Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Health Insurance to enter Thailand

Liked

Re: Health Insurance to enter Thailand

No problem..I have written about it several times....PUTS ME OFF...the Covid Insurance $100,000 coverage....I have not seen anyother country
    which requires this madness, if there is...only a couple....another dumb TH rule....

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Blueskytoday View Post
    No problem..I have written about it several times....PUTS ME OFF...the Covid Insurance $100,000 coverage....I have not seen anyother country
    which requires this madness, if there is...only a couple....another dumb TH rule....
    Is it really costly?
    Here 30 days with $100,000 coverage costs $85 total for 60 yo, option "COVID" costs additional $0.3 per day for vaccinated person and $1.5 per day for non vaccinated.
    Bali (Indonesia), Cambodia, Myanmar, Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam and Laos: gay guides and companions http://siamroads.com

3. User who gave Like to post:

Dodger (October 11th, 2021)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    Is it really costly?
    Here 30 days with $100,000 coverage costs $85 total for 60 yo, option "COVID" costs additional $0.3 per day for vaccinated person and $1.5 per day for non vaccinated.
    As a percentage of my total holiday bill, it is not costly.

In terms of value for money, it is terrible. I figured that out last year by calculating the odds of a claim and multiplying by the hospital bill. Sure enough, The Bangkok Post confirmed they were paying out something ridiculously low like 2~3% of premiums per month. Bear in mind most policies wouldn't go past 3 months, as most visitors will be on 60 or 90 day visas. So ~10% paid out. Any kind of insurance policy where they pay out less than 10% of premiums is a scam.

However, will it stop me going to Thailand ? Absolutely not, when alternatives like Cambodia are closed and have some kind of insurance requirement of their own.

5. User who gave Like to post:

christianpfc (October 11th, 2021)

Forum's veteran Brad the Impala's Avatar
    Liked

To be honest any sensible person travels with an insurance policy. I've had an annual policy that covers both me and my partner for many years. It covers us in the event of actual covid sickness, as any decent policy would, and up to a limit much in excess of that required by Thai policy. Therefore there is no need to take out an additional policy. If your travel policy doesn't already cover this you are on the wrong policy and may just have gone thoughtlessly for the cheapest option. You get what you pay for!

All you whiners about this issue should be looking in the mirror. There is nothing wrong in a third world country requiring people to have health cover to protect their public hospitals from unpaid for treatment for visitors. There is no analogy with guests leaving a restaurant with their bill unpaid. The protection is needed against visitors having weeks or months of treatment and then dying with their bills unpaid.

There are many things wrong with Thailand, but trying to protect their own public health service for the benefit of their own poorer population isn't one of them. And their poorer population are much poorer than those visitors being asked to ensure that their own costs are covered.

Even in the UK(nominally a First World Country) the NHS is not generally free for tourists.

Just for Bluskytoday please find(again) a list of countries, many of them "first world" countries that require proof of travel insurance from tourists.

https://www.insuremytrip.com/travel-...vel-insurance/

7. 3 Users gave Like to post:

Armando (October 11th, 2021), Dodger (October 11th, 2021), snotface (October 11th, 2021)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Brad the Impala View Post

To be honest any sensible person travels with an insurance policy.
    I totally agree.

I couldn't imagine wanting to travel to a foreign country without making sure that I was protected, especially in the middle of a pandemic.

I have a friend in the hospital over here right now with covid & pneumonia. Fortunately he's well insured. I don't even want to guess at what the hospital bill will be.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post

I have a friend in the hospital over here right now with covid & pneumonia. Fortunately he's well insured. I don't even want to guess at what the hospital bill will be.
    Had he been vaccinated? Have many Farangs caught it?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

I can't understand this. It's not just a question of Covid but of all the issues and problems that may accrue when you are thousands of miles from home. When my expat friend died in hospital a few years ago, his insurance had, for some reason, fallen into abeyance- I never understood exactly what the problem was- and his last weeks were abjectly miserable. He wasn't even able (I was told) to pay for basic drugs. He died in pain.

Bearing in mind how cheap Thailand is for falang visitors, the cost of up-grading insurance is barely more expensive than a couple of nights of sanuk.

11. User who gave Like to post:

Dodger (October 11th, 2021)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver2 View Post
    Bearing in mind how cheap Thailand is for falang visitors, the cost of up-grading insurance is barely more expensive than a couple of nights of sanuk.
    I always have travel insurance. I'm just used to proper policies with far more than $100,000 of cover, sold in a proper competitive market, not by companies making an excessive profit margin.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver2 View Post
    I can't understand this. It's not just a question of Covid but of all the issues and problems that may accrue when you are thousands of miles from home. When my expat friend died in hospital a few years ago, his insurance had, for some reason, fallen into abeyance- I never understood exactly what the problem was- and his last weeks were abjectly miserable. He wasn't even able (I was told) to pay for basic drugs. He died in pain.
    Very sad indeed.

But it does go completely contrary to what the Thai Govt keep hammering on about. Unpaid hospital bills.

TiT