List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Expat Income Requirements Changing?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Expat Income Requirements Changing?

Quote Originally Posted by Manforallseasons View Post

This is there original site the video references the new updatesd site.
    OK...here's the so-called "updated site": https://thaiconsulatela.org/en/non.o/

You'll notice that the Updated Site (LA Only) being discussed in the video also says the following:

"TYPE "O" VISA HOLDERS ARE PERMITTED TO STAY IN THAILAND FOR 90 DAYS"
    "TYPE "O-A" VISA HOLDERS ARE PERMITTED TO STAY IN THAILAND FOR 1 YEAR"

Choke on that one...if you're into get fear-mongered.

Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked

Dodger, I am not concerned, when the time comes if I choose I still have more than 1.2 million on deposit but originally when the embassy’s stopped validating income and these discussions began even on Gaybutton many acknowledged these initial income requirements were likely to change over time so I am not surprised. I am fortunate that I sold my condo at a peak time and rent a nice condo now however, if the government continues to change requirements I am under no obligation to stay. I don’t wear rose colored glasses so I am not easily fear-mongered. What will be will be.
    "In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

3. User who gave Like to post:

mr giggles (November 13th, 2021)

Liked

I am not easily fear-mongered.
    I know you're not, but many others start needlessly panicking at these kinds of things. I believe this guy spotted something online and jumped on it as a means of advertising himself.

Of course anything can happen. I recommend doing the worrying when something actually does happen.

The Los Angeles web site does say - for the O-A visa ( https://thaiconsulatela.org/en/non-o/ ):

Applicant must have a bank deposit of
    7.1 no less than 1,200,000 Baht or
    7.2 an income certificate (an original copy) with a monthly income (pension) of not less than 100,000 Baht, or
    7.3 a deposit account plus a monthly income (pension) totaling not less than 1,200,000 Baht.

Even if that is correct, let me know if any other Thai consulate or embassy anywhere in the world or whether immigration in Thailand is saying the same thing.

With all the problems involving the O-A visa, I don't know why these days anyone would want one in the first place, no matter what the income requirements are.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Dodger, I am not concerned, when the time comes if I choose I still have more than 1.2 million on deposit but originally when the embassy’s stopped validating income and these discussions began even on Gaybutton many acknowledged these initial income requirements were likely to change over time so I am not surprised. I am fortunate that I sold my condo at a peak time and rent a nice condo now however, if the government continues to change requirements I am under no obligation to stay. I don’t wear rose colored glasses so I am not easily fear-mongereThe dick head in the video already knows that.
    d. What will be will be.
    Don't let that clown in the video bother you.

He's actually got better over the years. He used to forget what he was talking about right in the middle of a sentence, and just stand there gazing into space like he just crapped in his pants. Just too funny!

One of his Thai lawyers probably got linked into the LA consulates new (draft) website...read this updated version before the ink's even dry... and ran into the clowns office all excited - like a rookie detective cracking his first case. Then Clown gets his video recorder out and starts babbling like a 9 year old trying to sound like he actually knows what's going on. He was actually a running joke with the gang at Corner Bar.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Gaybutton View Post

With all the problems involving the O-A visa, I don't know why these days anyone would want one in the first place, no matter what the income requirements are.
    You may want to apply some caution when making these types of public statements about the O-A Visa.

I'm not disagreeing with you, and I don't want to debate this with you, but there are more-then-likely going to be some Retirement Visa changes coming our way - and nobody knows exactly what those changes are. (see post #11 comments)

Liked

1 I wouldn't worry too much about speculation based on unreliable sources. Even if some people love that.

2 On the other hand, there are a wide range of things that could happen over (say) a 1 to 30 year time horizon.
    (i) Any expat living anywhere on the planet could be forced to leave. Over the last 50 years, we read of everything from recent massive increases in income requirement for expats in Malaysia, to countries expelling foreigners. The latter is perhaps lower probability.
    (ii) Exchange rates can move all over the damn place. Not just a couple of % here and there, but by 100% or more.
    (iii) Geopolitical events.

Ideally one would have more passports than Jason Bourne and many millions of $ distributed over about 5 continents. However, most have more modest resources and need a less ambitious plan B.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Aside from the accuracy of the advice or otherwise my personal view in life is never to trust anyone who feels the needs to have multiple certificates and awards dotted all over their office as from experience they're usually so up their own ass I wouldn't want to deal with them OR they must be exceptionally good at what they do and so will probably charge twice what the guy down the street charges who can probably do the same job quite adequately for my needs anyway most times !

9. 2 Users gave Like to post:

Dodger (November 9th, 2021), goji (November 9th, 2021)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Nirish guy View Post
    Aside from the accuracy of the advice or otherwise my personal view in life is never to trust anyone who feels the needs to have multiple certificates and awards dotted all over their office as from experience they're usually so up their own ass I wouldn't want to deal with them OR they must be exceptionally good at what they do and so will probably charge twice what the guy down the street charges who can probably do the same job quite adequately for my needs anyway most times !
    This. Whenever I'm about to enter a new business relationship, if the other party starts bragging about their MBA the relationship usually ends before it begins.
    the relationship.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by goji View Post

2 On the other hand, there are a wide range of things that could happen over (say) a 1 to 30 year time horizon.
    Yes, we could all be dead for starters...LOL.
    Last edited by a447; November 9th, 2021 at 18:12. Reason: Fixed quotation

12. 2 Users gave Like to post:

gerefan2 (November 9th, 2021), Jellybean (November 9th, 2021)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
    there are more-then-likely going to be some Retirement Visa changes coming our way - and nobody knows exactly what those changes are.
    I agree. And when no new laws go into effect, immigration can be very good about just making up their own rules. Nothing new about that. My point is I think it is pointless to worry about what might change until something does change.

I don't think anyone is going to argue that so far Thailand has made their rules much more difficult for O-A visa holders than they have for O visa holders.