List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Expat Income Requirements Changing?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Expat Income Requirements Changing?

Quote Originally Posted by Manforallseasons View Post

This is there original site the video references the new updatesd site.
    OK...here's the so-called "updated site": https://thaiconsulatela.org/en/non.o/

You'll notice that the Updated Site (LA Only) being discussed in the video also says the following:

"TYPE "O" VISA HOLDERS ARE PERMITTED TO STAY IN THAILAND FOR 90 DAYS"
    "TYPE "O-A" VISA HOLDERS ARE PERMITTED TO STAY IN THAILAND FOR 1 YEAR"

Choke on that one...if you're into get fear-mongered.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
    Law firms like this have a track-record of fear mongering when it serves their best interest, and personally, I won't pay any heed to this piece of flimsy speculation at all.
    And it wouldn't be this guy's first time. It is exactly what you call it - fear mongering.

If anyone out there wants to get themselves nervous or frightened by this, be my guest.

Meanwhile, this was also posted on my board. I deleted it. I'll scare people when there's a good, valid, confirmed reason to scare them. This isn't it. There has been more than enough of that over the past few years.

The easiest way to avoid O-A visa problems is not to get an O-A visa. Come to Thailand. Get your retirement visa here. Now you'll have the O visa. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

3. User who gave Like to post:

Dodger (November 9th, 2021)

Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Gaybutton View Post
    And it wouldn't be this guy's first time. It is exactly what you call it - fear mongering.

If anyone out there wants to get themselves nervous or frightened by this, be my guest.

Meanwhile, this was also posted on my board. I deleted it. I'll scare people when there's a good, valid, confirmed reason to scare them. This isn't it. There has been more than enough of that over the past few years.

The easiest way to avoid O-A visa problems is not to get an O-A visa. Come to Thailand. Get your retirement visa here. Now you'll have the O visa. Seems like a no-brainer to me.
    ….
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by 2lz2p View Post
    Will such change come about -- IMO it is possible. The current requirement for 800,000 baht has been in place for more than 20 years. Needless to say, costs in Thailand have increased over those years. But, if it does come about, it most likely will only impact those obtaining visas or doing first extensions after rules are officially changed (which, as yet have not happened).
    I thought I had read somewhere a few months ago that the government had set up yet another committee to review the entire issue of retirement visas. As @2lz2p points out, the present system and income amounts have basically been in place for decades. Various Immigration chiefs have tinkered with it but I do think a complete revision should take place to make retirement more simple and with just oe or two options.

Every time this topic comes up, I get the feeling there are those in government who want to encourage retirees to change over to the Thai Elite scheme. Presently this provides several options, the most popular probably being a 5 year stay for 600,000 Baht with the option to extend by a further 15 years for an additional 400,000 Baht. The scheme offers additional benefits but few are likely to be of much interest to most retirees. The problem of course is that these are non returnable fees. On the other hand, the 800,000/400,000 baht in an account route for virtually for each year cannot be touched unless you leave the country or die - as far as i understand it.

I know several retirees without pensions or social security who have joined the Elite scheme and are very happy with it. But then they know they plan to remain in the Kingdom for the rest of their lives - or are rich!

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Armando View Post

I know several retirees without pensions or social security who have joined the Elite scheme and are very happy with it. But then they know they plan to remain in the Kingdom for the rest of their lives - or are rich!
    Every time this topic comes up I find myself either laughing, choking, groaning, gagging, or just getting dizzy and falling into a catatonic trance.. Not sure why this happens. Just a natural reflex I guess.

If my monthly retirement income wasn't enough to qualify for a retirement visa in Thailand, I wouldn't have retired here. Having 800,000 THB frozen in a Thai bank account is something I would never even consider. The Elite Plan is a sham. It would be a cold day in hell before I walked into Immigration and handed anyone 600,000 THB for anything.

This is Thailand. And the way I look at it, they (Immigration) will do everything in their power to get as much money from you as they can, and will use their legal discretion (legal loop holes) to do exactly that. The only way to beat them at this game is to not play the game. And the only way to not play the game is to comply with the requirements. No huge sums of money frozen in their banks. No small fortunes slid into their pockets. And no visa agents - who serve as nothing more than the conduit for the flow of funny-money into the same pockets. You either have the income necessary to live here - or you don't.

If they were to ever raise the monthly income levels in excess of what I'm bringing in without having a "grandfather" clause,, I'd move to another country.

I fully understand that some people have plenty of money in the bank, but don't have a monthly retirement income that meets the minimum requirements. For them, I guess the 800,000 THB method is something to consider, BUT, only if they're financially secure enough to be able to freeze this amount of money in their bank without incurring any financial hardships. The problems come into play (happens often) when people are not financially secure enough to do this on a continual basis and start having financial problems. To be honest, if I was in their shoes, I would not have selected Thailand as my place for retirement.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
    Every time this topic comes up I find myself either laughing, choking, groaning, gagging, or just getting dizzy and falling into a catatonic trance.. Not sure why this happens. Just a natural reflex I guess.

If my monthly retirement income wasn't enough to qualify for a retirement visa in Thailand, I wouldn't have retired here. Having 800,000 THB frozen in a Thai bank account is something I would never even consider. The Elite Plan is a sham. It would be a cold day in hell before I walked into Immigration and handed anyone 600,000 THB for anything.
    So assuming you did not have social security at a certain level or a pension because you had worked for various companies without pensions - true of many who work in Asia - where would you have retired to? You forget that not every one is as fortunate as you. Some others have to find different ways, either through the 800,000 route or Thailand Elite. Is there another route for those who have no pension? As for those who dismiss Thailand Elite, I know several who are members and not one thinks it is anything but a great move for them in their financial circumstances. Which is the better alternative? 800K locked in a bank account for life or until you leave (I believe) or 1 million for 20 years visa?

And remember that if the government can change the Thailand Elite programme, it is in my view more likely to change the retirement visa requirements first. Thailand Elite seems to be aimed primarily at those the government actually want to live here. Does it want everyone paying 65K per month when that amount has remained static for a great many years. Surely it is bound to go up sooner rather than later. And of so, by how much? Remember too that the 800,000 route was changed only a couple of years ago to make that route more difficult for many people. For how much longer will that 65K remain at that level?

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by bkkguy View Post
    and GB, despite your constant protestations, not everyone is in the same situation as you are
    Thank you for pointing that out. Until your post I thought everyone was in the exact same situation I'm in.

I'm waiting for you to tell me all about how there are still a number of scenarios where a Non O-A visa may be a better choice than getting the O visa within Thailand and provide some examples.

Quote Originally Posted by Armando View Post
    the 800,000 route was changed only a couple of years ago to make that route more difficult for many people. For how much longer will that 65K remain at that level?
    And I was in favor of the change. It was one of the few times I thought what they were doing made good sense. A significant number of people supposedly were cheating one way or another, which I bitterly resented since I was doing it honestly. The changes made it more difficult for people to cheat.

However, I definitely dislike being forced to keep 800.000 baht untouchable in a Thai bank account.

As for any upcoming changes, whether to the 800,000 baht rule or the 65,000 baht per month rule, I too think it will happen, but bear in mind all we have to go on is sheer speculation. There has been absolutely nothing from the Thai end to indicate changes are coming or even contemplated. No way to prepare for any changes because there is no way to have any idea what those changes might be or who they would affect - if they happen at all.

Liked

There is a saying “when someone tells you who they are believe them” the government wants wealthy tourists and expats, what part don’t you get?

Liked

Dodger, I am not concerned, when the time comes if I choose I still have more than 1.2 million on deposit but originally when the embassy’s stopped validating income and these discussions began even on Gaybutton many acknowledged these initial income requirements were likely to change over time so I am not surprised. I am fortunate that I sold my condo at a peak time and rent a nice condo now however, if the government continues to change requirements I am under no obligation to stay. I don’t wear rose colored glasses so I am not easily fear-mongered. What will be will be.

11. User who gave Like to post:

mr giggles (November 13th, 2021)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Manforallseasons View Post
    I am not easily fear-mongered.
    I know you're not, but many others start needlessly panicking at these kinds of things. I believe this guy spotted something online and jumped on it as a means of advertising himself.

Of course anything can happen. I recommend doing the worrying when something actually does happen.

The Los Angeles web site does say - for the O-A visa ( https://thaiconsulatela.org/en/non-o/ ):

Applicant must have a bank deposit of
    7.1 no less than 1,200,000 Baht or
    7.2 an income certificate (an original copy) with a monthly income (pension) of not less than 100,000 Baht, or
    7.3 a deposit account plus a monthly income (pension) totaling not less than 1,200,000 Baht.

Even if that is correct, let me know if any other Thai consulate or embassy anywhere in the world or whether immigration in Thailand is saying the same thing.

With all the problems involving the O-A visa, I don't know why these days anyone would want one in the first place, no matter what the income requirements are.