Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
Every time this topic comes up I find myself either laughing, choking, groaning, gagging, or just getting dizzy and falling into a catatonic trance.. Not sure why this happens. Just a natural reflex I guess.

If my monthly retirement income wasn't enough to qualify for a retirement visa in Thailand, I wouldn't have retired here. Having 800,000 THB frozen in a Thai bank account is something I would never even consider. The Elite Plan is a sham. It would be a cold day in hell before I walked into Immigration and handed anyone 600,000 THB for anything.
So assuming you did not have social security at a certain level or a pension because you had worked for various companies without pensions - true of many who work in Asia - where would you have retired to? You forget that not every one is as fortunate as you. Some others have to find different ways, either through the 800,000 route or Thailand Elite. Is there another route for those who have no pension? As for those who dismiss Thailand Elite, I know several who are members and not one thinks it is anything but a great move for them in their financial circumstances. Which is the better alternative? 800K locked in a bank account for life or until you leave (I believe) or 1 million for 20 years visa?

And remember that if the government can change the Thailand Elite programme, it is in my view more likely to change the retirement visa requirements first. Thailand Elite seems to be aimed primarily at those the government actually want to live here. Does it want everyone paying 65K per month when that amount has remained static for a great many years. Surely it is bound to go up sooner rather than later. And of so, by how much? Remember too that the 800,000 route was changed only a couple of years ago to make that route more difficult for many people. For how much longer will that 65K remain at that level?