Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: First Time Retirement Visa

Liked

Re: First Time Retirement Visa

Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    I got my visa in Thailand and it was a Non-O Visa (retirement) which I get annual extensions.

Here is a listing of types of visas available per LA Consulate in USA; I don't see a Non0-B listed?
    I agree. To my knowledge, there is no such thing as an O-B Visa. If you Google a Thailand Non-Immigrant O-B visa, you will not get any information as the sites listing are for categories O, O-A, or B, but none for O-B.

Those obtaining a Non-Immigrant Visa in Thailand for purpose of retirement (or married/related to a Thai) are issued a Non-Immigrant O Visa. The Non-Immigrant O-A Visa i is issued only by Thai Embassies/Consulates in the applicant's country of residence - which is only available in some countries, not all.

If obtaining an annual extension of the one year stay from Pattaya Immigration, it should note the underlying Visa on which it is based. If based on retirement, it should show either Non-O or Non-OA.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by christianpfc View Post

Another important point is that none of these visas granted entry during Covid. Nor did ownership of a condominium.
    Isn't that a crock of shit!

Fortunately, I remained in-country during this pandemic, but I've often thought about what it would be like to be prevented from returning in the event that I had been traveling out-of-country.

The Thai government didn't (doesn't) show an ounce of consideration for expat retiree's when it comes to this, and our foreign embassy's remain lodged with their heads up their asses doing what they do best - and that's nothing.

If it weren't for the boys over here I'd be learning to speak Khmer.

3. User who gave Like to post:

Moggy (October 18th, 2021)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
    Fortunately, I remained in-country during this pandemic, but I've often thought about what it would be like to be prevented from returning in the event that I had been traveling out-of-country.
    to be fair this is not just a Thailand problem - just read the Australian press for example, there are still stories every day of the plight of Australian citizens and long term visa holders caught overseas during the pandemic and still battling to return home
    I can’t even be bothered to be apathetic these days!

5. User who gave Like to post:

Dodger (October 19th, 2021)

Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked

….
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Manforallseasons View Post
    ….
    Yes, they introduced this last year.

The $3 million baht coverage they're referring to - is the U.S. $100,000 covid coverage which got added to the requirements for O-A visa holders last year. Tourists are also required to have this. This is nothing new...and I'm not even sure why Barry Kenyon wrote about this in his column this late in the game.

I had to show proof of this when I renewed my extension last month. Nothing to fret: The coverage you and I both have through AA exceeds these amounts.

Word is, that all visa holders will eventually get nailed with this. I'm not sure about you O-B guys though...you may be exempt...LOL

The concern for many expats who don't have any health insurance over here is that if they wait too long (over 70) they won't be able to get a policy. The Visa Agents will be having a field day.

Liked

This is not Barry Kenyon…and it is a new requirement.
    https://www.thaihealth.co.th/en/non-...nt-o-a-1-year/

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Manforallseasons View Post
    This is not Barry Kenyon…and it is a new requirement.
    https://www.thaihealth.co.th/en/non-...nt-o-a-1-year/
    I know, I was referring to Barry's similar article in today's PattayaOne.

Ironically, my extension expired on Oct 1, 2021. I had the insurance they were looking for (as described in these articles you're reading) so there was no problem.

The reason I upgraded my policy through AA earlier this year was exactly for this reason.

They're trying to push the sales of these policies now because the flood gates are about to open, thus the reason the article you just linked us to only addresses new applicants for the O-A visa - when in fact, it applies to all holders of O-A visa's.

Wide-spread rumor has it that O-Visa holders are next on the hit parade.

I'm just going to throw this out there:

Immigration isn't necessarily thrilled with people who comply. They would much rather have people use the services of an Agent. You and I both know the reason why. Of the 16 foreign expats that reside in my building here in Bang Saray, there's only one guy, other than myself, that complies with all these requirements and walks into immigration every year to extend. The rest just go about enjoying life and let their Agents handle the rest.

TIT

Liked

I agree at some point all long term holders of an O visa will be required to meet the new insurance requirements and I suggest anyone with a long stay O visa makes sure their policy has no age cut off date, as time goes on many that wait to buy insurance will be unable as they will be deemed too old.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post

Word is, that all visa holders will eventually get nailed with this. I'm not sure about you O-B guys though...you may be exempt...LOL

The concern for many expats who don't have any health insurance over here is that if they wait too long (over 70) they won't be able to get a policy. The Visa Agents will be having a field day.
    Who is the "word"? As for those over 70 yo, everyone will eventually be over 70 yo unless they die before hand.

12. User who gave Like to post:

mr giggles (October 26th, 2021)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post

Who is the "word"? As for those over 70 yo, everyone will eventually be over 70 yo unless they die before hand.
    The "words" I'm referring to came from several sources, including the Director of Operations for a large insurance brokerage operating in Thailand, as well as a top-ranking official I spoke with at Chonburi Immigration earlier in the year. I rarely rely on what I read in the papers, or street gossip. I prefer getting information that has a direct effect on my life in Thailand directly from the source(s).

Some low-end insurance company's stop covering clients after they reach a certain age. Some of the larger and more reputable companies have no such clause and continue covering their clients typically until age 99 - which is always covered in the language of the policy (contract). Obviously, the cost of the premiums gets higher the older a person gets. No big mystery there!

Like everything else in life, you get what you pay for. According to Barry Kenyon, there have been arrangements made in the Thai insurance network just recently for those over 70 to secure the level of health insurance needed to comply with Immigrations latest mandate. I have no idea what the premiums cost, but know they have to be pretty high. They (Immigration) will also start accepting insurance policies from a foreigners home country to address this need.

I haven't reached 70 yet, but still had to pay more to have my policy upgraded to comply with this new mandate (>3M baht), but it's still costing my about 1/3rd of what similar coverage would cost in the U.S., so no complaints from me.