Quick navigation:
List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Sticky end or sticky wicket?

  1. #1
    Forum's veteran Brad the Impala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,188
    Liked
    724

    Sticky end or sticky wicket?

    Quote Originally Posted by arsenal View Post

    Rob, the owner was Swiss, a nice guy who unfortunately came to a bit of a sticky wicket.
    You come to a sticky end or you are on a sticky wicket.


    Note
    This post and others originated in the Announcing New Boy Bar in Boyztown area Pattaya.. topic and were moved here to create a new and separate discussion. A quick link back to the original topic is posted below:

    https://sawatdeenetwork.com/v4/showt...n-area-Pattaya
    Last edited by Jellybean; October 15th, 2021 at 22:32. Reason: To provide context.

  2. 2 Users gave Like to post:

    Andaman! (October 15th, 2021), JayToff (October 15th, 2021)

  3. #2
    Forum's veteran arsenal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    7,113
    Liked
    3229

    Re: Announcing New Boy Bar in Boyztown area Pattaya..

    "You come to a sticky end or you are on a sticky wicket."

    I disagree with your understanding of this. However the board has moved away from this grammar diaper nonsense. Lets keep it that way.

  4. User who gave Like to post:

    Dodger (October 15th, 2021)

  5. #3
    Senior member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    195
    Liked
    128

    Re: Announcing New Boy Bar in Boyztown area Pattaya..

    Quote Originally Posted by Brad the Impala View Post
    You come to a sticky end or you are on a sticky wicket.
    Quite correct…..sticky wicket and sticky end have completely different meanings. There is, of course, a second meaning for cum to a sticky end as can be found in Nice Boys, Nature Boy etc💦

  6. #4
    Forum's veteran goji's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,613
    Liked
    1293

    Re: Sticky end or sticky wicket?

    The board would be better without all these grammar challenges, even where correct. After all, what is the point in being deliberately obnoxious ?

    There might be exceptions where someone consistently makes no effort at all with grammar and therefore deserves criticism, termination of membership & finally 60 lashes.

    For example, one deceased ex-member. The person I have in mind was banned from various boards, but always used to reappear with a new handle. He claimed to be a native English speaker, yet would write long rambling posts, with no paragraphs, full stops or any correct punctuation at all.

  7. User who gave Like to post:

    Dodger (October 16th, 2021)

  8. #5
    Forum's veteran Brad the Impala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,188
    Liked
    724

    Re: Sticky end or sticky wicket?

    Quote Originally Posted by goji View Post
    The board would be better without all these grammar challenges, even where correct. After all, what is the point in being deliberately obnoxious ?
    Who is being deliberately obnoxious?!! Correcting a fundamental misuse of language is a normal part of discourse. This is not a grammar or typo challenge, and it is inaccurate to state that it is. Correction should be appreciated. We can all learn and improve.

    I understand that a few are such sensitive souls that they feel that they should never be challenged, indeed if anyone does so they call them trolls! But that's their problem.

  9. User who gave Like to post:

    christianpfc (October 17th, 2021)

  10. #6
    Forum's veteran arsenal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    7,113
    Liked
    3229

    Re: Sticky end or sticky wicket?

    "The board would be better without all these grammar challenges, even where correct"

    Except they're not correct. It can't be sticky end because afaik he's not dead and it can't be on because it's past tense. I could have written 'he found himself ON a sticky wicket but even then he would have had to have come to it.

    But I have to say that I find grammar grannies of this nature oxymoronic in that they're childish and yet always well old.

  11. User who gave Like to post:

    Dodger (October 16th, 2021)

  12. #7
    Forum's veteran
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    2,891
    Liked
    1924

    Re: Sticky end or sticky wicket?

    Quote Originally Posted by Brad the Impala View Post

    Who is being deliberately obnoxious?!! Correcting a fundamental misuse of language is a normal part of discourse. This is not a grammar or typo challenge, and it is inaccurate to state that it is. Correction should be appreciated. We can all learn and improve.

    I understand that a few are such sensitive souls that they feel that they should never be challenged, indeed if anyone does so they call them trolls! But that's their problem.
    In your last sentence the word "so" appears to be used in error. The ending of that sentence should read as follows: ",...indeed if anyone does they call them trolls". Also, you are applying an explanation point at the end of that sentence incorrectly. None needed.

    I hope you appreciate this correction, because it's intended to help you learn and grow.

  13. User who gave Like to post:

    arsenal (October 16th, 2021)

  14. #8
    Moderator a447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    5,295
    Liked
    1900

    Re: Sticky end or sticky wicket?

    Quote Originally Posted by Brad the Impala View Post
    Who is being deliberately obnoxious?!! Correcting a fundamental misuse of language is a normal part of discourse. This is not a grammar or typo challenge, and it is inaccurate to state that it is. Correction should be appreciated. We can all learn and improve.
    Maybe it's "normal" for you, but I think other people would consider it rude, arrogant and unnecessary.

    You must have been very busy in Thailand correcting their English every step along the way in your conversations with them. However, have you noticed that they never correct our tones when we try to speak Thai - (unless we ask)? It would be considered rude in the extreme.

    Over the years we have had many members whose first language is not English and who made numerous spelling and grammar mistakes - Christian excepted. Yet you never corrected them. Didn't you think you should have, given that it's a "normal part of discourse"? Obviously not. You choose who to correct and who not to. A little disingenuous, don't you think?

    should never be challenged, indeed if anyone
    There should be a semicolon after "indeed", not a comma.

    I trust you appreciate my correction!

  15. 3 Users gave Like to post:

    arsenal (October 16th, 2021), Dodger (October 16th, 2021), goji (October 16th, 2021)

  16. #9
    Forum's veteran
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    2,891
    Liked
    1924

    Re: Sticky end or sticky wicket?

    Quote Originally Posted by a447 View Post

    Over the years we have had many members whose first language is not English and who made numerous spelling and grammar mistakes - Christian excepted. Yet you never corrected them. Didn't you think you should have, given that it's a "normal part of discourse"? Obviously not. You choose who to correct and who not to. A little disingenuous, don't you think?
    This seems to be one of Brad's glaring character flaws. He carries a grudge against a particular member and just waits for the opportunity to criticize them for something with a sense of vengeance. If he can't find something questionable about the substance of what his victim is talking about, he just reverts to criticizing their words.

    Here's one of Brads recent comments showing his perfect English skills;

    "I had already booked my christmas/new year trip to take advantage of the Phuket Sandbox, which I now read may no longer be operative by the time I get there!"

    My 9 year old granddaughter understands that major holidays like Christmas and New Years are always capitalized. And here he goes again adding an exclamation point at the end of a sentence where it doesn't belong.

    Did anyone correct Brad when he made these errors? Of course not. Why? Because nobody gives a flying fuck.

  17. 2 Users gave Like to post:

    arsenal (October 16th, 2021), goji (October 16th, 2021)

  18. #10
    Forum's veteran Brad the Impala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,188
    Liked
    724

    Re: Sticky end or sticky wicket?

    Pile on boys, pile on!

    Metaphors and idioms are part of the joys of language. Who knew that so few of you could tell the difference between a mangled metaphor and a grammatical error! In case you still don't get it I was pointing out the former in this instance while you are engaging in the pointless pursuit of the latter.

Similar Threads

  1. Sticky Rice is updated...
    By travelerjim in forum Sawatdee Gay Thailand
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: August 26th, 2007, 13:04
  2. It is getting sticky in here
    By bucknaway in forum Sawatdee Gay Thailand
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: November 20th, 2006, 02:03
  3. New Sticky Rice
    By in forum Sawatdee Gay Thailand
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: August 29th, 2006, 06:29
  4. What happened to Sticky Rice?
    By in forum Sawatdee Gay Thailand
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: April 18th, 2006, 17:33
  5. Sticky: May Meat
    By Jetsam in forum Sawatdee Gay Thailand
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: February 15th, 2006, 14:14

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Sawatdee Network is the set of websites for (and about) gay community of Thailand, travelers and tourists in Thailand and in South East Asia.
Please visit us at:
2004-2017 © Sawatdee Gay Thailand - Sawatdee Network