Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What's the score on masks?

Liked

Re: What's the score on masks?

Quote Originally Posted by Gaybutton View Post
    Unfortunately, I think most of you probably know that in Thailand, that won't make any difference. I suppose this is a harsh way of putting it, but it's true - in Thailand either wear the mask or F.O.
    I reckon Thailand has got this policy 100% right. Wearing a mask is much easier and more pleasant than catching covid.

I expect the people who are genuinely unable to wear a mask are well below 1% and the widespread compliance in Thailand kind of proves it.
    Meanwhile in Britain, for the entire pandemic, people have been allowed not to wear masks if they are "unable to", without needing to provide any proof. So the feckless have been not wearing masks the whole time, in addition to the minority who are genuinely unable to wear one.

If someone has genuine breathing problems when wearing a mask, simply look for the thinnest and most badly fitting mask possible.
    A surgical mask without the nose band adjusted ought to do it, although one might need to wear contact lenses, rather than glasses, in order to avoid steaming up.

Wearing a surgical mask with the nose band left straight, I can stick 2 fingers in the gap either side of the nose, which means it's far bigger than the nostrils and not an airflow obstruction.
    That might cause steaming for glasses wearers. Putting the mask on upside down creates an airflow path out of the bottom, but of course there is no nose band at the top. The obvious move is to modify a mask by gluing a nose band on the bottom.

I won't be doing this, but it's a solution for those GENUINELY inconvenienced by airflow restrictions & prepared to take the increased risk of catching covid.
    I'd expect that is good enough for everyone, but if a mask with no airflow restriction still isn't good enough, then it's probably a mindset issue. In most cases.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Patanawet View Post

As a by the by, I was in 7-11 today and they are selling test kits at 99 Baht.
    Yeh, and if it shows you test positive, throw the fucking thing in the garbage and buy an ice cream cone like everyone else...LOL

3. User who gave Like to post:

Patanawet (October 26th, 2021)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
    Yeh, and if it shows you test positive, throw the fucking thing in the garbage and buy an ice cream cone like everyone else...LOL
    I agree. Those cheap test kits are notorious for false positives - false negatives too. Would anyone reading this really rely on the results you get with a 99 baht test kit as accurate?

If you want to test yourself to see if you're sick, you don't need one of those cheap test kits. You need a thermometer . . .

5. User who gave Like to post:

Dodger (October 26th, 2021)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Gaybutton View Post
    If you want to test yourself to see if you're sick, you don't need one of those cheap test kits. You need a thermometer . . .
    To see if you have a fever.

Those kits are 40 Baht at GPO pharmacies.

Liked

Interesting to hear that compliance in Thailand is close to 100%, whereas here in Cambodia 50% estimated. Recently I attended an event for foreigners in Kampot and of about 50 participants, nobody was wearing a mask (neither did I, I only carry one to put on when required or in crowds).

In travels in Vietnam I counted 99% of mocy drivers were wearing helmets, long way to go for Thailand.

From my time in the army, or was it from reports going back decades?, there were stories of partially un-screwing the filter for gas masks to allow air to pass on the side. A filter for a gas mask is indeed a noticeable resistance to air flow. There might be ways to tweak a face mask to look like it's properly working, but allowing all air to flow in and out unfiltered?

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by christianpfc View Post
    There might be ways to tweak a face mask to look like it's properly working, but allowing all air to flow in and out unfiltered?
    Why would anyone want to negate the effects of a mask?

9. 2 Users gave Like to post:

Patanawet (October 28th, 2021), Ruthrieston (October 28th, 2021)

Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    Why would anyone want to negate the effects of a mask?

Look who you’re asking. Lol
    "In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

Forum's veteran
    Liked

unfortunately in the west we are so aware of our peresonal rights to the detriment of the greater good...if i was king of the world I'd "encourage" the maskless ones to work in a covid ward.

12. 4 Users gave Like to post:

a447 (October 28th, 2021), billyhouston (October 29th, 2021), francois (October 28th, 2021), Nirish guy (October 28th, 2021)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by latintopxxx View Post
    if i was king of the world I'd "encourage" the maskless ones to work in a covid ward.
    Very well said. The same ought to be "encouraged" for the anti-vaxers.

14. 2 Users gave Like to post:

gerefan2 (October 28th, 2021), Ruthrieston (October 28th, 2021)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

I like wearing my mask.

Sound crazy?...it's the truth.

I go everywhere on my motorbike, and the mask helps block some (not all) of the unspent carbon monoxide fumes from these unmaintained jalopies they drive over here from entering my lungs. Now, before anyone charges to google to see if these masks are 100% effective at blocking carbon monoxide fumes, I'll save you the time and tell you they don't. But the fact that they block some of it is a benefit. My mask also prevents bugs from flying into my mouth when I'm driving at high speeds. Laugh if you want to, but I've swallowed many a strange creature in my years of motorbike riding over here. Come to think of it, I've swallowed many a strange creature when not riding on a motorbike too, but there are just some situations in life where wearing a mask simply doesn't work.

In the past 2 years since I started wearing an N95 mask I have never once even caught a common cold. Very unusual for me, because for years I would routinely catch at least one cold a year, especially around flu season, and I also suffered from sinus infections at least once per year which required prescription strength nasel spray to treat. Since wearing the mask (knock of wood) my annual colds and sinus infections are a thing of the past, and I've never once experienced even a hint of a flu symptom.

The mask has become a very useful tool and will stay with me forever, regardless of what direction covid takes. I'll continue wearing it when I'm riding my motorbike, especially in heavy traffic, and may even continue wearing it when around large crowds of people, especially during flu season...who knows.

16. 2 Users gave Like to post:

arsenal (October 28th, 2021), Smiles (October 30th, 2021)