Quick navigation:
List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

View Poll Results: Pick whichever option applies.

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Have hired or owned motorcycle in Thailand + have motorcycle license from home country

3 11.54%
  • Have hired or owned motorcycle in Thailand + have motorcycle license from Thailand

3 11.54%
  • Have hired or owned motorcycle in Thailand + have no motorcycle license

2 7.69%
  • Have never hired or owned a motorcycle in Thailand but do have a motorcycle license

4 15.38%
  • Have never hired a motorcycle in Thailand and do not have a motorcycle license

14 53.85%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reshape Your Next Holiday -Poll

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Reshape Your Next Holiday -Poll

Quote Originally Posted by daydreamer View Post

Tourists have been allowed to receive a Thai driver's license for a number of years.]
    Absolutely.

I had a Thai motorbike license for many years before I retired and became an expat. I used my room rental address on the application which was never questioned.

The only difference is that I had to renew it annually, where my license now has a 5 year expiration.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

In the UK you can now visit any Post Office, present you driving licence and a photo and be granted an IDP in less than2 minutes.

Far preferable than the long winded procedure outlined in daydreamers link.

Of course this may not be suitable for long term expats but is,I think, infinitely preferable for “ tourists “.

3. User who gave Like to post:

Dodger (November 9th, 2021)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by gerefan2 View Post
    In the UK you can now visit any Post Office, present you driving licence and a photo and be granted an IDP in less than2 minutes.
    I did this last month, ready for the next trip. £5.50. Thailand needs the 1949 version of the IDP, which is an old booklet that looks like it was designed in 1949 and everything they add is by hand or physical stamps.

Even though they stamped the motorcycle part, without a full motorcycle license at home, I doubt it holds much water. I was getting it for car hire.

As for getting a Thai license, I would think most tourists would be put off by reading the procedure. I read it takes several weeks as well. If that's true, then even for my planned long trip, I might spend half the trip to get the license, which would expire part way through the trip the following winter.
    I imagine renewal is not easy either ?