Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Reshape Your Next Holiday

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Liked

Re: Reshape Your Next Holiday

I have to disagree with much of the above.

I've never been stopped by a policeman who didn't speak pretty good English.

The checkpoints move about.

As it stands your standard IDP allows you to drive a minibus full of schoolchildren on the motorway but not a 125cc Honda Click to Carrefour. Go figure.

I've never been asked for money by a policeman if I wasn't going anything wrong and by wrong I mean no helmet. I always insist on a ticket and go to the station to pay it. Why reward the guy who stops you.

I got stopped at midnight once for not wearing a helmet and the policeman soo wanted me to give him the money. I refused and he reluctantly wrote out a ticket. One, it was not an official helmet checkpoint...they stop at about 11.00pm. Two, next time he sees me he won't bother.

After 11.00pm it's only drink driving they're interested in.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

I've never rented a motor-cy but i can understand why some people like them.

For fifteen or so years, i hired a car for my travels in northern and southern Thailand. I found that the scenic roads and lack of traffic were a delight. Despite taking out enhanced insurance, I was aware that the implications of being involved in an accident, particularly if a resident was hurt, were serious.

I did the same in Bali twice when I visited alone back in the 90s. Lonely Planet had warned that any accident would probably involve a night in a cell while financial matters were attended to. I was younger and braver then.

In Thailand we now use taxis. This is at the behest of P who fusses about what would happen if we were in an accident so much that he has worn me down.

Like others, I miss the freedom and independence of self-drive and have never felt nervous about driving. I find the standards, at least in rural areas, perfectly safe.

As for The Fuzz, only once have we been stopped; this was at a permanent checkpoint north of Chiang Rai on the Golden Triangle Road. P was was given a pee test while I was allowed to sit in the car, fretting. He didn't care.

3. User who gave Like to post:

daydreamer (November 5th, 2021)

Liked

In addition to the above.

Previously the plods would keep the licence and you'd go and pay it at the station, either there and then or the next day. The 400 baht never bothers me.

But the last time there was none of that, they kept the bike and I had to trunk off to plodville on the back of a taxi, pay the fine and then trunk back again. Both taxi riders wete fat and not sexy. Next time I'm sticking 400 baht in the inside cover of the licence and replacing as required.