Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bangkok Cancels New Year’s Celebrations

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Bangkok Cancels New Year’s

Just for clarification:

Bangkok has canceled it's New Years celebrations, but, from all accounts, the New Year itself won't be cancelled.

We're still expected to be entering 2022 at the strike of midnight on Dec 31st until further notice.

In the event that the CCSA does in fact cancel the New Year, provisions will be made to refund any money spent by people on 2022 calendars.

3. 11 Users gave Like to post:

a447 (December 24th, 2021), arsenal (December 24th, 2021), christianpfc (December 28th, 2021), Manforallseasons (December 24th, 2021), Moggy (December 24th, 2021), Moses (December 24th, 2021), Nirish guy (December 24th, 2021), Oliver2 (December 24th, 2021), Ruthrieston (December 25th, 2021), snotface (December 25th, 2021), splinter1949 (December 26th, 2021)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

A huge relief; if there's ever been one year in my life that I do not wish to continue, it's 2021.

5. 5 Users gave Like to post:

AdamKY (December 24th, 2021), BenCH (December 25th, 2021), billyhouston (December 24th, 2021), Dodger (December 24th, 2021), Ruthrieston (December 25th, 2021)

Liked

Up until Covid struck I rarely spent New Year in Australia; in fact, I think I've only remained in Perth twice since I returned from Japan.

I've been in Bangkok 3 or 4 times and although I enjoyed the celebrations outside Central World, they were nothing to write home about.

Other than that, I've spent NY in Tokyo or various places in Europe.

But one of the best New Years Eves ever was spent in Pattaya, down on the beach with my regular guy (at the time). We sent dozens of lanterns into the sky and then went back to the hotel to enjoy what the Japanese call "yarizome" - the first fuck of the new year.

It's a shame that this year the celebrations in Bkk have been cancelled, but I think that's the case in other cities around the world, too.

Anyway, while I'm at it, here's wishing you all a safe and very merry Christmas! And a much, much better 2022.

That's the least we can ask for!

7. 5 Users gave Like to post:

arsenal (December 24th, 2021), Dodger (December 24th, 2021), Oliver2 (December 25th, 2021), Ruthrieston (December 25th, 2021), splinter1949 (December 26th, 2021)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Indeed, as such the celebrations for 1/1 are not that special. PLus that its a plus that BKK empties out the days before and traffic is a breeze-for those 2-3 days/yr.
    I always found it quite amusing that most of the MBs had high expectations of 1/1-somehow the Thai superstitious belief was that many of those ´yarizomes´ could be expected and the rewards were or should be ample. Even more from the female ditto ladies. It most of times however did not really materialise in that amount-but next yr hopes were same-same or even higher.
    Fondly remember some of the New/Old Year ´pahtees' or celebrations in some bars-alas, all of those wild ones seem to have closed.
    Special congratulations to the happy few that were able to sneak in TH during that short opened window of opportunity with that Green/TH-Pass-like der christian and vinapu. Await their reports with happy anticipations!
    And for all the other : in Thai: Melly KLissemes! That many bells may jingle and even more Rudolphes may bring lots of presents!

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver2 View Post
    A huge relief; if there's ever been one year in my life that I do not wish to continue, it's 2021.
    at the end of 2019 the panel on a BBC news comedy/satire program were hoping for a new news topic to replace Brexit
    at the end of 2020 the same panel were regretting even thinking this
    at the end of 2021 the same panel felt that next year would be deja vu all over again because it will just be 2020 too (2022)

I am not a fan of British politics, but if you need some light relief Mock the Week is still one of my favourite BBC programs, with Have I Got News for You a close second - YouTube is your friend
    I can’t even be bothered to be apathetic these days!

Forum's veteran Brad the Impala's Avatar
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by a447 View Post

But one of the best New Years Eves ever was spent in Pattaya, down on the beach with my regular guy (at the time). We sent dozens of lanterns into the sky and then went back to the hotel to enjoy what the Japanese call "yarizome" - the first fuck of the new year.
    Bless them, surely only the Japanese could have a name for the first fuck of the new year!

11. User who gave Like to post:

Ruthrieston (December 25th, 2021)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Brad the Impala View Post
    Bless them, surely only the Japanese could have a name for the first fuck of the new year!
    Yep. Don't you just love 'em?

They have a word for everything, many of which (like yarizome) don't appear in the dictionary.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

"Yarizome" is irrelevant to me. What's the Japanese word for the first one since God-knows-when?

14. User who gave Like to post:

Ruthrieston (December 26th, 2021)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver2 View Post
    "Yarizome" is irrelevant to me. What's the Japanese word for the first one since God-knows-when?
    YATTA!!!

See? They do have a word for everything! Lol

16. 3 Users gave Like to post:

Brad the Impala (December 25th, 2021), Oliver2 (December 25th, 2021), Ruthrieston (December 26th, 2021)