Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the score on masks?

Liked

What's the score on masks?

I don't like wearing a mask - it's not just a simple matter of personal choice - my blood pressure is volatile at the best of times, and wearing a mask sends it into the red zone, so I really need to avoid them.

Looking at recent YouTube videos. I note that almost everyone walking down the Soi in the LoS is wearing one still - so what's the current legal situation?

Similar Threads:

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: What's the score on masks?

Usually required on airlines...

How are you planning on arriving?

Liked

In Thailand, wearing the mask is still legally required. You are not allowed to be anywhere in public without wearing the mask. Even if it wasn't required, I believe most Thais would still continue wearing the masks. Thais have been very cooperative about it and generally favor wearing the masks for the foreseeable future. Despite the numbers of Covid cases going down, the people are still frightened and are still taking all the precautions.

If you don't wear the mask, along with the hostile stares and people avoiding being anywhere near you, you also will be denied entry into a great many venues. You can't get into a grocery store, a shopping mall, immigration, or virtually anywhere without wearing the mask. Even 7-Elevens will deny you entry without the mask. You also won't be able to take a bus or taxi - and that includes baht buses and motorbike taxis - without wearing the mask. Even hospitals will deny you entry unless it is a true emergency - and then when you get there the first thing they'll do is put a mask on you anyway.

If you cannot wear the mask, I'm sorry, but I think you are going to have to wait quite some time before traveling to Thailand is a good idea.

4. 8 Users gave Like to post:

christianpfc (October 27th, 2021), jvt22222 (October 26th, 2021), llz (October 28th, 2021), mr giggles (October 26th, 2021), Patanawet (October 26th, 2021), pong (October 26th, 2021), Ruthrieston (October 28th, 2021), Smiles (October 30th, 2021)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Old git View Post
    - my blood pressure is volatile at the best of times, and wearing a mask sends it into the red zone, so I really need to avoid them.
    Shop around.
    I have a 3 layer cloth mask that makes breathing and speaking easy. Bought in Tops but of course that's not an option till you arrive.

6. 2 Users gave Like to post:

Dodger (October 26th, 2021), Oliver2 (October 26th, 2021)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Yes...I have BP issues too but my worry is that it is more likely to be raised by anxiety caused by those who may be spreading the virus unwittingly by not wearing one! After all, they are there to protect others as much, if not more, than ourselves.

Plenty of options for different masks on ebay. Try some- they aren't expensive- and see which style is the best for you. And if you can find one that doesn't mist-up my spectacles, please let me know.

8. 3 Users gave Like to post:

Dodger (October 26th, 2021), Patanawet (October 26th, 2021), Ruthrieston (October 28th, 2021)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver2 View Post
    After all, they are there to protect others as much, if not more, than ourselves.
    There was a UK report published last year that shows wearing an FFP3 mask dramatically reduces the probability of the wearer catching covid in hospital wards.
    They should give more publicity to this, since in the UK, why would anyone wear a mask "to protect others" if 90% of others are already not wearing a mask ? If people were told that a good mask also protected themselves, then wearing a mask makes sense.

I suspect that for many people, objections to wearing a mask are mainly psychological. If we climb up to high altitude (say 3500m or more), the lack of oxygen is really noticeable and can slow one down. However, the body adapts to this.

Even wearing an FFP2 mask, the effect is much less than climbing to altitude. I don't notice any lack of oxygen and don't even notice any increase in breathing rate. Last year, the hotel I stayed in at the end of the trip had a gym, often empty. On some visits to this I was on the exercise bicycle and forgot to take the FFP2 mask off, as it was barely noticeable.

Those far less effective surgical masks must offer almost no obstruction to air flow at all.

I can't comment on people with severe breathing difficulties and have sympathy for the very small percentage of people who might be genuinely unable to wear a mask. However, for the much of the population, I suspect objection to masks must be mainly psychological.

In the UK, lots of people were claiming they were unable to wear a mask, whereas almost everyone manages to wear a mask in Thailand. I doubt that is due to differences in the gene pool.

I'll be wearing FFP3 masks when traveling to Thailand, as I don't want to fail the covid test on arrival. Once that test is passed, I'll probably use FFP2 masks indoors & maybe decorative surgical masks outdoors, just to comply with the rules.
    Although a good mask also has the benefit of filtering out PM2.5 particles.

10. 3 Users gave Like to post:

francois (October 26th, 2021), Patanawet (October 26th, 2021), Ruthrieston (October 28th, 2021)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by goji View Post
    sympathy for the very small percentage of people who might be genuinely unable to wear a mask.
    Unfortunately, I think most of you probably know that in Thailand, that won't make any difference. I suppose this is a harsh way of putting it, but it's true - in Thailand either wear the mask or F.O. - even if the police don't catch you without a mask. You can also get in trouble even if you're wearing the mask, but improperly. Some people pull the mask down below their nose. That is a definite no-no. Sometimes they get away with it and sometimes they don't, but either way it's against the rules and that has been specifically stated by the powers-that-be. You're expected to wear the mask properly.

I don't know what people in Old git's situation can do other than find a suitable mask, as suggested in posts above. Either that or take chances with blood pressure - and I doubt anyone needs me to tell that is not a good idea.

I know of no provisions Thailand makes for people unable to wear a mask. What I do know is they are not going to take kindly to farang not wearing a mask, no matter what the reason.

By the way, in Thailand if you wear those cheap blue masks (like I do), you might want to carry 1 or 2 extra with you. The straps easily break.

Liked

After a year and a half of the pandemic I still sometimes leave my condo forgetting to put on a mask. Usually I realise within a few seconds and go back. A few days ago I got halfway to Foodmart and then the long hard glare I got from a farang told me something was wrong. I popped into the 7/11 I was passing, hand over mouth, and apologetically explained the situation. The girl assistant produced a pack of three (not that kind of pack) for I think 12 baht and I was back in business. Gaybutton is right: you won't get far in Thailand currently without a mask.

13. User who gave Like to post:

Smiles (October 30th, 2021)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Old git View Post
    I don't like wearing a mask - it's not just a simple matter of personal choice - my blood pressure is volatile at the best of times, and wearing a mask sends it into the red zone, so I really need to avoid them.

Looking at recent YouTube videos. I note that almost everyone walking down the Soi in the LoS is wearing one still - so what's the current legal situation?
    Good advice from others to find a mask with less resistance which may help.

In the UK people suffering from pulmonary hypertension do not have to wear a mask. But, unfortunately, Thailand isn't sophisticated enough to recognize these factors.

Read about it here:

https://www.phauk.org/support/corona...mption-notice/

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Gaybutton View Post
    I don't know what people in Old git's situation can do other than find a suitable mask, as suggested in posts above. Either that or take chances with blood pressure - and I doubt anyone needs me to tell that is not a good idea.

I know of no provisions Thailand makes for people unable to wear a mask. What I do know is they are not going to take kindly to farang not wearing a mask, no matter what the reason.

By the way, in Thailand if you wear those cheap blue masks (like I do), you might want to carry 1 or 2 extra with you. The straps easily break.
    I live in central Bangkok and travel by sky train and go into malls several times a week.
    In a year or so, I've ever only seen one person without a mask; that was on a sky train and he was accompanied by a member of staff.

Advice now if you're wearing paper masks is to wear two.

As a by the by, I was in 7-11 today and they are selling test kits at 99 Baht.

16. User who gave Like to post:

Smiles (October 30th, 2021)