Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: Long Term Rentals versus Hotels

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Forum's veteran
    Liked

Long Term Rentals versus Hotels

This topic would only be of interest to those who visit Thailand routinely for fairly long durations.

I stayed in hotels and short-term condo rentals during my initial 6-8 week holidays, but decided that a long-term arrangement would work out better after the durations of my holidays increased to 6 months per year (two visits per year @ 3 month durations).

Remaining in a short-tern condo rental arrangement for 6 months a year at what I was paying the condo owner at the time cost me an average of 144,000 THB/year (24,000/month X 6 months). If I would have stayed in a hotel for this same duration with a nightly charge of 800 THB/night the monthly charges would have been about the same = 144,000 THB/year.

I was able to negotiate a long-term (annual) room rental for 54,000 THB/year (4,500/month X 12 months). They normally charged 6,000/month for the same room, but discounted this to 4,500 based on an annual lease. The room was 24 M2 w/air-conditioning, clean and well-maintained building, with back porch facing a private lot with lots of mature trees…just perfect. I stayed there for the next 6 years…the annual rent was never increased…and I was within walking distance to Soi Day/Night and Sunee Plaza. If I wouldn’t have decided to buy my own place after retirement I’d probably still be there now.

Short-term renting was costing me 144,000 THB/year, and I was faced with the task of constantly having to pack and unpack heavy suitcases that I was dragging around the globe twice a year (too much fun). Long-term renting (annual) was only costing me 54,000 THB/year and I never had to pack or unpacked a suitcase again. I actually had a customs official at Chicago O’Hare airport ask me once after I had just returned home, why I had been in Thailand for 3 months and was only carrying a paperback book and a half-eaten Snickers bar. I had to explain all of this to him.

The reason I’m taking the time to write about this is because I know many farang who visit Thailand for similar durations who may want to consider their options going forward.

There are many available rooms right now as one would expect – making it a renters market with lots of room for negotiating.

As a side-note: When I rented the long-term room, I had the building owner remove everything inside including the bed and air-conditioning unit that looked like it was manufacturing back during the first World War. I then furnished and set up the quarters to my liking.

Home is what you make it!

2. 9 Users gave Like to post:

arsenal (October 20th, 2021), Aussie1978 (December 6th, 2022), christianpfc (October 21st, 2021), dinagam (October 20th, 2021), goji (October 20th, 2021), Kenny (October 20th, 2021), llz (October 23rd, 2021), poshglasgow (November 3rd, 2021), splinter1949 (October 21st, 2021)