Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just when I thought....

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Just when I thought....

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver2 View Post

What has changed in the past few days? Have I missed something? Has the prognosis concerning Covid's spread changed?
    I'm really sorry to hear about the disruption to your plans.

I totally agree with gerefan2 and goji's read on this.

If the airlines see enough bookings coming through, they'll schedule their flights. If there aren't enough bookings for a particular destination, during a particular time period, they cancel the flights. It really is as simple as that.

There's no doubt that Thailand's primary objective is to be perceived as being one of the first SE Asian countries to reopen to tourism. I imagine they feel that creating this perception in the international tourist market gives them an edge. But on the other hand, they really don't want too many tourists actually coming here - at least at this juncture.

They control the flow by keeping the majority of bars and entertainment venues closed, alcohol bans, curfews, etc., and of course use the Delta Variant as an excuse for their decisions at every opportunity. Right now, I think it's fair to say that most tourists don't want to come to Thailand because of this. Results = THAILAND HAS REOPENED (perception created) = Mission accomplished.

All said, you, goji, gerefan2, and others, who have decided to brave the waters, know exactly what's going on here right now and should have a great time once you arrive. I don't imagine there're too many tourists out there who don't know what it's like in Thailand right now.

I would be doing exactly the same thing that you guys are doing if I was in your shoes. I said this a year ago, and I can say this again now washout hesitation. Having a place where the sun is shining...a beach for frolicking...and a boy to frolic with...is all that I would need. The alternative for me would be staring at the icicles hanging from the gutters of my apartment in Chicago playing with myself.

Good luck.

2. 5 Users gave Like to post:

daydreamer (November 14th, 2021), gerefan2 (November 13th, 2021), goji (November 13th, 2021), Oliver2 (November 13th, 2021), splinter1949 (November 14th, 2021)

Liked

Qatar is still flying a decent schedule. A month ago I got a good price on biz class to/rom the UK in March with just 2 hour stopovers. My fingers are crossed that they will actually fly, but I haven't heard much info about its cancelling flights.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Thank you for the replies.

I agree that the "delta" excuse is exactly that, an excuse. EVA's LHR-BKK flight continues to Taiwan. And that is where most of the passengers are heading. It is more likely that the cancellations are the result of issues within the Taiwan market, rather than much to do with Thailand. Or the UK.

Without wishing to be maudlin about what is, in reality, an inconvenience rather than a disaster, one or two posters may like to consider that some of us have not seen our partners for two years; any the separation would have been painful enough but now, the passing of time is such that I know that there are not many trips left for me.

Yes, I could go elsewhere and yes, the gay scene is unlikely to return to what it was two years ago, let alone twenty years ago. And we seldom go to gay bars anyway. But I want to be in Thailand with someone I love while I am able to enjoy it. Hence my irritation at the disruption to my plans yesterday, however minor that disruption turns out to be.

5. 6 Users gave Like to post:

daydreamer (November 14th, 2021), Dodger (November 13th, 2021), francois (November 13th, 2021), goji (November 13th, 2021), Lotusleaf (November 13th, 2021), Ruthrieston (November 14th, 2021)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver2 View Post
    Without wishing to be maudlin about what is, in reality, an inconvenience rather than a disaster, one or two posters may like to consider that some of us have not seen our partners for two years; any the separation would have been painful enough but now, the passing of time is such that I know that there are not many trips left for me.
    I agree totally.

Certain members are constantly whinging and making gloomy posts, telling others to stay away.
    Sometimes even making posts with small changes to the wording to make the thread title more gloomy than the reality.

Any potential visitor should ignore such nonsense. Just look at what is open currently and what is not open. Then calibrate expectations based on that and make a decision.

The moaners choose not to recognize that other visitors are often capable of assessing the situation themselves. (No idea why. Might be arrogance, cognitive dissonance or borderline trolling).

Regarding that decision.
    If you need all 9 Pattaya gogo bars to re-open, forget it. There's a good chance than none of them open in 2021.
    If your minimum for a holiday is nice weather, coffee, hotels, beaches, travel, restaurants and lots of boys on the phone apps, you're unlikely to be disappointed.

Additionally, not all of the reports of business closures in 2021 have been accurate. I've read posts where people insist certain categories of business were closed, yet on the same day, I've seen many of them open and may have recently used them myself. There's a difference between "supposed to be closed" and actually closed. However, the gay bars seemed to follow the rules & close when they should.

Ref: Airlines
    Some airlines seem more tolerant of low load factors than others. So book with the ones who are actually running flights, not those who schedule flights and cancel them.
    This photo shows my plane out of Bangkok earlier in 2021, AFTER they shut the doors. In the 6 rows behind me, there was a total of one other person.
    Attached Images Attached Images

7. 6 Users gave Like to post:

arsenal (November 13th, 2021), daydreamer (November 14th, 2021), francois (November 13th, 2021), gerefan2 (November 13th, 2021), Lotusleaf (November 13th, 2021), Oliver2 (November 13th, 2021)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Blacktouch View Post
    However, I am off to Colombia In February 2022..
    Just in case you didn't spot it there are a few great trip reports from Michaelx1992 currently sitting (for some reason I'm not quite sure about) in the holding room, definitely worth a read I would imagine before your trip.

9. User who gave Like to post:

goji (November 14th, 2021)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Blacktouch View Post
    However, I am off to Colombia In February 2022.

Visiting Bogota, Medellin and Cartagena (coastal City).
    Be careful out there. My oldest brother used to frequent Columbia for work, and he was assigned security guards who took care of him 24x7. He wasn't even allowed to leave the hotel room for a cigarette without security following him.

Granted, he did work for an oil company, but still... I guess the moral of the story is don't wear an ExxonMobil hat in Columbia, haha.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt View Post
    Be careful out there... I guess the moral of the story is don't wear an ExxonMobil hat in Columbia, haha.
    Better still, just wear a French cap! Hahaha..