List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: For those maybe just about to book flights - maybe wait and lets hope this DOESNT become a "thing"? :-(

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Forum's veteran
    Liked

For those maybe just about to book flights - maybe wait and lets hope this DOESNT become a "thing"? :-(

Sorry firstly I should say MEANT to add a question mark after the topic headline to make it an open question rather than a statement of opinion or fact !

So as just reported on BBC "breaking news" an hour ago,,,,,Reports of a new variant being discovered in Africa and quotes as below certainly dont fill one with any great rush to head out and book any long haul flights to anywhere just yet perhaps :-( Lets hope when the find out more it fizzles out !

"One expert described the variant, known as B.1.1.529, as "the worst one we've seen so far", and there is concern it has the potential to evade immunity."
    "he said the variant has a significant number of mutations, "perhaps double the number of mutations that we have seen in the Delta variant" He added: "And that would suggest that it may well be more transmissible and the current vaccines that we have may well be less effective."

On a plus point ? they did also say "
    it was not clear if the variant was more transmissible or resistant to vaccines and therefore it was too early to judge the risk it poses"

We'll see I guess.

The link to the full story,,,,
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-59424269

2. User who gave Like to post:

Patanawet (November 27th, 2021)

Liked

Re: For those maybe just about to book flights - maybe wait and lets hope this DOESNT become a "thing"? :-(

Coming up to two years since this all started. Two years of hope-dashed-hope-dashed-hope-dashed.

"It's not the despair, I can cope with the despair. It's the hope I can't cope with."
    John Cleese in Clockwise.

We hear you.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: For those maybe just about to book flights - maybe wait and lets hope this DOESNT become a "thing"? :-(

If people were to hold off on booking flights for their vacations until there were no more variants being discovered in the world, they may never get a chance to take a vacation again.

My position on this is very simple: Get myself fully vaccinated (done). Use common sense when it comes to social distancing, wearing face masks, etc., and, last-but-not-least, live my life the way I see fit.

More people die from "stress" than anything else, including covid-19. I just remind myself to laugh out loud every time I hear an overly paranoid person freaking out over this bullshit. Laughing is good for the soul.

5. 4 Users gave Like to post:

BenCH (November 27th, 2021), christianpfc (November 26th, 2021), DoubleDutch (November 26th, 2021), goji (November 26th, 2021)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
    If people were to hold off on booking flights for their vacations until there were no more variants being discovered in the world, they may never get a chance to take a vacation again.
    Correct, but I a lot of scientists are flagging up "hey, heres a new thing and we need to look into it as it could be a bigger problem than before" and airlines and the stock market are already factoring that into their thinking and planning then as per my OP IF 'I" was about to press "book" on a long haul flight personally I think I'd think it appropriate to give it a week or so until a bit more information was forthcoming re that perhaps, but each to their own of course.

My position on this is very simple: Get myself fully vaccinated (done).
    Totally agree there, do all of that and then get on with things - that is on the assumption that the vaccine actually WORKS on a new strain - again I'd think waiting a week or two to find that out would be sensible, but again maybe that's me.

people die from "stress" than anything else, including covid-19. .
    Oh please, you cant be serious, that's not even worthy of a reply.....

I just remind myself to laugh out loud every time I hear an overly paranoid person freaking out over this bullshit. Laughing is good for the soul.
    Well if by overly paranoid you mean being aware of situations as they develop and try to alter my life around them so they affect me less then I guess I'm guilty of that - and as for laughing being good for the soul, do be sure to tell that the people who have lost their loved ones to covid, I'm sure that will be a great comfort to them.

7. 5 Users gave Like to post:

BenCH (November 27th, 2021), Blueskytoday (November 26th, 2021), francois (November 26th, 2021), mr giggles (November 27th, 2021), Ruthrieston (November 27th, 2021)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Nirish guy View Post
    Correct, but I a lot of scientists are flagging up "hey, heres a new thing and we need to look into it as it could be a bigger problem than before" and airlines and the stock market are already factoring that into their thinking and planning then as per my OP IF 'I" was about to press "book" on a long haul flight personally I think I'd think it appropriate to give it a week or so until a bit more information was forthcoming re that perhaps, but each to their own of course.

Totally agree there, do all of that and then get on with things - that is on the assumption that the vaccine actually WORKS on a new strain - again I'd think waiting a week or two to find that out would be sensible, but again maybe that's me.

Oh please, you cant be serious, that's not even worthy of a reply.....

Well if by overly paranoid you mean being aware of situations as they develop and try to alter my life around them so they affect me less then I guess I'm guilty of that - and as for laughing being good for the soul, do be sure to tell that the people who have lost their loved ones to covid, I'm sure that will be a great comfort to them.
    Emotional stress is a major contributing factor to the six leading causes of death: cancer, coronary heart disease, accidental injuries, respiratory disorders, cirrhosis of the liver and suicide. This may not be worthy of replying to - but worth thinking about.

This is serious, no doubt, but remaining positive, and yes, finding some humor along-the-road, can only be a benefit.

Liked

My position on this is very simple: Get myself fully vaccinated (done). Use common sense when it comes to social distancing, wearing face masks, etc., and, last-but-not-least, live my life the way I see fit.
    Dodger, by fully vaccinated, exactly what does that mean? Does that include a booster shot?

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    Dodger, by fully vaccinated, exactly what does that mean? Does that include a booster shot?
    more than 14 day after second shot and no more than xxx days after first shot... xxx depends on country, usually it is 183 days, but may be 365
    Bali (Indonesia), Cambodia, Myanmar, Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam and Laos: gay guides and companions http://siamroads.com

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post

People are considered "fully vaccinated" after the second jab, but, as far as Jai and I are concerned, "fully vaccinated" means we've also received the booster.

12. User who gave Like to post:

francois (November 29th, 2021)

No Platformed
    Liked

People are considered "fully vaccinated" after the second jab, but, as far as Jai and I are concerned, "fully vaccinated" means we've also received the booster.
    Who can forget those fabulous rants from Amazing Dodgems of just a few short months ago that the only vaccine he'd be allowing near himself would be from J&J?

Liked

Assuming you got something better than Sinovac, you're fully vaccinated after the second dose. A booster is only needed when immunity starts to fade 4-6 months after the second dose.

15. User who gave Like to post:

Moggy (November 29th, 2021)