Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hopes Dashed for BKK Bars and GoGo’s

Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked

Hopes Dashed for BKK Bars and GoGo’s

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand...only-until-9pm

Bangkok restaurants that want to serve alcohol must have SHA (Safety and Health Administration) certificates and service must end at 9pm, City Hall said on Saturday as it detailed regulations for the lifting of many Covid restrictions starting on Monday.

Many other types of businesses, including gyms and cinemas with certain conditions, will be allowed to resume as the capital prepares to welcome international tourists. However, entertainment venues, pubs, bars and karaoke shops will remain closed.

The communicable disease control committee of the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration announced the new rules a day after the central government designated Bangkok, Krabi, Phangnga and Phuket as tourist-oriented “blue zones” as part of the tourism and economic revival plan.

Disease control officials stressed that businesses allowed to open or conduct some activities must continue to abide strictly by universal Covid prevention guidelines and must have Covid-free settings. The eased restrictions will be in effect from Nov 1-30 but authorities reserve the right to make changes as needed.

"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

Liked

Re: Hopes Dashed for BKK Bars and GoGo’s

It is almost as if the powers-that-be are sending a message - "We want all you tourists out there to return to Thailand. We just don't want you to enjoy yourselves once you get here."

Other than wearing the masks and using disinfectant, you know how many of all these rules I believe are still necessary? None of them . . .

3. User who gave Like to post:

BenCH (November 1st, 2021)

Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked

The sad thing here is that the entertainment businesses have shouldered a huge part of the economic burden that Covid has caused and just how long can these venues survive under these conditions? From what I have read December 1 openings are only spoken of in commentary, I’ve seen nothing that makes this set in stone.
    "In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Manforallseasons View Post
    how long can these venues survive under these conditions?
    We don't even know yet how many have survived. We are now only a few weeks away from the supposed opening date, but I have seen no notifications from any of the bars that they will be reopening. None of the bar boys I know and am in contact with have said they intend to return to the bars. Not one.

There is a big difference between can reopen and will reopen. But bar owners that do intend to reopen would be wise to do a lot more than just unlock the doors and turn on the lights. Unless they are utter idiots, the gay bar owners must realize the best way to let gay customers know their intentions is to make sure the 3 main gay boards know. So far no bar owner has contacted me.

I definitely hope I am wrong, but the closer we're getting to December, the more pessimistic I'm getting.

The advent of the hookup apps killed the gay beach scene. I just hope Covid hasn't killed the go-go bar scene.

Liked

These days, bars would probably post on Facebook first, then maybe the forums. I don't like that, but it's how I think it often operates.

Also, the rules for inbound travel on 1 November were only announced in the middle of October. Why would we expect rules on 1 Dec bar opening to be announced over a month in advance ?

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by goji View Post
    Why would we expect rules on 1 Dec bar opening to be announced over a month in advance ?
    Does that matter? If their announcements go as usual, then it's virtually a given whatever rules they announce will change, probably several times.

If you spot any bars announcing opening on Facebook or anywhere else, please post the link.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

No COCKfighting rings open?

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by dab69 View Post
    No COCKfighting rings open?
    I haven't quite figured out this one: "Spas and Thai massage shops can open via appointment."

Does that mean you need an appointment to go to a "happy ending" gay massage? Well, not really a problem:

Me: "Hi. I'm here outside of your massage shop to make an appointment."
    Massage boy: "What time you like appointment?"
    Me: "How about two minutes from now?"

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by goji View Post

Also, the rules for inbound travel on 1 November were only announced in the middle of October. Why would we expect rules on 1 Dec bar opening to be announced over a month in advance ?
    Valid point.

Most people, who know how things work over here, don't expect these types of announcements from the bars until after Dec 1st when the government has made its decision. All these knee-jerk reactions to what's going on right now are just causing people needless frustration and serve no purpose..

Some people seem to think that the bar owners have some sort of crystal ball allowing them to see into the future. Well, they don't. The bar owners are doing exactly the same thing the majority of us are doing, and that's listening to the news every day and reading the morning papers hoping for clues.

I've been in contact with several bar owners/managers/staff over the past 6 months and can tell you that they don't have they foggiest clue what the future holds either. The ones who I've talked to have not vacated their premises and remain hopeful that they can resume business sooner rather than later, but, again, there's no crystal balls out there.

It's very possible (and logical) that the Cabinet Ministers & CCSA are using todays reopening, as well as the designation of 4 blue zones which now allow alcohol to be served under highly controlled conditions, AS A TEST. If the covid cases skyrocket during this test, the chances of the alcohol ban being removed in other areas, and bars being allowed to reopen in the near-future, would probably be slim to none. Conversely, if the reopening is a success, and the number of reported covid cases proves to be controllable, then there's hope.

The bottom-line is that the Cabinet Ministers and CCSA themselves don't have the answers that some people are looking for right now. We are all simply in "unknown territory" and the final decision belongs to "Covid".

As a side note: I personally believe the controls they're putting in place are both necessary and justifiable. The last thing anyone wants is another Virus Super-Spreader throwing the Kingdom into another lockdown and tourism forced to come to a screeching halt before it ever gets a chance to get started again. That wouldn't do any of the businesses any good.

11. 3 Users gave Like to post:

arsenal (November 1st, 2021), llz (November 1st, 2021), Ruthrieston (November 1st, 2021)

Liked

Simplicity is the key to getting through this. Get the population vaccinated and let all fully vaccinated people in. Take the covid hit that will undoubtedly follow nut with very few deaths.

Here. China has closed Shanghai Disneyland, tested people on exit and kept them isolated until the results come through. They may well have to go into lockdown after returning to their home cities. How long can they live this way.

13. User who gave Like to post:

Dodger (November 1st, 2021)