List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bars to Open on December 1st ???

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Bars to Open on December 1st ???

According to what the PM announced on TV last night, the bars and entertainment venues are being considered for reopening on December 1st. Fully vaccinated tourists from low risk countries don't have to quarantine: Low risk countries include the UK, USA, Germany, and others.

Hopefully these plans will become official in time for tourists to book their trips during the holiday season.

Lets' all make the sign of the cross...wai to Buddha...or whatever else it takes for this to happen.

Story below:

https://www.pattayamail.com/thailand...s-dec-1-375347

2. 5 Users gave Like to post:

arsenal (October 12th, 2021), homeseeker (October 12th, 2021), Old git (October 12th, 2021), poshglasgow (October 18th, 2021), TaoR (October 13th, 2021)

Liked

Re: Bars to Open on December 1st ???

As I said in another thread.
    These are the dictators suggestion to be put to the CCSA meeting on Thursday.
    Also he didn't mention the curfew -- or did he?

4. User who gave Like to post:

Manforallseasons (October 12th, 2021)

Liked

The timeline is faster than I had dared to hope for. I had expected an element of 'wait and see' after reducing the quarantine period, not least because the ASQ regime had the sticky finger marks of senior government members on the make all over it, who would, I assumed, want to milk it for as long as possible.

One assumes that with the resumption of normal tourism on the cards, the airlines will want to restore their services again. I have a contact who has strong family links to Thai - am making some enquiries..

Edit: Word from Thai is that they are so short of funds they will wait to see the booking numbers on other airlines before pledging to restore those flights that are currently not operating.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Patanawet View Post
    As I said in another thread.
    Also he didn't mention the curfew -- or did he?
    I didn't see anything about it, although it would be pointless to let the bars and entertainment venues open if they all would still have to close by 9:00pm to meet a curfew deadline.

But before everyone gets all excited and immediately starts making bookings, I wouldn't expect much bar action all that soon. It is one thing if the bars can reopen. It is quite another as to how soon and how many will reopen. Some bar owners might want to wait to see how many foreigners really will go to Thailand right away. They also will have to recruit staff. Again, most of the boys returned to their home provinces long ago and have been virtually without money ever since. Just to go to Pattaya and work in the bars means they need bus fare to get to Pattaya, money to rent a room, money to eat, money for necessities, etc. I don't know where that money is supposed to come from. Don't forget how it works in Thailand. They work a full month before getting paid a single baht.

And we don't even know yet how many bars survived to be able to reopen at all.

Once the bars reopen, I hope customers will take the boys off and tip them very well. This won't be the right time to go to Thailand and then try to save money by being cheap with the boys. I hope we're not going to see much of nursing the same drink for two hours and then leaving without even a tip.

I suggest keeping your flies zipped until we have some answers. Especially with more expensive airfare, I wouldn't want to make a major holiday trip until I am sure the reasons why I am going are open and running smoothly.

Before packing your bags, I suggest reading Barry Kenyon's October 12 article: https://www.pattayamail.com/latestne...n-place-375351

7. 5 Users gave Like to post:

a447 (October 12th, 2021), Manforallseasons (October 12th, 2021), splinter1949 (October 12th, 2021), TaoR (October 13th, 2021), vnman (October 12th, 2021)

Liked

I suspect Issan families will have a whip round for the bus fares - they need the bar revenue desperately..

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
    Lets' all make the sign of the cross...wai to Buddha...or whatever else it takes for this to happen.
    Well, I hope for those that want to go that it all works out. I'm going to give Thailand a hard pass for now. I can do without Thai food for another 6 months. I'll be back when I get the all-clear from friends who experienced it.

10. 6 Users gave Like to post:

BenCH (October 13th, 2021), Dodger (October 12th, 2021), DonMuang (October 13th, 2021), Manforallseasons (October 12th, 2021), Oliver2 (October 12th, 2021), poshglasgow (October 18th, 2021)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Yes...one of the reasons I'm waiting a few months( God-willing, not as many as six!) is that I want to read detailed (OK, and sexy) reports from intrepid travellers.

After they've returned home safely and virus-free.

12. User who gave Like to post:

poshglasgow (October 18th, 2021)

Liked

Well if everyone has the same attitude as vnman and Oliver then it will still be the same six months from now won't it.

14. 2 Users gave Like to post:

dab69 (October 13th, 2021), TaoR (October 13th, 2021)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by arsenal View Post
    Well if everyone has the same attitude as vnman and Oliver then it will still be the same six months from now won't it.
    Thankfully different people have different attitudes.
    Some board members intend to arrive in Thailand within the next 2 months, barring unforeseen circumstances.

Also, deleting quarantine ought to see some kind of increase in numbers from last winter.

Is anyone who didn't go last year up for it this time ? [If they have (for example) Phuket style 7 day sandbox, the 7500 baht covid insurance and a few incidental testing costs. If it's like last year, some of the extra expenses would be partially offset by some good hotel rates.]

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by arsenal View Post
    It's interesting that you think that our attitude is what's slowing down improvement. Personally, I think it's the Thai government and how they handled this COVID nightmare. There is a whole big world out there where you can go without any bureaucratic hoops to jump through, so why would I take the risk to go to Thailand?

Even opening up the country has to be as complicated as can be. Vaccinated people from 10 countries... are you serious?

They have broken their own system with a lot of unnecessary restrictions. To the Thais, I have never been more than a customer, and as such, I'd like to purchase a good product. At the moment they cannot produce this and until they can, I have other places I can go.

I assume you and Goji will be there in December or January?

17. User who gave Like to post:

christianpfc (October 13th, 2021)