FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: House rental

Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked

Re: House rental

Quote Originally Posted by gerefan2 View Post
    Too much for me.

This is what I’m looking at...if possible! It’s in the estate opposite Pan Pan

https://pattayarealty.com/property/residential/HSR3313/
    I am very familiar with this estate as I knew someone living there, it has communal pool and a rear exit to Thappraya road close to Foodmart and a short walk to the complex…..it is also a gated community with security.
    "In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Yep, that’s it. Would be ideal! Sigh...

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by gerefan2 View Post
    Yep, that’s it. Would be ideal! Sigh...
    I'm familiar with the homes in this area as well.

Terrific location, and being so close to The Complex is a BIG PLUS. Also, if you like cooking, being that close to Food Mart and the Thrapraya morning market are also great advantages.

The house looks nice too...great find...if the price is right.

Good luck.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
    The house looks nice too...great find...if the price is right.
    As a recap, Gerefan2 declared the price is OK, but they have a minimum let of 6 months -which is the problem area where advice is sought.

I had a look at houses on Booking.com. There are numerous houses for rent at 30 days MAX, but these are bigger properties at 5~25x the price. So not very helpful at all, other than establishing that there are people renting houses short term.

Liked

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet, and not sure if this is even true in places like Pattaya so am only speaking of up in Khon Kaen, but...

Being there in person to go house shopping makes a MASSIVE difference. At least up in places in Khon Kaen, when the locals have a house for rent, they don't advertise it on the internet.

They post some flyers using cardboard or whatever on varius street signs / corners / shops around the local neighborhood. I'm blind so I can't write in Thai anymore, but they'd simply say "baan chao" (house for rent), plus have a phone number.

Now those places are where you're going to get your best deal by far. A place that would be ~30k/month on the internet magically goes down to say 8k/month when you go local like this. Again, not sure how it works in Pattaya, but it might be best to pay a boy to scout out the various neighborhoods for you looking for local "house for rent" signs. If you go local in this manner, you'll get a far better deal than you'd ever get over the internet.

Too bad most of you geriatrics have me on ignore, because this is actually some solid advice.

6. User who gave Like to post:

christianpfc (September 29th, 2021)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt View Post
    Too bad most of you geriatrics have me on ignore, because this is actually some solid advice.
    As you refer to other posters as "geriatrics" can you fault them for ignoring you?

8. User who gave Like to post:

poshglasgow (October 2nd, 2021)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    As you refer to other posters as "geriatrics" can you fault them for ignoring you?

Never used to, and normally never would, but everyone has me on ignore now so figured they're not going to read it anyway

Liked

. . . Too bad most of you geriatrics have me on ignore, because this is actually some solid advice.
    Geriatrics? How very dare you! Senior citizens, if you please.

Back on topic, I was surprised to learn from gerefan2 that house owners or their agents in Pattaya were insisting on a minimum of six month rentals. When I owned a house in Hua Hin, a popular tourist destination, of course a long-term rental would be preferable to a short-term rental. But, in the absence of long-term rentals, I instructed my agents to let out my house for two weeks, four weeks, three months or, basically, anything more than two weeks. I took the view that some rental income was better than no rental income, especially when I had swimming pool and garden maintenance bills to be paid for, whether someone was there or not.

And, importantly, given the current absence of tourists, I would have thought that house owners in Pattaya would be more than happy to accept short-term rentals, especially if a potential renter was offering to rent for three months.

And lastly, all joking aside, I thought cdnmatt offered some sound advice regarding walking around and looking for rental signs etc.
    Remember: Coughs and sneezes spread diseases

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Jellybean View Post
    Geriatrics? How very dare you! Senior citizens, if you please.
    Ok, I'm sorry you salt and pepper stallions in your golden years. How's that, is that better?

As for the 6 month thing, be happy you're not looking for a place in Laos, because it's customary there to pay the full 6 months upfront and not on a month-by-month basis.

I'll stick with what I said though. Get a boy you trust to scout the telephone polls around the neighborhoods you want to live in, looking for "house for rent" signs. Going solely off what's on the internet is probably going to cost you about 300% more for the same quality.

heh, reminds me of the last house I rented in Khon Kaen. Sure enough they required a lease agreement, which I was fine with. I don't even know why I did this, I guess because I was an illegal immigrant at the time, but I signed the lease as Henry Ford. They didn't care, as all they cared about was that wad of 1000 baht notes I pulled out of my pocket.

Liked

Get a boy you trust to scout the telephone polls around the neighborhoods you want to live in, looking for "house for rent" signs.
    That might work. It can't hurt to try, but be careful about how the boy is going to earn his money. I don't know where gerefan is going to find a boy he can trust or even if the boy will be available for that. You don't want a boy who is going to tell you he spent the whole day looking, but came up with nothing - or if he's clever, one or two - but he really spent the day sound asleep in his room. You have no way of knowing how much time, if at all, he actually spent looking, but you would still have to pay him. It's not that I wouldn't trust him, it's just that I wouldn't trust him . . .

Another problem about hiring a boy to do the looking: Many of the places where the boy should look are in security guarded neighborhoods. The security guard at the entrance gate would have to believe the boy's explanation as to why he wants to go in. Even if the guard believes him, it is likely his orders are not to let people enter without contact between the guard and the homeowner. The boy might be reluctant to even ask a security guard. With luck, the guard would know of any houses within the neighborhood that are for rent.

Since gerefan has made it clear he wants to be near the Jomtien Complex area, he might be better off hiring a motorbike taxi to take him around the area and do his own looking.

I don't see "For Rent" signs on houses very often. I do see them, but as I said, not often. It is actually much more common in Pattaya to see "For Sale" signs on houses rather than "For Rent" signs.

Another possibility, several shopping centers and grocery stores have public bulletin boards. There is a good chance of several house for rent ads on those, but gerefan would need to be flexible about where the house is located. Again, it can't hurt to look. Maybe he'll get lucky.