Quote Originally Posted by Gaybutton View Post
Sometimes it seems as if Thailand, so desperate to rebuild its tourism industry, constantly stands in the way of tourists going to Thailand and always seems to make things more difficult. To the best of my knowledge it is true that the Thai companies will not insure anyone over 75 and the insurance must be issued by a Thai company. Non-Thai companies are not accepted. They also will not let you self-insure no matter how much money you have. You could have more money than Bill Gates, but you are still subject to Thailand's insurance laws. If you are unable to meet Thailand's insurance requirements, you may not be able to travel to Thailand at all.
Regarding the $100,000 Covid insurance for TOURISTS, I'm not aware of any requirement that the insurance is provided by a Thai company. In fact, I know of cases where people were admitted with insurance issued by French and German insurers in 2020, reported on the Facebook ASQ page.

There ARE websites that say the expat insurance has to be by a Thai company but there is no such requirement for tourist insurance. However, I've not yet done a deep dive to verify that.
At my age, it's not top of the list of problems, but I don't think anyone over 75 should be put off without doing a little more research.

I agree entirely on the self insurance point. You don't exactly have to be Bill Gates to self insure for $100,000 either, although I would have thought anyone with under (say) $5million might prefer proper insurance, rather than self insurance (& that is probably most of us).