Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jomtien Complex Raid December 10

Liked

Jomtien Complex Raid December 10

Last night, Friday 10th, the police closed all restaurants and bars in Jomtien Complex main soi with the threat of jail if they open again before January 16th. This included the restaurants with SHA and SHA Plus registration.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Jomtien Complex Raid December 10

Wow!

First I've heard of this.

Where did you hear this news?

Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked

Pattaya has a new police chief wether this has something to do with this who knows, it will be interesting to see if they also raided the girlie bars, why do any bars think they needn’t have the required documents to sell alcohol in the first place? Perhaps they were “ready to rock” a tad too soon!
    "In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Manforallseasons View Post

Pattaya has a new police chief wether this has something to do with this who knows, it will be interesting to see if they also raided the girlie bars,
    You're reading my mind.

Jai saw something on the news last night about a few places on Soi Bui chao getting busted as well. At least they're nor singling out "gays".

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
    Unfortunately I saw for myself. I walked through this evening, Saturday December 11. Dead as a doornail. Mostly dark. A couple restaurants were open. A couple massage shops were open. The only bar I saw open was @Home bar. I doubt there was a total of more than 25 boys in the entire complex.

While most of us want to see the bars reopen and many of us see no point to continuing to forbid the bars from serving alcohol, apparently that is precisely what they were doing anyway. They had no legal right to do that. Oh well, so much for Christmas and New Year's Eve. While we may not like it, the police had every right to shut down venues caught breaking the rules.

Regarding the restaurant closings, both Yupin's and Divarium restaurants were open. Divarium was packed with farang customers.

If the restaurants were operating within the rules and had their SHA certification, the police would have no legal grounds to order them closed.

6. 2 Users gave Like to post:

catawampuscat (December 11th, 2021), Manforallseasons (December 11th, 2021)

Liked

Was Adonis open?

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Gaybutton View Post
    I walked through this evening, Saturday December 11. Dead as a doornail. Mostly dark.
    You must be ecstatic. You got your wish.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaybutton View Post

Oh well, so much for Christmas and New Year's Eve.
    Now you have found new angle - Jomtien Complex gay bars have cancelled Christmas.

Accusing Jomtien gay bars of ruining Christmas is Bill O'Reilly, formerly Fox News level of madness accusing Democrats cancelling Christmas, fabricating such garbage, you should be ashamed. You don't blame Taleban-like Junta here with their hate of alcohol and idiotic alcohol restrictions, you blame bars in Jomtien Complex. You imply that bars would have been legally serving alcohol on Christmas Eve; if only they had not served today, how twisted is that!

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    Was Adonis open?
    I'm not sure. Most of the bars were closed. The only one I noticed still open was the @Home bar.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDutch View Post
    You must be ecstatic. You got your wish.
    Congratulations. You've just shown me that you're some kind of nut.

I don't know what makes you think I wanted something like that to happen, but that's your opinion. What reason would I have to wish the bars and gay venues forced to close? Go ahead - twist my words and intent to your heart's content.

10. User who gave Like to post:

mr giggles (December 12th, 2021)

Liked

Some people apparently don't like that I am trying to keep people planning a long haul flight and expensive holiday in Thailand as well informed as to what to expect as best as I can. Those who don't like that - too bad.
    __________________________________________________ _______

Police ban the appetite for booze in Jomtien’s gay street

By Barry Kenyon

December 11, 2021

A police raid at the Jomtien Complex, sometimes known as Super Town, has effectively closed the open-street gay bars just one week after they had reopened. It had been widely assumed that the bars were in the clear serving alcohol provided that they had obtained the SHA (Safety & Health Administration) certificate issued by government bodies.

However, Pattaya police and officials from the Department of Provincial Administration, which issues licenses, pointed out that the SHA certificate covers many types of businesses including restaurants, accommodation, travel agencies, health spas, souvenir shops etc. The SHA is not in itself a go-ahead to serve booze. The other requirement is that the business is licensed to serve food and – crucially – has eating as its main income earner.

Bars which serve booze as the mainstay, but offer food to customers as a sideline, are not deemed to be eligible under the Chonburi governor’s provincial edict of December 4 which specifies “restaurants”. They must also have the SHA certificate which requires a vaccinated staff, satisfactory sanitation and high-level public services. The popular Yupin’s restaurant in the Complex is an example of a fully-qualified business which can legally serve beer, wine and spirits to dining customers.

Police captain Tanakit said that the bars in question were really posing as eateries to justify selling alcohol, but this was not the purpose of the provincial edict which was designed to limit the spread of Covid. If bars wished to operate, they must offer food and soft drinks only and should close by 9 pm. Making a commercial profit on this basis is a no-no, although one Complex bar has been open for coffee and cakes for several weeks already.

Properly licensed restaurants with SHA certification can serve alcohol from 11 am to 2 pm and 5 pm to 11 pm under the provincial decree. Police added that they had received reports in the last few days that parties had been held in the offending bars until well past midnight with minimal attention paid to social distancing and mask wearing. No bar owners, staff or customers were arrested during the initial raid, but warnings were issued in clear language.

The Jomtien Complex, prior to the pandemic, was the center of Pattaya’s once-famed gay scene with competitors Boyztown and Sunee Plaza already well past their prime. Police later told reporters that they were not specifically targeting gay venues, pointing out that their raids until now had been on non-gay establishments operating illegally. But bar workers in the Complex commented that a merry Christmas 2021 now seems out of the question.

Government spokesmen have said that the intention is to allow night life to operate normally from mid January. But this depends on the success of the national vaccination program, the level of Covid infections and, in particular, the behavior of the Omicron virus variant. Meanwhile, Pattaya’s well-known nighteries such as Walking Street and Sexy Soi 6 remain mostly shuttered. Shaking off the resort’s ghost town image is proving very difficult indeed.

https://www.pattayamail.com/latestne...-street-382600

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
    Wow!

First I've heard of this.

A bar owner sent me a message after the raid.

Since the raid @ Home Bar is open till 9.00 PM as a cafe and not selling alcohol.

13. User who gave Like to post:

Dodger (December 13th, 2021)