Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chonburi Immigration Closed Nov 5 - 10

Liked

Re: Chonburi Immigration Closed Nov 5 - 10

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
    Would you suggest they do this test during, or after the apparent outbreak Pattaya is faced with right now?
    I wouldn't suggest either. I don't see how that has anything to do with it. What does having a drink in a restaurant have to do with the spread of Covid? Do you know of any restaurants - alcohol or not - where Covid was traced to? I don't.

Should we close down all the restaurants again to help prevent the spread of disease? If not and the restaurants can be open to serve food, what's the problem about serving liquor too?

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Gaybutton View Post
    Do you know of any restaurants - alcohol or not - where Covid was traced to? I don't.
    From what I see, other than a few well publicized cases like the fish markets, Thailand has tended not to publish details of tracing of covid infections. So we can't use that to decide what's high risk or not.

What I do know is there is at least one report from the US where they identified restaurants as a common place for covid transmission.

Also, common sense should tell us that restaurants are much higher risk than other shops, as people have to take their masks off to eat.

However, I do agree that allowing alcohol consumption should not make much difference, other than perhaps encouraging people to remain in the restaurant for longer.
    I don't really agree with the repressive anti-alcohol attitude that the Thai government seems to have, but I still choose to visit the country. It's not yet like Iran.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by goji View Post
    From what I see, other than a few well publicized cases like the fish markets, Thailand has tended not to publish details of tracing of covid infections.
    That is not accurate. Many publications, such as the Pattaya News, would consistently publish reports of where and when Covid cases turned up, including just yesterday (see: https://thepattayanews.com/2021/11/0...ovid-19-cases/ ) so that anyone who had been to these places could start monitoring themselves.

Not one of these reports traced any cases to restaurants. Of course, to be fair, for a long time the restaurants were all closed. But before they were closed and after they reopened, I am not aware of any cases, anywhere in Pattaya or even anywhere in Thailand, that were traced back to restaurants.

I disagree with your argument that taking off masks in restaurants makes them more dangerous. Most of the recent cases, at least around Pattaya, came from migrant worker camps. You don't see too many of those people eating in restaurants, at least none that I frequent. But again, I don't see how serving alcohol is any more dangerous than not serving alcohol.

If there really is justification for allowing restaurants in both Phuket and Bangkok to serve alcohol, but not Pattaya - none of the arguments I've seen trying to justify it have swayed my opinion.

Forum's veteran Brad the Impala's Avatar
    Liked

Do you know of any restaurants - alcohol or not - where Covid was traced to? I don't.
    It's long been established that eating out in restaurants has a significant covid transmission risk.

See this article from last year.

Since the pandemic began, evidence has mounted suggesting that dining out in restaurants — especially indoors — is among the riskiest activities. In September, a study from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) found that adults with Covid-19 were twice as likely to have dined out in a restaurant in the two weeks prior to their infection.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/suzanne...per-new-study/

5. User who gave Like to post:

Dodger (November 7th, 2021)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

But again, I don't see how serving alcohol is any more dangerous than not serving alcohol.

If there really is justification for allowing restaurants in both Phuket and Bangkok to serve alcohol, but not Pattaya - none of the arguments I've seen trying to justify it have swayed my opinion.

Should we close down all the restaurants again to help prevent the spread of disease?
    You've made it abundantly clear that you're just not getting it.

Maybe they will have to close restaurants again...who knows. SERIOUS TIMES.

Just be glad that you're not the one who has to be making these decisions.

Liked

You've made it abundantly clear that you're just not getting it.
    Is that so? Disagreeing with you means I'm not getting it? Ok. Now I understand. In order to get it, I have to agree with you. You're the one who really knows how things should be.

Both Phuket and Bangkok are allowing alcohol to be served in restaurants. I have seen no reports that any Covid cases at all have anything whatsoever to do with those restaurants. Why would it be any different in Pattaya?

Now tell me what evidence you have, beyond personal opinion, that serving alcohol in a Pattaya restaurant is likely to spread Covid. Then maybe I'll get it.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Now tell me what evidence you have, beyond personal opinion, that serving alcohol in a Pattaya restaurant is likely to spread Covid. Then maybe I'll get it.
    Maybe you'd like to share the evidence you have that serving alcohol in Pattaya right now WON'T contribute to the spread of the virus.

Better yet, if you have this evidence, and aren't just saying these things as a matter of opinion, I'm sure the Thai Government...the CCSA Board Members...Thailand's Tourist and Sports Authorities, and the entire population of Pattaya would be delighted in seeing this as well.

Every country in the world is faced with the same set of challenges right now. We're not alone. Many expats over here, including myself, accept these inconveniences, as unpleasant as are. When it's safe to lift these restrictions we can all celebrate, but until then, you only have one choice, and that's to either accept the controls (or safeguards) that Thailand is putting in place, or move to another country.

Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked

The argument to serve alcohol in restaurants won’t be resolved here as it makes as much sense as the times you are allowed to buy alcohol in stores, if the Chonburi Governor won’t listen to the Thai business interests in Pattaya he sure as hell could care less what foreigners think!
    "In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

Liked

Maybe you'd like to share the evidence you have that serving alcohol in Pattaya right now WON'T contribute to the spread of the virus.
    Oh come on, Dodger. Do you really think you're going to get away with trying that method of turning the tables on me? Perhaps you would also like me to share evidence that serving food in Pattaya right now also won't contribute to the spread of the virus. I can't even provide evidence that peeing in a Big-C urinal won't contribute to the spread of the virus.

As difficult as it is to prove a negative, the evidence you ask me to share is there has been no such reports coming out of Phuket or Bangkok. Not a single case of Covid has been reported to have happened as a result of serving alcohol in a restaurant. If there were, the CCSA would most likely revoke permission to serve alcohol. I'm still waiting for you to explain why Pattaya should be any different.

None of this, by the way, affects me personally. I'm not a drinker, especially in restaurants. My idea of a drink is ordering soda water.

I sincerely apologize for this comparison. I really do, but I couldn't think of anything that better illustrates it: You come across, at least to me, just like a Trump supporter who is convinced Trump is right about his stolen election claims, even without any supporting evidence whatsoever. You have absolutely nothing - no evidence of any kind - to support your position, but I'm the one who doesn't get it? Ok, then I must be the one not getting it . . .

And, by the way, I have also seen no evidence from "the Thai Government...the CCSA Board Members...Thailand's Tourist and Sports Authorities" or any other source that serving alcohol in restaurants will lead, or even may lead, to the further spread of Covid. Have you seen any? If you have, I would appreciate a post showing their evidence. If I turn out to be wrong, I will admit it.

Quote Originally Posted by Manforallseasons View Post
    if the Chonburi Governor won’t listen to the Thai business interests in Pattaya he sure as hell could care less what foreigners think!
    I agree. In my opinion that's part of the problem. Once they've made up their minds, there is no persuading them to even contemplate the idea that they might be wrong.

Hey, that sounds like me. Just ask Dodger . . .

Forum's veteran
    Liked

......And, by the way, I have also seen no evidence from "the Thai Government...the CCSA Board Members...Thailand's Tourist and Sports Authorities" or any other source that serving alcohol in restaurants will lead to the further spread of Covid.
    And hopefully you'll continue seeing the same thing.

The restaurants in Pattaya have been closed during a good portion of this pandemic - no alcohol has been allowed to be served during an even larger portion...and there have been no tourists in town...a virtual ghost town. This doesn't provide a very good basis for making decisions relative to allowing alcohol to be served when tourists start arriving - so one would assume (at least I do) that the Government/CCSA used other sources of information to arrive at the conclusions they did.

It goes without saying that they're being extremely cautious considering the risk involved. No one, including the Government, is saying that they can prove, with factual data, that all of the decisions they're making are correct. That would be impossible. I think it's reasonable to assume that they're drawing their conclusions based on their knowledge of Pattaya, the controls, or lack of controls, exhibited by the restaurant owners, behavior patterns of the average Pattaya tourist, input from the local police, and many other contributing factors, with the best interest of everyone's safety in mind.

If you don't agree with that logic, and apparently you don't, that's your prerogative.

The TEST has now been activated: We'll all be able to see the effects of serving alcohol in the designated "Blue Zones" in short order. Hopefully, covid numbers will be within controllable limits and the blue zones can then be expanded to include Pattaya. If not, and we experience an uncontrollable covid outbreak in the process, then, one would assume that the ban will remain in place in Pattaya.