Quick navigation:
List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: Early trip report: The taxi mafia is FINALLY dead (I hope)

Liked

Early trip report: The taxi mafia is FINALLY dead (I hope)

Hi guys, I'm back in Pattaya after an almost 3 year (COVID) absence. It is great to be back. I arrived 4 days ago. Here are some early impressions for those who haven't made it back yet:

1. Most prices have remained the same as I remember them, including massage and off prices; food prices have inched up but at quite a slow rate (especially when factoring the considerable devaluation of the baht which has occurred).

2. The taxi mafia is finally DEAD, thank heavens, and thanks to BOLT which does an amazing job of carting you anywhere around Pattaya and Jomtien for under 100 baht! Hooray! BOLT is totally liberating. We took the song-taew to Jomtien last night and sweat it out with a bunch of Russians (long live Ukraine!) on hard seats and without door-to-door service. After this ordeal, we both looked at each other and asked WHY did we do such a stupid thing when BOLT is so reasonable. Bottom line is now "taxi" fares in Pattaya are on par with those of Bangkok, or even cheaper. And the taxis don't seem to be fighting this any more because they can participate in BOLT. No more fist fights to be seen, as we used to see with Uber, then Grab. Grab is still here but their prices on the app appear to be somewhat higher than Bolt. (Grab is hq'd in Singapore. Bolt is hq'd in Estonia.)

3. We walked by Sunee last night which was dead as a doornail. May she RIP. And BT had a few flickering lights on but indeed a mere shadow of its former self. And the environs of BT were also changed. Our favorite (blue-colored) foot massage place on Second Road is gone.

4. We walked by Walking Street which we expected to find also knee-capped but were surprised to see a brighter, renovated street with quite a few tourists walking about.

2. 7 Users gave Like to post:

a447 (August 25th, 2022), aussie (August 26th, 2022), BenCH (August 26th, 2022), bkkmfj2648 (August 25th, 2022), christianpfc (August 29th, 2022), Patanawet (October 23rd, 2022), vnman (October 26th, 2022)

Liked

Re: Early trip report: The taxi mafia is FINALLY dead (I hope)

Quote Originally Posted by Marc K View Post
    Hi guys, I'm back in Pattaya after an almost 3 year (COVID) absence. It is great to be back. I arrived 4 days ago.
    Great update Marc.

Did you have any opportunities for fun? if so where?

Were you able to visit the Jomtien Complex ?

Thanks,
    M.

Liked

Hi M, No I haven't been to JC yet, perhaps tonight. I've been mostly using the apps. I find Planet Romeo still has quite a few nice guys on it. My advice is to make sure your Planet Romeo profile is updated and ready for the surge of interest you are likely to get once on the ground here.

Liked

I have major problems using planet Romeo since I've had so many profiles and Passwords over the years. Does bumblebee exist in Thailand?

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by davidmelba View Post
    Does bumblebee exist in Thailand?
    To tell you the truth I've never heard of bumblebee to be honest, my bad. Besides Romeo, Blued and Grindr seem to have some activity, but I have found PR best now. Perhaps others on this forum have other (better?) suggestions. Chok dee krab

Liked

Actually the correct name is bumble and I apologize for the bumblebee.. I hear there is a GPS locator and you can tell how close the person is to you when you are communicating.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by davidmelba View Post
    Actually the correct name is bumble and I apologize for the bumblebee.. I hear there is a GPS locator and you can tell how close the person is to you when you are communicating.
    I think all the major gay apps that I am aware of have some sort of a GPS location system. Now, do remember, that GPS location can be spoofed by those who want to avoid location detection. And some GPS routines are more accurate than others (mainly depending on what device they are using). But that said the technology itself should be accurate within a few hundred meters (if the user isn't playing spoofing games).

Liked

Hi guys, Just a quick followup. I've been in Pattaya/Jomtien for a week now... It is a strange aura of déjà vu! Things are apparently the same, but alas not the same. Yes, new condos everywhere. Yes, (eternal) street repairs everywhere. Yes, flooding when it rains. All the things we have come to associate with Pattaya. But something has changed. Somehow the public psyche has changed. Perhaps Thailand has "grown up" a bit. Perhaps it was the trauma of COVID which wracked the country. Perhaps it's fear of the future. The atmosphere has changed. The politicos keep talking about wanting "quality" tourists, and I keep wondering if that includes you, and me. Is there a new streak of conservatism that is bubbling up to the top (as alas is happening in quite a few countries). Something's brewing as Prayat Ocha "steps down" and the nourishing former King recedes ever more into history.

Liked

HI guys,
    Just a quick postscript to this thread as OP:
    I just completed 2 months in Jomtien. I can say the trip was wholly enjoyable and it amazes me just how quickly and substantially Thailand has snapped back after the pandemic. While most/many Thais are wearing masks, many/most farang are not. Bangkok Soi 4 was hopping when I visited. Jomtien Complex was also teeming with customers. Most massage places seem to be open once again (in both cities). Bangkok-Pattaya buses seem always full. The airport was lively and most enterprises (except those on the mezzanine) were well frequented.
    As I mentioned in the original post in this thread, the most amazing thing is that the Pattaya mafia is dead! May it not rest in peace! BOLT has completely changed the economics of getting around town. It made going to Terminal 21 or Soi Buakao or wherever a breeze. I don't think we waited more than 3 minutes on any occasion for a BOLT to show up at our doorstep. What an amazing improvement in mobility. Restaurants were well attended. We enjoyed Prime Burger in Soi Buakao, great burgers. And of course Yupin's in the complex is hard to beat for price and quality and gentility. The apps Planet Romeo and Blued were well stocked with willing guys, although I did notice the median age has creeped up into the mid-30's these days.

11. 4 Users gave Like to post:

arsenal (October 23rd, 2022), bkkmfj2648 (October 23rd, 2022), christianpfc (October 23rd, 2022), vnman (October 26th, 2022)