I did a search for answers to my questions... but I did not see them. rather than contaminate someone else's thread I started an new.

I'm retired and was hoping on a more extended winter tour around the SE Asia. start in Thailand, hang out for a month go to Laos over land to visit, maybe Cambodia, down to Penang.... The current Visa on Entry requirement you "must have return flight booked", or be denied entry ...is a problem. I was not planning on booking that until I grew tired of touring, and flights that allow changes are very expensive.... Any insights here? Buy a cheap ticket to Siam reap before i go? or do I need apply for an extended tourist visa?

any advice is appreciated. I was in Thailand in 2016, 2 visits 15 and 28 days.

Current Visa on entry requirements:
The visit is strictly for tourism purposes.

They must have a confirmed return ticket to show that they are flying out of Thailand within 30 days of entry, as appropriate. Open tickets do not qualify. Traveling overland out of Thailand by train, bus, etc to Cambodia, Laos, Malaysia (including en route to Singapore), Myanmar, etc may be accepted as proof of exiting Thailand. You may be asked to show your flight ticket on entering Thailand. If you do not possess a flight ticket to show you will be exiting Thailand within 30 days of entry you will be most likely refused entry.

It will also be necessary to prove that you have funds of at least 10,000 THB per person during your stay in Thailand.