Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: A walk through the Complex

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Liked

A walk through the Complex

After my meal at Tinnies pie shop last night I took a walk back to my condo through the Complex. At first everywhere looked deceptively bright and businesses were open, though there was a distinct lack of that necessary commodity known as customers. Some of the roadside food kiosks, Dick's Cafe, the two massage places, the barbers, the grocery store, the two coffee places, Antz - all were open. On moving across to the main gay soi (which I never think of as 'supertown' - daft name - and especially now), it was a different picture, much gloomier in more senses than one. Dim lighting at the Venue, which was presumably open for business, but no leg kick or twirl has been performed in earnest on stage there for many a month. A few shadowy figures at Dodo bar and about a dozen more at Sun bar, mainly boys eating, chatting, drinking in subdued fashion - both bars have space for them to sleep. Mid-soi, lights were on at Divarium Cafe (formerly QM2 bar) and at Dolce Vita restaurant opposite, a sprinkling of customers in each. Most places were in darkness, the owners no doubt tucked away inside feverishly running strings of worry beads through their fingers.

Two surprising observations. The long-empty double unit between Dolce Vita and Sun bar has been converted into a 'night club' (according to a sparse webpage) called Dragon Music Lounge. The metal shutters were down last night, but lights were on when I passed it a couple of nights earlier and it seemed likely from my quick look that plenty of money has been spent on it - intricately-patterned lighting effects, spanking new tables and seating, I didn't see the rest of it. It seems to be aiming at a mostly younger Thai clientele and I have my doubts about its ability to stay the course. The night club idea was tried at a place on the bend of Thappraya Road opposite the golden statue a year or more ago and didn't last long. Putting something similar in a soi where the average customer age is about 65 is asking for trouble in my opinion.

Further down the soi, next to BC bar, another long-empty double unit is in the process of being overhauled. All I know about its future is that there is a professionally-produced new sign over it with the wording 'Dorothy's Showbar' on it. This does not immediately fill me with confidence, conjuring up images of tired, camp gay culture of years gone by. But I freely admit that I could be quite wrong about that - it might soon have near-naked boys greeting customers with hugs, somersaults and leg-splits for all I know.

My first reaction to both of these new ventures was one of astonishment. Given the present dire economic situation, I thought them recklessly conceived and probably doomed to failure. But there was some reassurance there too. As long as risk-taking nutters exist, my belief that the Pattaya gay scene will eventually recover is reinforced. Soon you might not even have to be a nutter to contemplate opening a gay business again. As for the direction of any recovery, in Jomtien anyway, we seem to be headed for more places offering some kind of entertainment and fewer plain beer bars. A mixture seems fine to me.

At the mouth of the soi the Poseidon hotel stood forlorn-looking and dimly-lit. No sign of anyone eating inside. A young male member of staff was pacing about and swinging his arms backwards and forwards in what could have been boredom or despair (or, of course, just an urge for a bit of exercise). I doubt whether many, if any, rooms are currently occupied. I feel sorry for the German owner Heiko. He told me after the first lockdown that another one would finish him off and there has been much starting and stopping since then. I walked on to my condo, where every morning I awaken with gratitude for my good fortune in being able to live comfortably in a world gone crazy.

2. 19 Users gave Like to post:

a447 (September 7th, 2021), Armando (September 8th, 2021), arsenal (September 7th, 2021), aussie (September 8th, 2021), Brad the Impala (September 7th, 2021), christianpfc (September 7th, 2021), dab69 (September 7th, 2021), dinagam (September 7th, 2021), Dodger (September 7th, 2021), Lotusleaf (September 7th, 2021), Manforallseasons (September 7th, 2021), Moses (September 7th, 2021), neddy3 (September 8th, 2021), poshglasgow (September 13th, 2021), Ruthrieston (September 8th, 2021), Smiles (September 8th, 2021), splinter1949 (September 7th, 2021), TaoR (September 7th, 2021), vnman (September 14th, 2021)