Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: A walk on Dongtan Beach

Liked

A walk on Dongtan Beach

Dongtan beach is perhaps the least reported of Pattaya's gay areas, but that's not to say its either unpopular or unknown, its just not very controversial I guess.
    During this holiday I have spent more time there than on previous visits, enjoying it just for what it is - a beautiful beach with a vibrant gay community all of its own.
    It has changed, of course, the development of the plaza beside the police station, the full length promenade with its palm trees and street lighting, public toilets and parking were all completed before covid struck. These changes, controversial though they may have been to some, have bedded in well in the intervening years and the place looks pretty good, it has to be said.

The Plaza at the south end of the beach really comes alive as the sun goes down, popular with competing dance fitness groups among others. It is also a natural cruising ground, popular with young freelancers.

The lifeguards are back!

However, they are a far cry from the speedo clad athletic youths of Dongtan lore. Indeed today's lifesavers are more likely to be found hunched over their smartphones under a tree. In case of drowning, please send them a text message.

Dongtan was very busy over the New Year holiday, packed with beachgoers from at home and abroad.
    The holiday is over now but there are still reasonable numbers of sun worshippers all along the beach.

The gay area runs between the two pillbox shaped public toilets, or between Tui's place and Rabbit Resort if you prefer.
    It remains busy with all the beach chair concessions entertaining customers. Some of the more popular ones are about half full. The smiling Thai concessionaires, masseurs and waiters were being kept busy.

Further along the beach, the three beach volleyball courts were empty, a case of poor timing on my part!

The paved promenade continues all the way to the beach end at Pratamnak Soi 6, where it is book-ended by Sands Cafe, a welcome stopping point on my beach walk. It is 30 degrees in January, after all.

Dongtan Beach faces west, providing the perfect aspect for beautiful sunsets. The perfect way to end the day...

2. 31 Users gave Like to post:

2lz2p (January 14th, 2022), a447 (January 14th, 2022), AdamKY (January 15th, 2022), Andy (January 14th, 2022), Aux1010 (January 15th, 2022), BenCH (January 15th, 2022), catawampuscat (January 20th, 2022), christianpfc (January 16th, 2022), dab69 (January 14th, 2022), Dax (January 15th, 2022), daydreamer (February 8th, 2022), dinagam (January 14th, 2022), Dodger (January 14th, 2022), dubdavie (January 15th, 2022), francois (January 14th, 2022), gerefan2 (January 14th, 2022), goji (January 14th, 2022), Jellybean (January 14th, 2022), jvt22222 (January 15th, 2022), llz (January 15th, 2022), Mancs (January 14th, 2022), Moses (January 14th, 2022), neddy3 (January 15th, 2022), Oliver2 (January 14th, 2022), Patanawet (January 14th, 2022), pennyboy (January 15th, 2022), pong (January 14th, 2022), poshglasgow (January 18th, 2022), Ruthrieston (January 15th, 2022), snotface (January 14th, 2022), splinter1949 (January 15th, 2022)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: A walk on Dongtan Beach

My favourite evening walk. Park the bike at Sands Cafe and walk to Jomtien and back. Just under a mile each way.

It’s safe after dark too. Sometimes I prefer it later on.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Great pics Kenny...much appreciated!

I haven't visited Jomtien Beach at nighttime in quite a while - but will have to buzz around the bay to check it out soon.

5. 2 Users gave Like to post:

Kenny (January 14th, 2022), Patanawet (January 16th, 2022)

Liked

Nice pictures, Kenny, nothing like a few pictures to remind you what you are missing in your life. Thanks for the walk down memory lane.

7. 2 Users gave Like to post:

Kenny (January 15th, 2022), neddy3 (January 15th, 2022)

Liked

What is the state of the water now? I used to love lounging at the beach half a dozen and more years ago but the water was freqently filthy, a result partly from plastic bags and partly the sewage outlet further down the beach.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Armando View Post
    What is the state of the water now? I used to love lounging at the beach half a dozen and more years ago but the water was freqently filthy, a result partly from plastic bags and partly the sewage outlet further down the beach.
    Unfortunately, the water quality in Jomtien is still a concern because of a screwed up water sewerage system. This is just one (of many) reasons I moved around the bay to Bang Saray - where the water is actually clear. What a concept!

10. User who gave Like to post:

Brad the Impala (January 15th, 2022)

Liked

Hello pigseye27, welcome to the forum! It looks like you posted your comments using the red triangle button which goes directly to the Moderators instead of pressing the Post Quick Reply or Submit Reply button (See photo below). I have copied and re-posted your comments below:

Quote Originally Posted by pigseye27 View Post
    Thanks for posting pics! A sight for sore eyes and hope to see in person later this year…
    Quick reply.jpg
    Last edited by Jellybean; January 15th, 2022 at 23:35.
    Remember: Coughs and sneezes spread diseases

Liked

I had a look at Jomtien beach two weeks ago and it was low tide during day. I noticed several sea urchins / sea hedgehogs, live and dead, with spikes broken off but still spiky enough to seriously injure your foot if you step on one. For a swim at night I put on shoes. The seawater in Jomtien has fluorescent plankton, but to get away from the lights on the beach you have to into the sea about 200 m, and then the density of plankton is below average (compared to beaches in Cambodia that I sampled)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by christianpfc View Post

The seawater in Jomtien has fluorescent plankton, but to get away from the lights on the beach you have to into the sea about 200 m, and then the density of plankton is below average (compared to beaches in Cambodia that I sampled)
    Be careful: Things like the florescent plankton you describe, as well as the luminescent algae you can also see twinkling along the seascape can poison sea life and make humans very sick if they come into contact with it, so swimming is not advised.

I wouldn't go swimming anywhere along the seaboard in Thailand without wearing rubber dive shoes. Jai and I have stepped on everything from razor sharp mollusk shells to giant box crabs along the shores of Bang Saray - and if it weren't for the dive shoes we would have been in the clinic getting stitched up.