Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Wine in Thailand

Liked

Wine

Amplified...? Not exactly the word i would use..? Clarified maybe...!! But why would I put you on ignore....you took the time to actually give me info i was seeking.....and i do appreciate it..!!!

And for those who dont think quality wine is tastey in Thailand obviously just dont know good wine.....Quality wine is good anywhere in the world.....unless your tastebuds are numbed by all that gin and tonic...?

For the dicerning?

Quote Originally Posted by TopChinese
    Quote Originally Posted by Cedric
    Are you condemning us natives to insipid beer and fancy cocktails? That wine should be reserved to the fine gentlemen in more temperate regions? What drivel...

Wine can be enjoyed here in the outback.. just remember to chill your whites AND reds (slightly). Maybe you should actually try some when you next visit the backward rainforests of Bangkok.
    I see wine promotions do actually work. There I was thinking no one in their right minds believes all that crap, about wine being only for the discerning. Coming from a land where the average person thinks Rolex is the ultimate status symbol, I suppose not too surprising that the myths surrounding Plonk are taken seriously. Anything to to increase market share. Next you will be telling me that gnawing dog penis is good for the libido?

Of course I like wine, I used to drink it with every meal when I lived in Brussels, for me it was a staple, along with blood sausage and raw cow. However there are only certain altitudes in the tropics where wine can be enjoyed, minus the heat and humidity that turns it into stuff better reserved for the septic tank. Climate and altitude aside,wine is also not suitable for most of the food in the tropics, despite what the promoters will have you believe, and that includes anything spicy.

Now of course if you live in a totally artificial environment, and I suspect you don't out there in the outback, with constant aircon and controlled humidity and your wine is kept absolutely at thirty fathoms deep beneath your humble hut, then a sip or three behind closed doors in the brief cool season would probably be quite nice. Bangkok is the very worst place to indulge, add a few cubic tons of exhaust fumes to the mix and you are all set to climb Doi Inthawichayanon with yer head stuckup yer arse. But why bother when there are so many other delicious tried and tested alternatives infinitely more suitable.

Then again it must be considered an exotic snort by the natives, who are probably immune to it's finer points anyway, so cheers, enjoy!

Wine in LOS

Wine in Thailand

Australian and Chi lien are quite popular because of good price, comparing to french and California. Cause of the weather that is hot and humid. Wine are difficult to keep long in Thailand. So white wine from Australia and fruity wine from Chili are most popular.

Or try Thai wine ! Join the club

http://www.royalcliff.com/rcwineclub.htm

PS. Cedric during your stay in Brussels, did you try " Grand Cru de manneken pis "?!

Oh yes I certainly will be reserving my "strictly limited seat, available on a first come-first -served basis" for the "Royal Cliff beach resort" wine clubs tour and tasting of the "highly acclaimed" PBValley winery. Lets hope my reservation doesn't come before I do, on that strictly first come basis, as this sounds like the highlight, I would like it to last.

Californian wines are predictably overrated. Chilean wines are good, especially the ubiquitous supermarket Merlot, somewhat coarse but not too bad if you are eating barbecued mackeril or lamb in Gomera.
    If the idea of wine really sets you on fire and you simply must have some on your exotic tropical island paradise, try a deep frozen Riesling with tons of ice, from New Zealand or Austria, these are some of the very few wines that can even be had with Thai food, not the late harvest Riesling from else-where, you don't want to choke on syrup. Forget the French crap, it will only make you reach for the bucket.

White or red fruity or not, it is like "offing" a fat old sweaty retired German cabbage boer, off Sunni plaza, is there a point? Unless you are like Baziel who likes things just outside of the expected?

Experience with the 'Natives'

My experience of dining with Thai guys (on the rare occassions I eat at a 'proper' restaurant) is that Thai guys avoid wine like the plague with explanations that it makes them 'Mao too quick', sticks around on the palate too long and leaves them with a throbbing head in the morning (and not the throbbing head you'd wish for). Most of the guys I have dined with prefer plain and simple water with any meal and then move on to the Sang Som, 100 Pipers, Mehkong(?) and even the odd G&T when they want to look 'real sophisticated', like Pearl. :cheers:

The natives know best!

I love having wine with most meals -- and yes, I did once ask a waitress in Melbourne if she could recommend a nice breakfast wine, after the typical overnight flight to Oz!!! When I was posted to Bangkok, I found the Wine Connection there to be a bit pricey (maybe the one in Pattaya is more reasonable given lower overhead etc.). Good god I would love to know what they recommened?

Re: For the dicerning?

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric
    Now of course if you live in a totally artificial environment, and I suspect you don't out there in the outback, with constant aircon and controlled humidity and your wine is kept absolutely at thirty fathoms deep beneath your humble hut, then a sip or three behind closed doors in the brief cool season would probably be quite nice. Bangkok is the very worst place to indulge, add a few cubic tons of exhaust fumes to the mix and you are all set to climb Doi Inthawichayanon with yer head stuckup yer arse. But why bother when there are so many other delicious tried and tested alternatives infinitely more suitable.

Then again it must be considered an exotic snort by the natives, who are probably immune to it's finer points anyway, so cheers, enjoy!
    Seems like sarcasm is lost on you like good taste. Oh well... such is life on this board, as I'm pondering the nature of life sitting in the tropics with a lovely glass of perfectly chilled Riesling. Pity you don't seem to be able to keep an open mind about things. Unlike my friends who will be at my party in Bangkok next week, enjoying the crisp Sauvignon Blanc from Hawkes Bay, New Zealand and probably the delicious Kanonkop Pinotage 2004 served with a selection of antipasti and tapas...

Quote Originally Posted by t2mk6
    Good god I would love to know what they recommened?
    For breakfast, nothing beats a good cup of freshly brewed coffee. A NV champagne like Veuve or a Pol Roger could also go a long way. I love having my Krug with my breakfast on that SQ flight before arriving in JFK..

For the dicerning?

[quote="TopChinese"]Seems like sarcasm is lost on you like good taste. Oh well... such is life on this board, as I'm pondering the nature of life sitting in the tropics with a lovely glass of perfectly chilled Riesling. Pity you don't seem to be able to keep an open mind about things. Unlike my friends who will be at my party in Bangkok next week, enjoying the crisp Sauvignon Blanc from Hawkes Bay, New Zealand and probably the delicious Kanonkop Pinotage 2004 served with a selection of antipasti and tapas...
    [quote="t2mk6"]

"TopChinese" (isn't that a contradiction in terms) enjoy my recomendation. You will find the Rieseling excelent.

I have an assortment of wine here you are most welcome to, including a case of Chinese ones, rather romantically calling themselves simply, "Greatwall", a 1995 Cabernet Sauvignon.
    Every so often I open one up take a deep sniff, turn cross eyed and use it for mouth wash. I find in this tropical heat it it is excellent for getting a dry mouth back into action.
    Your Kanonkop Pinotage interests me, if you have ever stuffed a handful of these fresh grapes into your mouth you will know that they are extraordinarily disgusting, the resulting wine similarly has overtones of nail varnish and the mellow bouquet of gasoline. I give you 100% for having an open mind, and the same for bravery. I would reserve it for last , when you are already too crapulous to care, the projectile tapas, hurled your
    way, will wash out in time, and so might your stomach.

Re: Experience with the 'Natives'

Quote Originally Posted by Fatman41
    My experience is that Thai guys avoid wine like the plague
    Au contraire. When the King had his heart problems a few years ago, he enjoined the Thais to drink red wine and many still do. I have dinner regularly with Thais (both in Bangkok and among the Thai disapora) who of their own volition order and drink wine. I guess it's a matter of getting used to it. With bar boys I suspect it's usually (although not always) different, as many of them drink merely to get drunk, and spirits do that much faster