List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Bars to Open on December 1st ???

Liked

Re: Bars to Open on December 1st ???

Why is Bangkok IN and Pattaya OUT of the "Blue Covid Zone"*.

Is there any fundamental reason, like higher per capita infection rates in Pattaya ? Or is it just that the powers that be dislike Pattaya and will keep the squeeze on for as long as possible ? From what I recall, Pattaya was treated more harshly than Bangkok with the red zoning earlier in the year, if looking at infection rates per capita.

Note: Here I am referring to "Blue Covid Zone" as in covid Pilot Tourism/Sandbox zones, based on the table posted by Gerefan. Which are apparently different to the 17 Blue Zone Sandbox destinations for tourists ? It would have been helpful had they come up with a different colour for the latter.

(which for avoidance of confusion appears to be different to the 17(?) Blue Zones for tourists on sansbox.

Forum's veteran Brad the Impala's Avatar
    Liked

You guys are so getting your knickers in a twist dissecting and interpreting every announcement, statement and even the commentary by others on every statement and announcement. It can't be long before we hear the taxi driver's view on what the government's position will be, as if he has a hot line!

Chill, deep breaths, what will be will be. Don't blame Thailand for the uncertainty, the same absence of solid parameters exist worldwide. Let's see how it pans out and adjust accordingly.

As Pot, the partner of one of the best posters and previous owner of this forum advised, as they were heading for and delayed for a train departure. "You can't change which way the ball will bounce". That's life, any anyone who understand anything about Thailand, or life, will understand that.

3. 2 Users gave Like to post:

christianpfc (October 30th, 2021), llz (October 30th, 2021)

Liked

Can bars which decide to serve some food as a new promotion be classified as eateries? I recall being told to eat stew in a gay club in Manchester, uk, on Sunday nights in the 1980's for this reason. And it worked.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Brad the Impala View Post
    Don't blame Thailand for the uncertainty, the same absence of solid parameters exist worldwide. Let's see how it pans out and adjust accordingly.
    I don't agree! There are many holiday destinations that don't change their policies every other week. Thailand is the most unreliable country on my list of countries I would like to visit. They seem totally incompetent in handling reopening their country that shouldn't have been this closed, to begin with.

It's easy to say "that's just Thailand being Thailand," but I rather call them out.

6. 2 Users gave Like to post:

christianpfc (October 30th, 2021), Dodger (October 30th, 2021)

Liked

According to the Bangkok Post, here is what is actually going on:
    __________________________________________________ ________________

Pattaya booze ban stays, operators peeved

Resort city worried about diminished appeal to foreigners as tourism gears up

by Chaiyot Pupattanapong

29 October, 2021

Local tourism operators are upset that the popular resort city has been left off a short list of places where alcohol sales will be allowed in restaurants starting on Monday.

Pattaya deserves to be included in a four-province cluster where restaurants will have permission to sell alcoholic beverages to patrons, said Boon-anant Pattanasin, president of the Pattaya Business and Tourism Association.

He made the comment after the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration said that eateries in Bangkok, Krabi, Phangnga and Phuket would be the only places allowed to sell beer, wine and the like from Monday in line with the reopening of the country to travellers.

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha has said that authorities hope to be able to allow alcohol sales in restaurants and other venues nationwide from Dec 1, as the country gears up for the year-end festive season.

Pattaya risked losing an edge to compete with other tourism provinces, even though the city is among the leading destinations in the country for foreigners, Mr Boon-anant said.

He said Covid cases in Pattaya were fewer than Bangkok but the alcohol ban was being lifted in the capital. The spread of the virus in Chon Buri province also tended to be concentrated in factory clusters outside Pattaya, he added.

Chon Buri on Friday reported 382 new cases, the provincial public health office reported. Sri Racha district had the most new infections with 90, while Bang Lamung, where Pattaya is located, logged 48.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand...erators-peeved

Forum's veteran
    Liked

What the PM's announcement didn't make clear is if these "Code Blue" provisions would (or could) be expanded over time to include other provinces (or districts).

In Thailand, major decisions like this ALWAYS INCLUDE huge information gaps, which is actually by design. The fewer number of actual details and personal commitments in any proposal or plan limits the amount of accountability for the results of the actions taken. Creating knowledge gaps like this is used strategically to create chaos and confusion, which, for people who choose to operate this way, is the key to success: 1) Keep them confused . 2) Shield the true objectives. 3) Take credit if things work. 4) Blame no one at the top if they don't.

I imagine if enough tourists come during high season they'll keep the alcohol bans in Pattaya in place. If not, then it's back to the drawing board to think of new ways to create chaos and confusion to get the ball rolling again.

I guess I'll have to phone Tong the Taxi Driver to find out what's really going on.

Welcome to Thailand!

9. 4 Users gave Like to post:

christianpfc (October 30th, 2021), Patanawet (October 30th, 2021), Ruthrieston (October 30th, 2021), vnman (October 30th, 2021)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by goji View Post

Why is Bangkok IN and Pattaya OUT of the "Blue Covid Zone"*.
    If the PM's Council was using Risk Management tools when making these decisions (and one would assume they were), Pattaya, with only 5 hospitals, would end up being a much higher risk factor than Bangkok with it's 50 hospitals. Maybe this had something to do with their decision.

They already know that there's going to be an increase in covid numbers when tourists start arriving, but what has to be keeping them up at night is having the medical capacity to handle the increase.

11. User who gave Like to post:

arsenal (October 30th, 2021)

Liked

That is exactly it Dodger. Their fear is a Pattaya overrun with cases, the hospitals swamped and both Thais and foreign tourists dying in the streets.

13. User who gave Like to post:

Dodger (October 30th, 2021)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by arsenal View Post

Their fear is a Pattaya overrun with cases, the hospitals swamped and both Thais and foreign tourists dying in the streets.
    Can you just imagine the impact that would have on future tourism in Thailand!!! I bet they can imagine it.

Asa Butterfield would never be stymied with such trivial nonsense. He would just grab a boy and a few bottles of Coka Cola and head to the beach for a fun day of frolicking under the sun.

15. 2 Users gave Like to post:

arsenal (October 30th, 2021), dab69 (October 30th, 2021)

Liked

Looking at case numbers over the past while, I find it hard to believe bars will be open again in a month.

There were some encouraging signs there and looked like things were on the decline with multiple days dropping all the way into the 7000s. Now we're back into the 90002 and have been for a while.

Besides, I get my booster in January, so think I'll hang out here for that anyway.