Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just when I thought....

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Just when I thought....

Yesterday, light at the end of the tunnel. Visits to Thailand back on track, even if a few hurdles remain.

Today, EVA Air have informed me that all of their flights to Bangkok have been cancelled up to the middle of March, allegedly due to concern over the "delta" variant.

We've known about the delta variant for months; it seems odd to have been taking bookings up to Wednesday and then making a decision today. What has changed in the past few days? Have I missed something? Has the prognosis concerning Covid's spread changed?

OK, it's not a disaster; I've re-booked for a few weeks later and my hotel and quarantine hotel too, of course. It is however both demoralising and a damn nuisance.

Any other unexpected flight cancellations by other operators?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Just when I thought....

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver2 View Post

it seems odd to have been taking bookings up to Wednesday and then making a decision today. What has changed in the past few days? Have I missed something?
    My bet is that it has nothing to do with any variations of Covid.

About now most people will have booked their Xmas and New Year holidays. Eva would have looked at the figures and probably decided it was uneconomical to operate these flights.

Looking at recent figures published for flights and passenger arrivals at Savanabhumi it seems load factors are very low indeed.

Thai procrastination, plus their horrendous bureaucracy, has probably put many off going to Thailand.

They are going to learn to regret it.

3. 2 Users gave Like to post:

Dodger (November 13th, 2021), Oliver2 (November 13th, 2021)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver2 View Post
    Today, EVA Air have informed me that all of their flights to Bangkok have been cancelled up to the middle of March, allegedly due to concern over the "delta" variant.

Any other unexpected flight cancellations by other operators?
    The Delta explanation is bollocks, since that's been around for a very long time now. EVA just miscalculated demand. You're very generous to re-schedule your holiday to follow the airline, rather than change the airline to suit the schedule.
    In normal times, EVA is my preferred airline, but they do need to operate flights to get my custom.

In 2020 and 2021, before booking flights, I look at scheduled flight frequency AND then monitor one of the tracking sites, such as FlightRadar24, to make sure the flight I intend to book has a track record of operating.
    In the last 7 days, the flight I plan to take has landed 7 times, so 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by gerefan2 View Post
    They are going to learn to regret it.
    Those who are reliant on tourism probably regret it already, however the Junta don't seem to care at all about the tourism sector.

5. 2 Users gave Like to post:

Dodger (November 13th, 2021), Oliver2 (November 13th, 2021)

Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked

One must question the judgement of those that thought nothing but the need to return to a country that has done little in the way of clarity……..Running to return to what when the current state of things are still up in the air!!!
    "In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Manforallseasons View Post
    One must question the judgement of those that thought nothing but the need to return to a country that has done little in the way of clarity……..Running to return to what when the current state of things are still up in the air!!!
    One must also question the judgement of those constantly criticizing what Thailand has to offer & warning others to stay away, whilst simultaneously living there themselves.

As for those intending to travel to Thailand, their judgement is only really questionable if their expectations are way out of line with what's likely to happen.
    e.g.
    Expecting to see all the gogo bars in Pattaya open on 1 Dec, is way too optimistic.
    However, assuming that whatever is currently open may still be open next month is unlikely to be an error of judgement.

Also, there's one other area where judgement is likely to prove correct. I probably won't be around in 50 years time. So whilst I'm here, I want to take a few holidays.

8. 5 Users gave Like to post:

Brad the Impala (November 13th, 2021), Dodger (November 13th, 2021), gerefan2 (November 13th, 2021), Lotusleaf (November 13th, 2021), Patanawet (November 13th, 2021)

Forum's veteran Brad the Impala's Avatar
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by goji View Post
    The Delta explanation is bollocks, since that's been around for a very long time now. EVA just miscalculated demand. You're very generous to re-schedule your holiday to follow the airline, rather than change the airline to suit the schedule.
    I give EVA some slack on this. In April 2020 we were due to fly to Thailand on EVA. Everything shut down of course. EVA reimbursed the flight costs, promptly and without quibble.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by goji View Post
    One must also question the judgement of those constantly criticizing what Thailand has to offer & warning others to stay away, whilst simultaneously living there themselves.

As for those intending to travel to Thailand, their judgement is only really questionable if their expectations are way out of line with what's likely to happen.
    Expecting to see all the gogo bars in Pattaya open on 1 Dec, is way too optimistic. .
    Frankly, I am a realist and have for the most part grown accustomed to the way things are and have noted and excepted the many changes that have occurred over the years. I enjoy a simple life here, I linger under no false illusions however, if I were simply a tourist coming at this point in time is a huge folly and reels either of wishful thinking, bad judgement or sheer stupidity.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Brad the Impala View Post
    I give EVA some slack on this. In April 2020 we were due to fly to Thailand on EVA. Everything shut down of course. EVA reimbursed the flight costs, promptly and without quibble.
    I like EVA a lot. I also remember when India & Pakistan were skirmishing, so using their airspace was not a good idea.
    Thai cancelled flights. EVA just carried on running, with a detour around the bottom.

However, to get my business this year, EVA still need to offer a suitable flight schedule.

12. User who gave Like to post:

Dodger (November 13th, 2021)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Manforallseasons View Post
    Frankly, I am a realist and have for the most part grown accustomed to the way things are and have noted and excepted the many changes that have occurred over the years. I enjoy a simple life here, I linger under no false illusions however, if I were simply a tourist coming at this point in time is a huge folly and reels either of wishful thinking, bad judgement or sheer stupidity.
    Thank you Manforallseasons for your honest opinion on those not living in Pattaya, to not waste our time going there while the bars and other entertainment venues are closed.

I for one will not be visiting Thailand for a very long time, until everything is back to normal.

However, I am off to Colombia In February 2022.

Visiting Bogota, Medellin and Cartagena (coastal City).

14. User who gave Like to post:

mr giggles (November 13th, 2021)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Blacktouch View Post
    Thank you Manforallseasons for your honest opinion on those not living in Pattaya, to not waste our time going there while the bars and other entertainment venues are closed.

I for one will not be visiting Thailand for a very long time, until everything is back to normal.

However, I am off to Colombia In February 2022.

Visiting Bogota, Medellin and Cartagena (coastal City).
    2 friends of mine recently went to Medellin and had a fabulous time, you only need to show that you had 2 doses of a vaccine and you get a 90 day visa on arrival, I think you will have a great time and I hope you post some info about your experience.