Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: No Chinese for a While.

Liked

Re: No Chinese for a While.

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
    We have some great Chinese restaurants in Chicago. I loved the chop suey, low mien dishes, and my all-time favorite - giant egg rolls with sweet & sour sauce and hot mustard...yum yum!.

In 6 business trips to China I never once saw any of these dishes. I had shark fin soup once, which the company who was hosting my visit highly recommended, and it had no flavor at all, and the entree tasted like shit. They can give their legendary monkey brains, pickled pig livers, and roasted bat wings garnished with corona virus to someone else.
    I went to France once and the food was disgusting. When I want French food I expect what I can find here in the US: French fries, French toast, French's mustard, French dressing, Franco-American spaghetti. They can keep their snails and frog legs--I want real French food.

2. 4 Users gave Like to post:

Dodger (November 6th, 2021), francois (November 7th, 2021), gerefan2 (November 6th, 2021), vnman (November 6th, 2021)

Liked

In the USA don't they call French fries as freedom fries?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by dinagam View Post

Huh?

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
    Huh?
    Back in 2003, a change was made in the House of Representatives’ cafeteria, which involved swapping out the word “french” in french fries and replacing it with “Freedom.”

The new name “Freedom Fries” was actually penned in a North Carolina diner, and the reasoning behind the renaming was all due to France’s decision not to support the Iraq war.

Although the situation occurred back in 2003, the renaming still remains a topic of conversation today, with many people wondering how the term “Freedom Fries” came to be.
    Ella Kipling

6. 3 Users gave Like to post:

christianpfc (November 9th, 2021), dinagam (November 6th, 2021), Oliver2 (November 7th, 2021)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by dinagam View Post
    I haven't been in the USA since 2013, but at least then everywhere I went nobody was calling them French Fries or Freedom Fries. They were just calling them Fries.

8. User who gave Like to post:

Dodger (November 7th, 2021)

Liked

In the Northeastern States, the term used is French Fries.

Liked

In Miami it's "papas fritas"

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post

In the Northeastern States, the term used is French Fries.
    Yes, and the New Englanders also refer to Hot Dogs as "Weenies".

If you walked up to a Hot Dog stand in Chicago and asked for a Hot Weenie, they'd either just stand there and look at you strange, or squirt mustard in your face

Liked

"So you are talking about and blame Thai buses with Thai drivers, from Thai bus companies under Thai management, buses what has been served in Thai services for buses and still have "huge black plums" and Thai road police allows them to use Thai roads under Thai laws and Thai regulations and create traffic jams?"

Obvious trolling. I suggest one of those warning thingies that were so popular in a previous era. The mass Chinese tourist market destroyed large parts of Asian loveliness and set China back fifty years in terms of goodwill, reputation and standing.

13. User who gave Like to post:

Dodger (November 7th, 2021)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

The problem may be due to the fact that many (most?) are visiting a foreign country for the first time and some struggle to come to terms with the mores of a different culture. In the UK back in the fifties and sixties my parents' generation used to say the same of some of our US visitors. Things change when travel is no longer so unusual. And being in large groups is a major issue.

But I shall never forgive the Chinese tour guide with a stentorian voice who managed to destroy the serenity of our favourite Chiang Mai temple, Wat Chedi Luang. We'd left early to miss the crowds and celebrate (quietly) P's birthday. That coach party screwed us. Thais tend to be more amused than annoyed by this behaviour. But not on this occasion.