Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wine in Thailand

Liked
    What I did find was Villa Market - usuall the one on Sukhumvit between 33 and 35, but occasionally the one down by (Soi 6 is it??). They have a whole floor, temperature and light controlled, dedicated to wine. Each month they have 30 to 50 wines on sale, and the sale prices are good -- especially if you can survive without having European wines very often. After your first few cases, the staff get to know you, and will call your attention to new arrivals, or even 'extend' a sale if you have a particular favourite.
    Yes Villa market, near Suk 33, is an excellent place to buy wine, I buy mine there as well, and I usually go for the buy 1 get 1 free sales. My boyfriend loves to drink wine, but really the prices are still silly. Two weeks ago, I bought some Aussie white wine, for 900 baht I got two bottles. I'm sure the same bottles would have cost me around 400 baht back in my home country.

Liked

duty free at Don Muang

I used to bring as a present for an expat who manages my property in Pattaya, several bottles of really good red.

Now with the difficulty of taking bottles on planes, might have to look at the duty free shop as an alternative.

Usually I am in such a hurry to get my bags and go, I linger to look at prices in the duty free.

Has anybody bought wine at Dom Muang?

I know that duty free wines at OZ airports are often more expensive than at our cut price liquor chains..
    Wombat : an Australian marsupial that eats,roots and leaves

Whine?

Quote Originally Posted by sjaak327
    [but really the prices are still silly. Two weeks ago, I bought some Aussie white wine, for 900 baht I got two bottles. I'm sure the same bottles would have cost me around 400 baht back in my home country
    I think that's a whine about wine. Of course the prices are goint to be different for two glaringly obvious reasons
    1 transport to Thailand
    2 excise tax in Thailand
    and one less obvious - competition keeps prices low where they can be kept low - in Australian liquor shops. They'll be higher in Australian airport dury free shops because they are a monopoly. Once you're at the aiport, all your choices disappear. Once you're in Thailand, your choices don't expand all that much

Obviously day-to-day economics is something many people don't comprehend

Liked
    I think that's a whine about wine. Of course the prices are goint to be different for two glaringly obvious reasons
    1 transport to Thailand
    2 excise tax in Thailand
    Well the first reason is doubtfull, since in my home country they don't produce any wine, surely if I purchase Aussie wine in the Netherlands, you would even think that the transport cost would be higher, then getting the same bottle into Thailand.

I agree about the second reason being obvious.

Not really

Well the first reason is doubtfull, since in my home country they don't produce any wine, surely if I purchase Aussie wine in the Netherlands, you would even think that the transport cost would be higher, then getting the same bottle into Thailand
    If the costs of transportation to Thailand vs The Netherlands were the only variable then that's a possibility but despite the difference in distance there's probably not a great deal of difference in costs translated to the individual bottle level. However direct costs of transportation to a country are not the only variable. There are indirect transportation (landing) costs as well, which have to do with the efficiency and lack of corruption, "spillages" etc. at the port and on the road. I'm prepared to venture (since my family company is inolved in import/export in Thailand) that ports in the Netherlands have much lower landing costs all round than ports in Thailand

Liked

Re: Not really

Quote Originally Posted by homintern
    Well the first reason is doubtfull, since in my home country they don't produce any wine, surely if I purchase Aussie wine in the Netherlands, you would even think that the transport cost would be higher, then getting the same bottle into Thailand
    If the costs of transportation to Thailand vs The Netherlands were the only variable then that's a possibility but despite the difference in distance there's probably not a great deal of difference in costs translated to the individual bottle level. However direct costs of transportation to a country are not the only variable. There are indirect transportation (landing) costs as well, which have to do with the efficiency and lack of corruption, "spillages" etc. at the port and on the road. I'm prepared to venture (since my family company is inolved in import/export in Thailand) that ports in the Netherlands have much lower landing costs all round than ports in Thailand
    Then I stand corrected. Anyway it wasn't really a whinge, more of an observation, most things are cheaper in Thailand then they are back in Europe, wine is an exception.

Liked

Wine

silly question maybe...? but are you allowed to bring a bottle or two from the US to Thailand as a gift.....or will they hit you with the duty no matter...? I have taken bottle to Japan with no problems...but of course it is not Thailand..?

Re: Wine

Quote Originally Posted by kodiak
    silly question maybe...? but are you allowed to bring a bottle or two from the US to Thailand as a gift.....or will they hit you with the duty no matter...? I have taken bottle to Japan with no problems...but of course it is not Thailand..?
    Have you ever had your luggage searched coming into Thailand?

Re: Wine

Quote Originally Posted by homintern
    Have you ever had your luggage searched coming into Thailand?
    Every time that I am not carrying golf bags, they seem to want to look in my duty free bag (only). They don't seem to mind the two bottles of wine, but they always ask if I am bringing more than one carton of cigarettes.

Liked

wine

What kind of corckage fee should I expect to pay......if going to one of Pattyas finer establishments..?