List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Expat Income Requirements Changing?

Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked

Re: Expat Income Requirements Changing?

I am very thankful I have an O long stay visa, however, I suspect at sometime the O visa will be subject to the same inherent problems that come with the O-A visa.
    "In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Manforallseasons View Post
    I suspect at sometime the O visa will be subject to the same inherent problems that come with the O-A visa.
    Maybe. I'll do my worrying if it ever happens and if any changes include something difficult to comply with. In the meantime there is no indication I have been able to find that they intend to change anything about it.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Gaybutton View Post

If you already hold an O-A, I would look into whatever is necessary to do to get it switched over to an O visa, even if it requires a Thai attorney or a visa agent to help get it done. And, as my dad used to say. "Do it now. RIGHT now!"

The way things are happening in Thailand, if you are going to retire in Thailand, you definitely want your retirement visa to be the O visa, not the O-A. And the only way to get the O visa is to get it within Thailand.

Other than that, I see no reason to be worried about any upcoming changes.
    You're recommending to people holding O-A Visas to switch over to an O visa, even if it requires an attorney or agent, because, in your opinion, the O-A Visa is definitely not the way to go. If that's what you feel comfortable recommending to our readers, than by-all-means, continue on.

I'm fully aware of the fact that the "O" Visa requirements outlined on the foreign consulate sites pertain to those applying for this Visa in their home countries. The language has changed very recently which, in my opinion, could be part of a restructuring going on with the Thai Visa Program. There are other indications that this is going on as well. Not knowing what the end result will be, would tell me that it wasn't a good time for anyone to jump-the-gun and be making any changes until the dust is settled. And that's the only piece of advice I would have for our readers.

With all due respect, if anyone ran out and switched their Visa's from "O-A" to "O" and then found out that Type O was no longer used for retirement purposes, they could have a real mess on their hands... understanding that the O and O-A are inherently the same, and the O Visa was never really intended for this purpose from the beginning - and Immigration knows it. Only time will tell...but it's certainly not the time to be running out in a panic mode to make visa changes.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
    You're recommending to people holding O-A Visas to switch over to an O visa
    I don't know what you're talking about. If there is a way - within Thailand - to change from O-A to O and avoid all these O-A visa hassles, I don't understand why you find fault with that. What am I missing?

Meanwhile, I think the question is academic. I've had some farang friends try to do it, but to make a long story short they essentially were told once you have the O-A, you always have the O-A.

In my opinion the best thing to do is get the retirement visa within Thailand. That way you'll have the O visa and problem solved.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Manforallseasons View Post
    I am very thankful I have an O long stay visa
    the Non O visa is, and always has been, a short-stay visa - the permission to stay on arrival is 90 days

the Non O-A visa is, and always has been, a long-stay visa - the permission to stay on arrival is 12 months

don't be confused by the fact that you can do a 12 month extension of a permission to stay for retirement based on a current permission to stay from either visa - though the requirements are different

both the Foreign Ministry (embassies and consulates) and the Interior Ministry (Immigration Police) seem comfortable with this distinction at present - though the speculation is that this may change at some stage, and this is certainly possible

I'm fully aware of the fact that the "O" Visa requirements outlined on the foreign consulate sites pertain to those applying for this Visa in their home countries. The language has changed very recently which, in my opinion, could be part of a restructuring going on with the Thai Visa Program. .
    I don't know about new - I have been told twice in the last 20 years by the consulate in Sydney that it is not their policy to issue a NON O visa for people wishing to retire in Thailand - this in their opinion is a policy of the Immigration Police in Thailand only - instead they suggest either applying for a Non O-A visa in Sydney, or enter Thailand on a Tourist visa and apply for a NON O visa in Thailand. the Honorary Consulate in Perth seemed to disagree with this, I am not sure about the embassy in Canberra!

Obviously different consulates and embassies have had their own interpretation of this at different times, as have different Immigration Police offices in Thailand, and there may well be a policy change happening now or in the future from the Foreign Ministry or the Interior Ministry but it all seems to be a bit unknown at this time, particularly in relation to NON O visas and extensions of permission to stay

and GB, despite your constant protestations, not everyone is in the same situation as you are, and even with the current insurance requirements for entry and extension of permission to stay with a NON O-A visa there are still a number of scenarios where a Non O-A visa may be a better choice - perhaps not for you but for other people, and they need to consider their requirements and read and understand the significant differences between the two visa classes and the differences between getting extensions on permission to stay based on these visa classes, if they actually even need to do this.
    I can’t even be bothered to be apathetic these days!

6. 2 Users gave Like to post:

Dodger (November 12th, 2021), Smiles (November 11th, 2021)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by bkkguy View Post
    ....they need to consider their requirements and read and understand the significant differences between the two visa classes and the differences between getting extensions on permission to stay based on these visa classes, if they actually even need to do this.
    It would be very nice if someone would do a nice logical Excel table summarizing the difference between all the different Thai visa categories.
    • Ideally the authorities would do this, but it seems logical thinking is not important there.
    • It's probably too much to expect visa agencies to do that, as they make a living from the confusion.
    • If any of the expert expats fancy stepping up to the plate, it would be much appreciated.

Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked

GB, despite your constant protestations, not everyone is in the same situation as you are, and even with the current insurance requirements for entry and extension of permission to stay with a NON O-A visa there are still a number of scenarios where a Non O-A visa may be a better choice - perhaps not for you but for other people, and they need to consider their requirements and read and understand the significant differences between the two visa classes and the differences between getting extensions on permission to stay based on these visa classes, if they actually even need to do this.
    Lucky you (:
    "In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

9. User who gave Like to post:

francois (November 12th, 2021)

Liked

and GB, despite your constant protestations, not everyone is in the same situation as you are, and even with the current insurance requirements for entry and extension of permission to stay with a NON O-A visa there are still a number of scenarios where a Non O-A visa may be a better choice
    Then I'll repeat my question: What am I missing? Give me an example of a scenario in which the O-A is a better choice than the O.

Liked

Every time this topic comes up I find myself either laughing, choking, groaning, gagging, or just getting dizzy and falling into a catatonic trance.. Not sure why this happens. Just a natural reflex I guess.

If my monthly retirement income wasn't enough to qualify for a retirement visa in Thailand, I wouldn't have retired here. Having 800,000 THB frozen in a Thai bank account is something I would never even consider. The Elite Plan is a sham. It would be a cold day in hell before I walked into Immigration and handed anyone 600,000 THB for anything.
    So assuming you did not have social security at a certain level or a pension because you had worked for various companies without pensions - true of many who work in Asia - where would you have retired to? You forget that not every one is as fortunate as you. Some others have to find different ways, either through the 800,000 route or Thailand Elite. Is there another route for those who have no pension? As for those who dismiss Thailand Elite, I know several who are members and not one thinks it is anything but a great move for them in their financial circumstances. Which is the better alternative? 800K locked in a bank account for life or until you leave (I believe) or 1 million for 20 years visa?

And remember that if the government can change the Thailand Elite programme, it is in my view more likely to change the retirement visa requirements first. Thailand Elite seems to be aimed primarily at those the government actually want to live here. Does it want everyone paying 65K per month when that amount has remained static for a great many years. Surely it is bound to go up sooner rather than later. And of so, by how much? Remember too that the 800,000 route was changed only a couple of years ago to make that route more difficult for many people. For how much longer will that 65K remain at that level?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

the Non O visa is, and always has been, a short-stay visa - the permission to stay on arrival is 90 days

the Non O-A visa is, and always has been, a long-stay visa - the permission to stay on arrival is 12 months

don't be confused by the fact that you can do a 12 month extension of a permission to stay for retirement based on a current permission to stay from either visa - though the requirements are different

both the Foreign Ministry (embassies and consulates) and the Interior Ministry (Immigration Police) seem comfortable with this distinction at present - though the speculation is that this may change at some stage, and this is certainly possible

I don't know about new - I have been told twice in the last 20 years by the consulate in Sydney that it is not their policy to issue a NON O visa for people wishing to retire in Thailand - this in their opinion is a policy of the Immigration Police in Thailand only - instead they suggest either applying for a Non O-A visa in Sydney, or enter Thailand on a Tourist visa and apply for a NON O visa in Thailand. the Honorary Consulate in Perth seemed to disagree with this, I am not sure about the embassy in Canberra!

Obviously different consulates and embassies have had their own interpretation of this at different times, as have different Immigration Police offices in Thailand, and there may well be a policy change happening now or in the future from the Foreign Ministry or the Interior Ministry but it all seems to be a bit unknown at this time, particularly in relation to NON O visas and extensions of permission to stay

and GB, despite your constant protestations, not everyone is in the same situation as you are, and even with the current insurance requirements for entry and extension of permission to stay with a NON O-A visa there are still a number of scenarios where a Non O-A visa may be a better choice - perhaps not for you but for other people, and they need to consider their requirements and read and understand the significant differences between the two visa classes and the differences between getting extensions on permission to stay based on these visa classes, if they actually even need to do this.
    Well stated, and I couldn't agree more.