List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Music Volume: When will they ever learn ?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Music Volume: When will they ever learn ?

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver2 View Post

At the same time, three gay hotels were being affected to their detriment. Something, by the way, the managers complained about. And were ignored.
    During my early visits to Thailand Boyztown was my home-away-from-home. I loved it...spent every night there...and didn't mind the loud music at all. BUT, I never once considered staying in one of the hotels you're referencing because I wanted peace and quiet when my head hit the pillow. I never could figure out why guys who are bothered by loud music, (which would bother me too if I was trying to relax or sleep), would stay in these places. Go figure!

I made the mistake during my first visit to Phuket buy staying in a room right above a bar in Paradise Complex. The bass speakers were so loud that the pictures on the walls in my room were tilted...I kid you not. The boy I had with me that night just sat in the bed laughing. I checked out the next morning and found a B&B a few blocks away which worked out fine.

As my mind wanders...I remember sitting with a small group of boys in the old Butterfly Karaoke (Soi Day/Night - behind the old Hollywood Disco) listening to a ladyboy lip-syncing a Thai pop song which was playing at full volume. The place was packed...drinks were flowing...everyone was having a great time. Then, in walks a farang with a few boys in tow who sat in the circular sofa right next to ours. The minute the waiter walked up to his table he started making these strange facial expressions while simultaneously holding both ears. He then abruptly demanded that the waiter have the music volume lowered. The boys who were with him just looked down at the ground in embarrassment, as did the waiter. The music played on...as did the farangs continuous complaining, until the manager (a stocky ladyboy mamasan) finally came to his table - handed him his bin - and asked him to leave.

Liked

What a stupid debate this is. It's like going to a swimming pool then complaining to the lifeguard there's too many women in bikinis and you think they should be wearing one piece's instead.

It's just dumb.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by goji View Post

We've been having our cake and eating it for years, as the majority of bars catering to mature farang keep the music at a sensible level.

If the music volume at the majority of bars is acceptable to you - then where's the problem?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

No Platformed
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt View Post
    What a stupid debate this is. It's like going to a swimming pool then complaining to the lifeguard there's too many women in bikinis and you think they should be wearing one piece's instead.

It's just dumb.
    You should feel right at home

Forum's veteran
    Liked

There are numerous medical reports that identify loud-noise as being detrimental to health. Some of the guys who work in Boyztown will pay the price of reduced hearing in middle-age and beyond.

By the way, this danger includes professional musicians who play in orchestras, hence the changes that are being made to ensure that those who sit directly in front of the brass section are protected.

And what we are talking about here is electronically- produced sounds emanating from huge speakers that can be heard, not just in Boyztown, but in surrounding areas.

Why?

As a twelve-year old I sang in the boys' choir in a Royal Albert Hall performance of Mahler's Eighth Symphony- the "Symphony of a Thousand", and even that number of performers couldn't compete with the array of massive loud-speakers we see nowadays, piled on top of one another.

Keep the d****d things behind closed doors if you have to have them. Throb, by the way, had a superb system- the best I've ever heard and I'm a hi-fi enthusiast- immeasurably superior to the home made stuff we see on the streets. And inoffensive to the community.

Liked

This discussion has been on the forum since I joined (2009). I don't like loud music, and before I enter a gogo bar, I take a look if there are enough boys on stage to make it worth my time and money, and I judge the music volume and if too high I tell staff "too loud" and leave.

If the boys in gogo bar or disco justify spending time there, but music is too loud, I put in my earplugs or tissue. Rather be "the guy with the earplugs" now than "the hard-of hearing guy" later in life. I have seen boys with tissue in their ears for the same reason.

Liked

I don't mind loud music - I usually crank up the audio system at home and in the car, but only when I am by myself.

If someone is with me I turn it down, or off, so that I can enjoy conversation.

I go to a bar to talk to the guys so earplugs would be of little use. If the music is so loud as to prevent conversation, I will just go somewhere else.

The bar will miss out on my money (as will the guys) but that is not my problem.

9. 4 Users gave Like to post:

Andy (January 23rd, 2022), Dodger (January 23rd, 2022), gerefan2 (January 23rd, 2022), goji (January 23rd, 2022)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
    If the music volume at the majority of bars is acceptable to you - then where's the problem?
    When one Boyztown bar plays music so loud that it f***s up civilized conversation in the whole of Boyztown, that's a problem.
    A problem, but not a major one, since I can go to Jomtien or Sunee.
    Of course, since you don't go to the bars yourself, what's your problem when those of us who expect to hold a conversation at a bar complain about loud music preventing it ?

People go to bars to socialize. Loud music prevents social interaction. It also damages hearing, so no one gains.

11. User who gave Like to post:

Andy (January 23rd, 2022)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by christianpfc View Post

I have seen boys with tissue in their ears for the same reason.
    The tissue in their ears is probably to prevent listening to your complaining all night...LOL