Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reshape Your Next Holiday

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Reshape Your Next Holiday

I always rented a motorbike during holidays before buying one about 12 years ago. Like MFAS, I go everywhere on my bike and couldn't live without it over here.

Riding a motorbike will definitely expand the scope of your holiday, for the simple reason that it's so easy to get around that you'll end up going more places in a normal day.

Yesterday I drove from Bang Saray to Pattaya at sun-up for coffee with friends - then north to Naklua to pick up Vaccine passport - then brunch back at Taco Bell in Pattaya - then some shopping at Villa Market - then a short visit to Jomtien Complex - and arrived back in Bang Saray at 12 noon. Jai and I hopped on the bike later on for a drive to a beach restaurant - some last minute shopping at the local market - and back home again. This is to just to give you an idea of the ground you can cover, and different variety of things you can do in a single day..

To ride a motorcycle in Thailand, and remain strictly within the law, you must possess and produce: A national drivers license issued in your home country valid for a motorcycle, AND, An International Driving Permit, OR, a Thai motorbike drivers license. At least those were the requirements 2 years ago when my daughter visted Thailand and rented a motorbike. Check on-line to see if they've changed.

SOME HELPFUL HINTS:

NEVER drink and drive.
    ALWAYS wear your helmut (I don't, but that's stupid)
    NEVER leave valuables in the seat storage compartment unattended.
    Drive slow, and always be aware of any/all moving objects around you.
    ALWAYS use your turn signals (they don't)
    Avoid driving after dark (you'll live longer)

Liked

I don't agree with the after dark suggestion. Thats when all the boys come out to play. Hoeever I will add a few add ons. Most Thai drivers are quite normal and very well tuned in to the bike culture, after all careless driving is likely to see them go into a mother and child.

You'll get a puncture at some point. Worry not. Simply ride slowly in any direction and you'll come to a tyre place to get it fixed.

As Dodger says, ride as if you're in your own country and you'll be fine.

The motorcy taxi drivers are quite unpleasant on the road but then you knew that anyway.

The Easy Rider thread is not a novel. You dont fancy a bit of that? Really!!!

The boys think you're cooler if you have a bike, Fact. You can.let them drive as you give them a lift back to the bar after naughties and fondle their man bits as you go.

3. User who gave Like to post:

dab69 (November 3rd, 2021)

Liked

I still haven't got a national drivers licence for motorcycle but that have not prevented me from renting and riding a motorbike whether in Cambodia, Laos or Thailand. I ride safely and with consideration for others, and riding during daylight to explore sites in a particular province. Never been stopped by the police, although once near the border between Loei Thailand and Laos, a policeman had a bemused look on his face when he saw me riding past without a rear number plate, probably guessing that the falang was on a rented bike. All in all I've rented motorbikes in Kampot and Kratie in Cambodia, in Vientiane, Viangxai, and Savvanakhet in Laos, and in Pai, Maehongson, Loei, Khaoyai, Huahin, Kohsamui and a few more places in Thailand without encountering any problems and I've thoroughly enjoyed myself during those trips. And will continue to do so when another opportunity arises.

5. User who gave Like to post:

Dodger (November 3rd, 2021)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by arsenal View Post

......You can.let them drive as you give them a lift back to the bar after naughties and fondle their man bits as you go.
    I got so drunk once at the old Hollywood Disco that I ended up fondling the motocy drivers man bits on the way home. When we came to a stop in front of my room he turned and smiled at me. He looked like a toothless Earnest Borgnine...LOL

7. 2 Users gave Like to post:

Oliver2 (November 3rd, 2021), Ruthrieston (November 4th, 2021)

Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked

Rarely will the shops that rent motorbikes offer insurance, even if they do it will be worth nothing if you don’t have some sort of motorbike license and if you are unlikely enough to be involved in an accident regardless of who’s fault as a foreigner it will be your fault.
    "In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

9. User who gave Like to post:

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by dinagam View Post
    And will continue to do so when another opportunity arises.
    Would the lack of a local or international drivers' licence affect your ability to claim from your insurance policy in the event of an accident? Just curious.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Armando View Post
    Would the lack of a local or international drivers' licence affect your ability to claim from your insurance policy in the event of an accident? Just curious.
    I'm sure it does... Que será será.
    But I must state that I drive like a mother superior; sober, prim and proper.

12. User who gave Like to post:

gerefan2 (November 3rd, 2021)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

If you don't have a valid license in the country where the accident happened, you're riding illegally and probably you're not covered by your insurance.

I’ve paid many bribes for minor driving violations, and it works like a charm, but if you get in an accident in Thailand without a license and insurance your fucked...and not by someone of your choosing.

Anyone who hasn’t rented a motorbike in Thailand before should read the link below:

https://www.worldnomads.com/travel-s...-are-the-rules

14. User who gave Like to post:

a447 (November 3rd, 2021)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Armando View Post
    My International Drivers Permit cost £5.50 and took about 10 minutes in a post office.
    They stamped the motorcycle box and my UK License has provisional entitlement for a motorcycle.

Regarding the legality of then riding in Thailand, I presume it depends on what rules they have for learners ? I would be interested to hear about that.

I actually got the IDP for car hire & only after reading the small print on my insurance am I considering motorcycle hire.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by goji View Post
    My International Drivers Permit cost £5.50 and took about 10 minutes in a post office. They stamped the motorcycle box and my UK License has provisional entitlement for a motorcycle..
    SO, basically you weren't covered then either to drive in Thailand nor insured . ok. So basically your licence was just about enough to get past a police check point, if lucky without having to pay a bribe as every Thai policeman now knows that your (UK/ home country) licence MUST have you already having passed your motorcycle test, a provisional licence doesn't count and from experience if they're in the mood they'll happily bring that up if there's a need for a few baht for you for their tea fund.

We need to accept that if no full home country licence exists we are all driving illegally, thats it, end of - then accept that fact and dont do it OR ( as most of us do including myself) carry on and accept the risks of minor and major costs should we find ourselves in an accident.

When you think about it that IS nuts and most of us wouldn't dream of doing that at home, but hey when the sun sea and boys kicks in sure all sense goes out the windows anyway with most of us in most regards anyway so no real difference there then......

17. User who gave Like to post: