Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PM to Allow Loy Krathong Celebrations

Forum's veteran
    Liked

PM to Allow Loy Krathong Celebrations

According to the PM's latest announcement, the Loy Krathong celebrations are on for this year...yeah!!!...but...wait...hold on a minute...there's a few restrictions.

1) Fireworks are not allowed
    2) Flying Lanterns is not allowed.
    3) No one is allowed to drink alcohol

No lanterns...no fireworks...no drinking. What's left?.... other than sitting around sober - watching a bunch of carved banana tree carvings with candles floating on the water. HIP - HIP - HOORAY!!!

This being the case: Jai and I will hold our own private celebration this year: We'll carve up and decorate our own slice of banana tree trunk, light the candles and float our krathong out to sea, enjoy a few strong margarita's, and do the-wild-thing under the star lit sky - void of anyone else's lanterns. Any port in a storm as they say.

https://pattayaone.news/pm-agrees-to...ld-nationwide/

2. 4 Users gave Like to post:

a447 (November 3rd, 2021), Armando (November 3rd, 2021), dinagam (November 3rd, 2021), splinter1949 (November 3rd, 2021)

Liked

Re: PM to Allow Loy Krathong Celebrations

Dodger, you're the type of guy who can find his own fun without the need to rely on someone else.

Good for you! I'm more than a little envious.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
    Loy Krathong celebrations
    Celebrations? Based on the restrictions I'd say that's the wrong word. "Observations" seems more accurate to me.

Actually, the flying lanterns have been illegal for several years - fire hazard

Beach fireworks are also illegal, although many were firing them off anyway. Maybe the city will be doing fireworks unless they've made that verboten too.

No booze? I don't think anyone needs me to tell how many people are likely to adhere to that one.

What I miss most are the beach parties and BBQ buffets the beach concessionaires used to host. Those have been gone for years now. I remember when you used to have to buy advance tickets for those so the concessionaires would know how many people they'll need to provide for.

Now there won't be anything much to attract me to the beach for Loy Krathong this year and the same goes for my Thai friends. Several have told me not only will they not go to the beach, they're not even going to bother making krathongs this year. Apparently this year the holiday has all but fizzled out before it even starts.

It would be nice if maybe next year things can go back to the way they used to be - when Thai holidays were actually fun.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Gaybutton View Post
    Actually, the flying lanterns have been illegal for several years - fire hazard

Beach fireworks are also illegal, although many were firing them off anyway. Maybe the city will be doing fireworks unless they've made that verboten too.

No booze? I don't think anyone needs me to tell how many people are likely to adhere to that one.
    I don't know about Loy Krathong, but for New Year, it's been common to see loads of flying lanterns, beach fireworks and booze on Pattaya beach.

Unless they have had some very recent changes in rules/enforcement of rules ?

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by goji View Post
    I don't know about Loy Krathong, but for New Year
    And I don't know about New Year. I can't speak to it because I don't go out for New Year and it has been many New Years since I last did. Too many drunk drivers. And if I did go out for New Year's Eve, the last place I would be heading to would be the beach.

What I do know is beach fireworks and the lanterns are illegal. And for the upcoming New Year, the way things are going don't be surprised if booze will be illegal too.

Liked

Every year, here in Chiang Mai, we are told that lanterns are not permitted in districts near the airport. Fortunately, most evening flights get cancelled as nobody takes the slightest notice of the prohibition, sensible though it may be. This year Yi Peng falls on 19 November, same as Loy Krathong, and Yi Peng without Khom Loy is unthinkable.

8. User who gave Like to post:

dinagam (November 3rd, 2021)

Liked

from a quick Google search:

Thais celebrate Loy Krathong for many reasons. As the main rice harvest season ends, it’s time to thank the Water Goddess for a year’s worth of her abundant supply, as well as an apology for polluting the waters.

Some believe that this is the time to symbolically ‘float away’ all the anger and grudges you have been holding onto, and including a fingernail or a lock of hair is seen as a way of letting go of a dark side of yourself, to start anew free of negative feelings. If your candle stays alight until your Krathong disappears out of sight, it means a year of good luck.
    Loy Krathong originated from an old Brahmin festival that paid respects to the water spirits. The festival was adapted in Thailand to also show respect to Buddha. The candle venerates the Buddha with light, while the krathong's floating away symbolises letting go of all one's hatred, anger, and defilements. People sometimes cut their fingernails or hair and place the clippings on the krathong as a symbol of letting go of past transgressions and negative thoughts. Many Thais also use the krathong to thank the Goddess of Water
    the posts on this thread seem to consider the main components of a good Loy Kratong are "booze, fireworks, parties, BBQs on the beach" - this disjoint between then and now brings up the same feelings for me as the degeneration of Songkran even during the time I have been living in Thailand

perhaps this gloomy mood is partly a reaction to the Bangkok Post article this morning about Central Group's plans to spend 500 million Baht on marketing to promote increased consumer spending over Christmas and New Year - including a huge Christmas Tree and an ice skating rink

or perhaps my rose-coloured glasses have just slipped too far leaving me thinking the commercial gay sex scene has degenerated into a dystopian parody of its earlier self - again during the time I have been living in Thailand

or perhaps I just need some sex, drugs and rock and roll to cure lockdown blues?
    I can’t even be bothered to be apathetic these days!

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by bkkguy View Post
    from a quick Google search:
    Did you really think Loi Kraton is about water spirits? I hate to break it to you, Loi Kraton is a reason to go out, drink, and feel happy, basically family holiday. No one gives a shit about water spirits. It's like arguing Christmas is about baby Jesus, and not at all about drinking and gorging on food.
    But you are the guy who insists Bangkok should really be called Krung Thep, desperately more Thai than Thais.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDutch View Post
    Did you really think Loi Kraton is about water spirits? I hate to break it to you, Loi Kraton is a reason to go out, drink, and feel happy.
    That is what Loy Krathong is really all about. Technically bkkguy is correct. Practically, that aspect of it doesn't mean much anymore. Why does it have to be one or the other? Can't both aspects of the holiday be celebrated?

Realistically, no matter what the holiday is all about, this year it seems destined to be a dud.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

In rural Thailand, it is about Kratongs ( naturally), washing effigies and paying respects to elders. Of course, there are new clothes for the kids (sometimes) and drinking (always) but in Kamphaeng Phaet, for example, the old traditions are still respected and observed.

13. User who gave Like to post:

Dodger (November 4th, 2021)