Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 7 of 282 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757107 ... LastLast

Thread: The Brink of War?

No Platformed
    Liked

Re: The Brink of War?

Quote Originally Posted by alvnv View Post
    By that logic, it was Russian for less than 200 years, while it was Ottoman for almost twice as long - does that mean that Turkey should lay claims on it now?
    There are similar claims all the time by indigenous “spokesmen” with a chip on their shoulder about the “invasions” by Europeans they suffered/endured. My answer is that “we” have ALL endured them at one time or another - the Romans “invaded” much of Europe and Asia Minor. The Normans invaded, occupied and to a certain extent ethnically cleansed England from 1066 onwards. The indigenes are carrying out a form of cultural appropriation by claiming one of Rousseau’s main ideas as their own - “the Noble Savage”

2. User who gave Like to post:

arsenal (February 1st, 2022)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt View Post
    You do know that sentence makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, right?

You took a few words from several totally different and unrelated situations, and mashed them together somehow with I guess of hopes of making some kind of point... somehow?

You must be suffering from aphasia, or something. I'm sure you meant to make some sort of valid point, for example, not sure why I would be sending out tweets on SGT. This isn't Twitter.
    See!
    You don't have issues with spelling at all!

Liked

"There are similar claims all the time by indigenous “spokesmen” with a chip on their shoulder about the “invasions” by Europeans they suffered/endured. My answer is that “we” have ALL endured them at one time or another - the Romans “invaded” much of Europe and Asia Minor. The Normans invaded, occupied and to a certain extent ethnically cleansed England from 1066 onwards. The indigenes are carrying out a form of cultural appropriation by claiming one of Rousseau’s main ideas as their own - “the Noble Savage”"

It seems we are a seamless garment on this issue. 'My ancestors came here 12000 years ago therefore I'm entitled to...Connecticut.' And for once I'm not criticising you but they've stopped using the word "indigenous' because of it's innacuracy and started calling themselves 'first nations'. Now if you'll excuse me I'm seeking reparations from the Vikings, the Normans and of course, the Romans.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by dinagam View Post
    See!
    You don't have issues with spelling at all!
    What? Yes, I do know how to spell.

Yes, I make typos sometimes, all depending on how quickly I'm typing (and how many drinks I have in me . Again, you're not making any sense whatsoever.

Liked

Because you have been drinking big time..

No Platformed
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by arsenal View Post
    It seems we are a seamless garment on this issue. 'My ancestors came here 12000 years ago therefore I'm entitled to...Connecticut.' And for once I'm not criticising you but they've stopped using the word "indigenous' because of it's innacuracy and started calling themselves 'first nations'. Now if you'll excuse me I'm seeking reparations from the Vikings, the Normans and of course, the Romans.
    I'm pleased to hear you'll be joining me in my various class actions. As for "calling themselves" I understand that drag queens are often calling themselves "trans" and sometimes "gender diverse" nowadays although I prefer "fantasists" myself. I am "age diverse"

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Nothing confusing about this crap at all:

Putin's been creaming in his jeans to rebuild the Soviet Union since birth. This is all he thinks about...his perceived legacy.

There's only one direction to go, and that's West, unless he wants to attack penguins in Siberia.

Will he attack Ukraine in the near-future? No

Why? Because the U.S. and it's NATO allies don't want another Soviet Union. Been there - done that.

What's next? Putin agrees to remove some (not all) troops from Ukraine's border in exchange for a partial (with conditions) gas contract with Germany to save face and keep money flowing in the oligarchs pockets. He'll regroup somewhere down-the-road...develop another strategy for expanding into Europe...and round and round the wheel turns.

How did Putin blunder? A miscalculation: Predicting that NATO, which has been a bit fragmented lately, would not band together as tightly as they have to stop him in his tracks.

Hopefully, Ukraine will one day be approved for membership in NATO so they don't continue to be used as a pawn in a chess game between giants. I imagine the people there might be just a little more comfortable going to bed at night without having missiles aimed at their front doors. Just a guess.

On a personal note: I just wish all those Ukrainian and Russian boys would put those nasty weapons down and get together for some skinny-dipping in a local pond. There's some real dolls over there (on both sides) wasting there time and energy on all this war nonsense. They should get all those Hot Rockets they have pointed in the right direction, and straight up my welcoming ass would be a start.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by alvnv View Post
    Only because Russians conducted ethic cleansing of Crimea by deporting Crimean Tatars - an act recognized as genocide by some countries
    Stalin was Georgian, not Russian.

Recognizing this "genocide" by Ukraine... well, country that implementing "language law", denies autonomy right for any nationality within Ukraine... does it has sense?
    Bali (Indonesia), Cambodia, Myanmar, Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam and Laos: gay guides and companions http://siamroads.com

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    Stalin was Georgian, not Russian.
    haha, classic Moses.

And Hitler was Austrian, but you don't see anyone blaming Vienna for WWII, now do you?

11. User who gave Like to post:

vnman (January 16th, 2023)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt View Post
    haha, classic Moses.

And Hitler was Austrian, but you don't see anyone blaming Vienna for WWII, now do you?
    Within Soviet Union you can't blame "Russians" for all what has been happened. That is "typical" for Ukrainian propaganda now.

Ukrainian and Russian languages has words distinguishing nationality and country of origin: "Russians" as a nationality and "Rossians" as a pointer to country of origin (artificial word just created by me for to explain how it works here, in Russian transcription: "Russkie" and "Rossiyane"). All citizens of Russia are "Rossiyane", but Ukrainian propaganda still blame "Russians" despite half of Bolsheviks were Jewish, Stalin was Georgian and so on.

At time of USSR here was construct "Soviet people", like "Americans" in US. You can blame communists and Communist Party as persons and organization that made this deportation, but blame "Russians" for that is unfair and racisms.

By the way: look on countries what recognize deportation of Crimean Tatars as a genocide:

- Ukraine. Do I need to comment what country does not allow federalism and insist what no nation may have autonomy within Ukraine, what only language for official use and for any communications with official, also on TV and newspapers must be Ukrainian? Language in schools must be Ukrainian. No local languages are allowed despite Ukraine has regions with huge population of Hungarians, Gagauz, Russians. There is "Language Police" that checks what language uses sellers in shops and on markets, what language uses bus drivers for to communicate with passengers. There left less than 1% of schools with teaching on Russian language, since 2014 most schools with Russian language were closed.

- Latvia. Country where exists segregation - 2 sorts of citizens: "Citizen" with passport of citizen who may vote on elections and with passport of "non-citizen" who can't vote on election. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-citizens_(Latvia). Country which expels more than half million of Russians from territory by declaring them "non-citizen". There were over 750000 Russian citizens of Latvia in 1991 and now there are less then 200000.

- Canada. Should we speak about destiny of indigenous people and their genocide? Matt, tell me please does Canada recognize tragedy of indigenous people as a genocide?
    Bali (Indonesia), Cambodia, Myanmar, Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam and Laos: gay guides and companions http://siamroads.com