List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you explain Thanksgiving to someone in SE Asia?

Liked

How do you explain Thanksgiving to someone in SE Asia?

I fired off some WhatsApp messages wishing my loved ones over in Asia a happy Thanksgiving. Sure enough, I got messages back from them asking what the hell is Thanksgiving?

I honestly don't even know how to answer that. Do I just say this is the day we decided to stop killing all the Indians, so we made a holiday about it? That sounds stupid, but it's basically true.

Liked

Re: How do you explain Tanksgiving to someone in SE Asia?

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt View Post
    I fired off some WhatsApp messages wishing my loved ones over in Asia a happy Thanksgiving.
    Why would anyone want to wish anyone else a Happy Thanksgiving more than 6 weeks in advance of the event?

3. User who gave Like to post:

Patanawet (October 13th, 2021)

Liked

I'm just glad that the description 'indigenous people' has been replaced by 'first nation's'. This recognises that just because your ancestors got there first 1000s of years ago it doesn't give you automatic ownership of such a precious and finite resource as vast swathes of land.

5. User who gave Like to post:

Armando (October 13th, 2021)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Armando View Post
    Why would anyone want to wish anyone else a Happy Thanksgiving more than 6 weeks in advance of the event?

Because I'm Canadian.

Google it, Thanksgiving in Canada is today. I know you Americans like to do Thanksgiving just a few weeks before Christmas, but that's on you.

7. User who gave Like to post:

mr giggles (October 11th, 2021)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by arsenal View Post
    I'm just glad that the description 'indigenous people' has been replaced by 'first nation's'. This recognises that just because your ancestors got there first 1000s of years ago it doesn't give you automatic ownership of such a precious and finite resource as vast swathes of land.
    Not sure what's happening in your part of the world, but in Canada at least every politician still uses the term "indiginous". Google a speech from any Canadian politician or public health official, and at the beginning you will hear them thank the indiginous people and their land.

Don't worry, the indiginous here are fine. I think Trudeau has given them around $14 billion over the past would years. When they need more money, they'll just go sit on the railroad tracks for a few weeks while they drink whiskey again, and Trudeau will give them another half billion or so.

It's just how it works in Canada.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: How do you explain Thanksgiving to someone in SE Asia?

...well u did steal their land...killed theor men...and raped their women....didnt you???? Before u lot came along they were living peacefully....in harmony with nature and one another...held hands in a huge circle and sang kumbaya type songs...then u lot shoved alcohol...big macs and guns down their throats..

10. 3 Users gave Like to post:

arsenal (October 13th, 2021), lukylok (October 13th, 2021), Patanawet (October 13th, 2021)

Liked

Why do you want to wish Happy Thanksgiving to someone in a different culture? Do people wish you Eid Mubarak or Shuba Dashain too.

12. User who gave Like to post:

Patanawet (October 13th, 2021)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by latintopxxx View Post
    ...well u did steal their land...killed theor men...and raped their women....didnt you???? Before u lot came along they were living peacefully....in harmony with nature and one another...held hands in a huge circle and sang kumbaya type songs...then u lot shoved alcohol...big macs and guns down their throats..

I didn't do anything. I just ended up being born because my parents had a few too many beer one night during a Grey Cup football party.

Nonetheless, you forgot smallpox on your list. That was a "gift" from the white man that I'm sure the indians didn't want.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Uranus View Post
    Why do you want to wish Happy Thanksgiving to someone in a different culture? Do people wish you Eid Mubarak or Shuba Dashain too.
    For the same reason they wish me a happy Songkran.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by latintopxxx View Post
    Latin, you're such a sensitive darling...I am proud of you.