Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: What's the score on masks?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: What's the score on masks?

gogi and christian:

Thank you both for sharing your technical expertise on the subject.

Personally, from everything that I've experienced and learned along the way, wearing the N95 face mask in adverse and/or threatening environments pays dividends. As mentioned before, I plan to continue wearing this mask well after this pandemic is over when I feel it's necessary.

If you guys don't agree with the test results regarding the N95's ability to lower CO levels, than that's your prerogative. Maybe you guys are right and the test results are wrong...what the hell do I know.

Seeing as you both appear to be in question about what "Expired CO" is, I have to assume that the experts who use this term frequently in their technical journals and published test results are using this term incorrectly.

In any event, none of this matters to me either. The only thing that concerns me is the masks ability to block at least some of the contaminants in the air to help protect my lungs and prevent the spread of this virus.

In your expert opinions: Does the N95 mask help, or not?

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
    In my opinion, masks are of immense help.

3. 5 Users gave Like to post:

Dodger (October 31st, 2021), mr giggles (November 1st, 2021), Patanawet (October 31st, 2021), Ruthrieston (November 1st, 2021), splinter1949 (November 1st, 2021)

Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked

gogi and christian:

Thank you both for sharing your technical expertise
    If you guys don't agree with the test results regarding the N95's ability to lower CO levels, than that's your prerogative. Maybe you guys are right and the test results are wrong...what the hell do I know.

Obviously great minds think alike.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

Forum's veteran
    Liked

When the bars do finally reopen you should consider putting your mask on before getting drunk.

Check out what could happen if you don't:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvCe9az11Gc

Liked

I'm not claiming to be an expert.

By definition, an N95 mask removes 95% of the particulates above 0.3microns, so it definitely helps with particulate pollution.

A coronavirus is apparently between 50 and 140 nM in size, so in theory, it can get through the masks. In practice, I gather they tend to be in the air on very fine droplets of water and can be effectively filtered out to an extent.

If we upgrade to N99/FFP3 masks, it should be even better. Cambridge University Hospitals did a trial and found them to be almost 100% effective. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57636360
    [Search further and the paper can be found]

For my forthcoming trip to Thailand:

1 We get a covid test on arrival and are sent to hospital if failing. That is what I consider to be a bad outcome, when my probability of actually needing treatment is low. Therefore I will wear 3M FFP3 masks when traveling to Thailand & if going anywhere risky in the preceding days.

2 I'll probably mostly wear at least FFP2 masks after that.

3 I might wear the useless surgical masks in any outdoor situations, if pollution levels are low, just to satisfy legal reauirements.

I dislike waste and understand that sensible re-use of masks is just fine for people not working in covid wards. The virus doesn't survive in any quantity for long on the material. Particularly if left in direct sunlight.

As a reminder for anyone thinking of travelling, some airlines tend to specify valveless masks.

7. User who gave Like to post:

francois (November 1st, 2021)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by goji View Post

For my forthcoming trip to Thailand:

1 We get a covid test on arrival and are sent to hospital if failing. That is what I consider to be a bad outcome, when my probability of actually needing treatment is low.
    Thanks for the information you provided.

Failing the test on arrival would honestly be my greatest fear - all things considered. I imagine those who are fully vaccinated and fail the test would be placed in quarantine...but where?...and how long? What a nightmare scenario.

I, like you, would wear the best mask I could get my hands on during the trip over. I would also carry one of those spray disinfectants to use in the airports and on the planes themselves as an added safeguard. I'm not a paranoid person by nature, but I would take every possible precaution just to be on the safe side.

9. 2 Users gave Like to post:

goji (November 1st, 2021), Oliver2 (October 31st, 2021)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

My level of pessimism increases with my age and so I have painfully replicated Dodger's nightmare. Frequently. Others too; but I'll save those for another occasion.

Liked

Also don't forget to remove your mask before eating:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HpJAG6ZKEc

12. 3 Users gave Like to post:

Dodger (November 1st, 2021), goji (November 1st, 2021), Ruthrieston (November 1st, 2021)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by daydreamer View Post
    Also don't forget to remove your mask before eating:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HpJAG6ZKEc
    LOL...Too Funny!!!