Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Telephone Pub rebrands as CIRCUS

Liked

Re: Telephone Pub rebrands as CIRCUS

Quote Originally Posted by Manforallseasons View Post
    I certainly wish the rebranded bar luck however, I think the value of the brand “Telephone Bar” can’t be underestimated as likely anyone looking at the gay boards has either been to or has heard of “Telephone Bar”.
    I agree. The new owners can obviously name the venue as they think fit. But changing a brand that has not just become firmly established but totally entrenched in the international gay community can be a dangerous route to take. Telephone has been around since 1987. It's an institution. Many friends who have visited Bangkok had said Telephone was the first bar they wished to visit. Indeed for most it was the only name they knew! I can't recall the number of visits I have made since 1987. For the first few years, the telephone gimmick really worked and was popular. Then the name began to stick.

Telephone and Balcony were the two best brands in the soi. With Telephone gone, my fear will be that Balcony will become the place to go (only because I always thought Telephone was better as a bar/restaurant). We will all have our own ideas about Circus as a name. But brand names generally reflect the product. Telephone ws an apt description right from the start. I'm not sure what image Circus conveys. As one poster has pointed out, Piccadilly Circus and rent boys is one. Performances in large tents with rings, sawdust, animals and trapeze artists is another.

Yet another is Monty Python's Fying Circus which for a gay bar is perhaps unfortunate. Too many dead parrots around!!

One of the most popular little long running gay bars in Singapore is called Backstage. The walls are highlighted with posters from lots of musicals and plays. With musicals being particularly popular with gay guys, the association works extremely well - as well as having a title that could be regarded as a bit of a gay pun.

I just keep wondering how Circus can become identified by the gay community internationally. For it will be international tourists as well as locals wo are the likely patrons. I suppose the reason the name Telephone can not be used is that the previous owner has some form of copyright on it and wants an arm and a leg to sell it. That to me is a major disappointment. I will keep further comment to myself.

2. User who gave Like to post:

Dodger (November 18th, 2021)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Armando View Post
    I agree. The new owners can obviously name the venue as they think fit. But changing a brand that has not just become firmly established but totally entrenched in the international gay community can be a dangerous route to take.
    Agree.

I assume there's a reason why they had to do this.

I was delighted to hear that Panorama (previously Copa Banana) in Boyztown would retain its name when purchased by Copa. Another flagship establishment, which was much more than a name. Memories of sitting under its rainbow-colored sign will remain etched in peoples memories for eternity. Can you just imagine someone coming along and changing it's name to "Carnival" or something...Big Mistake!

Another gay business that refused to change its name was Two Guys Guesthouse (TG's) in the Sunee area Two Guys was just a small bed and breakfast with a handful of rooms which catered exclusively to gay visitors. First owned by the infamous Mad Man Monty of Australia, who named the place Two Guys to represent Him and his Thai boyfriend at the time. A decade later he sold the place to a chap named Stewart who told the regulars that he would never change the name...and then another decade later to John from Scotland who continued carrying the Two Guys torch.

I guess the motto is, if it's not broken - don't fix it.
    Last edited by a447; November 18th, 2021 at 13:41. Reason: Fixed quotation marks

4. User who gave Like to post:

Oliver2 (November 18th, 2021)

Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked

If U read through the original post it is noted that as part of the sale of Telephone Bar the seller kept the right to use the name Telephone which makes one think perhaps he will use that name for a new bar.
    "In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

Liked

Telephone Pub Co. Ltd had no lease on the building. The lease was held by another holding company. As such the legal process for winding up Telephone Pub co. ltd. could take years. No point waiting for that outcome. Holding company simply provided a new sub lease to Pride. Pride in exchange for paying the debits of the Holding company took major shareholder status in the holding company.

As such legally the name "Telephone Pub" is not available. The only way to save the venue and reopen this location was with a rebrand.

7. 8 Users gave Like to post:

daydreamer (November 23rd, 2021), Dodger (November 23rd, 2021), goji (November 22nd, 2021), Josan (November 22nd, 2021), Patanawet (November 22nd, 2021), Ruthrieston (November 23rd, 2021), splinter1949 (November 26th, 2021), stev3 (November 22nd, 2021)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

could have just called it phone bar...same same but different

9. User who gave Like to post:

Dodger (November 23rd, 2021)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by latintopxxx View Post
    could have just called it phone bar...same same but different
    Get with the times - it's for the gays so at the very least it would have to be "i"phone bar ! :-) Or if aiming it at younger thai boys I guess it would have ben been (I need a) NEW phone Bar ! :-) Actually perhaps there's a new business angle, older faring brought along to the bar by their young Thai friends so they can get them their new phones to save a trip to Tuk Com ! lol

11. User who gave Like to post:

goji (November 23rd, 2021)

Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Nirish guy View Post
    Get with the times - it's for the gays so at the very least it would have to be "i"phone bar ! :-) Or if aiming it at younger thai boys I guess it would have ben been (I need a) NEW phone Bar ! :-) Actually perhaps there's a new business angle, older faring brought along to the bar by their young Thai friends so they can get them their new phones to save a trip to Tuk Com ! lol
    New Phone Bar…..Yes!
    "In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Manforallseasons View Post
    New Phone Bar…..Yes!
    "Easy money"
    "Walking ATM meeting point"
    Bali (Indonesia), Cambodia, Myanmar, Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam and Laos: gay guides and companions http://siamroads.com

14. User who gave Like to post:

Ruthrieston (November 26th, 2021)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Nirish guy View Post
    Get with the times - it's for the gays so at the very least it would have to be "i"phone bar ! :-)...
    There was indeed a short-lived gay disco named iPhone Pub.

Liked

The current issue of the Midnite Hour(link) covers the appearance of Circus on Soi 4 and the disappearance of the Telephone. While the disappearance of the Telephone is historically unfortunate, if the pictures are anything to judge by, Cameron is to be congratulated for a job well done with the new venue. Circus is covered somewhere near the top, as well as lower down, in their round-up of Soi 4 for November.

Midnite Hour Dec1 2021 CIRCUS-min.jpg
    Pic via the Midnite Hour

In their round-up of Patpong 2, we see the disappearance of the street-level Midnight bar beer that was owned by Hotmale and its rebranding as Hot Male Beer Bar. In this case the reappearance of an old name isn't particularly exciting. I thought that Midnight was a great name for a bar beer and the lighting was definitely atmospheric. The reincarnated Hot Male Beer Bar, on the other hand, looks like the bland old Hot Male Beer Garden at the back of Soi Twilight: Too much pale wood and too little neon.

This month's round-up also shows how quickly the Bangkok nightlife areas are now bouncing back across the city. Better times ahead, one hopes. Also to be found in this month's issue is a useful summary of the procedure for getting back into Thailand at the moment. That is to be found in the pink box near the top.
    Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and then beat you with experience.

17. User who gave Like to post:

dab69 (January 10th, 2022)