call the ambulance".

The BIB, who are paid less money than an average 7/11 clerk, understand when they take these jobs that their total net earnings are an aggregate of their monthly salaries - plus any residual funds they earn under-the-table. To the Thai people, paying tea money and bribes is completely understandable, and actually considered acceptable practice. That's how deeply the corruption in Thailand has permeated the culture. Again, it starts at the very top.

4. User who gave Like to post:

Ruthrieston (February 19th, 2022)

Liked

The police are paid above the minimum wage. I wouldn't have thought that's a good justification for them to get involved in collecting bribes, extortion and petty crime, like robbing the dead.

However, with the fox firmly in charge of the henhouse, I guess its best to take a few countermearures to avoid being robbed by them upon one's death.
    It isn't that difficult to have a decoy safe and a separate concealed compartment for any valuables.

No Platformed
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by goji View Post
    The police are paid above the minimum wage. I wouldn't have thought that's a good justification for them to get involved in collecting bribes, extortion and petty crime, like robbing the dead.
    And there was I thinking goji had no sense of humour

7. User who gave Like to post:

snotface (February 18th, 2022)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
    The BIB, who are paid less money than an average 7/11 clerk, understand when they take these jobs that their total net earnings are an aggregate of their monthly salaries - plus any residual funds they earn under-the-table.
    I find it interesting to be in this discussion here at this time - one of the podcasts I listen to ("Bad Gays") is currently focused on the recent resignation of Cressida Dick and the London Metropolitan Police, their focus is more on institutionalised racism, misogyny and homophopia in the Met, but they have had some interesting comments about "people who take these jobs" given what they know that are just as relevant to the discussion of corruption here!

To the Thai people, paying tea money and bribes is completely understandable, and actually considered acceptable practice.
    I don't know that I agree with this - it is the classic distinction between acceptance and tolerance! I would say paying bribes and tea money are a fact of life and are tolerated but I don't know that too many people find it "understandable" and "acceptable"!
    I can’t even be bothered to be apathetic these days!

9. User who gave Like to post:

poshglasgow (February 25th, 2022)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by StevieWonders View Post
    Surely that’s the solution for prison overcrowding - just execute everyone convicted of any crime?
    surely before going down this path you need to start with executing corrupt officials who falsely accuse or convict innocent people of crimes they did not commit?
    I can’t even be bothered to be apathetic these days!

11. User who gave Like to post:

Dodger (February 19th, 2022)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by bkkguy View Post

I don't know that I agree with this - it is the classic distinction between acceptance and tolerance! I would say paying bribes and tea money are a fact of life and are tolerated but I don't know that too many people find it "understandable" and "acceptable"!
    Agree, "Tolerance" would have been a much better choice of words.

You have to excuse me sometimes, because I never had the opportunity to study the English language as others have. I left school at age 13 after completing 7th grade...went to work...and never returned to a classroom after that.. I am self-taught...give myself an "A" for effort...but a C minus for academic accuracy. Did I say that right???

No Platformed
    Liked

Agree, "Tolerance" would have been a much better choice of words.

You have to excuse me sometimes, because I never had the opportunity to study the English language as others have. I left school at age 13 after completing 7th grade...went to work...and never returned to a classroom after that.. I am self-taught...give myself an "A" for effort...but a C minus for academic accuracy. Did I say that right???
    ‘F’ for comprehension

Liked

I am self-taught...give myself an "A" for effort...but a C minus for academic accuracy. Did I say that right???
    and an "I" for integrity