Liked

Not Just Another Day In Pattaya

"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

2. User who gave Like to post:

dab69 (August 27th, 2021)

Liked

Re: Not Just Another Day In Pattaya

Ref: Floods

It's remarkable how many times they dig the road up for resurfacing, drainage works etc, yet the floods are still horrendous.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

How many were killed? None?

230 killed last month, mainly in floods in Germany...

5. User who gave Like to post:

catawampuscat (August 28th, 2021)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

I had the pleasure of navigating this flood yesterday in a failed attempt to meet with my insurance agent.

Fortunately I was driving my Ford Ranger which was able to make it in-and-out of this mess. It was like driving down the middle of the Nile River on Pattaya Tai, and I ended up getting trapped by stalled vehicles and road barricades while attempting to drive through Soi Day/Night. I finally made it out without my truck stalling...would have made a great commercial for Ford Rangers.

Whenever you see them doing repairs to the underground pipes in South Pattaya you will notice that the pipes they commonly use are 10 cm diameter blue plastic pipes, which, according to standard practice, are used for internal plumbing, or external plumbing of controlled water flowage like residential water tanks, etc. - not for underground sewerage systems in major cities.

My guess for years has been that the majority of the money that was approved and allotted for the City sewerage system ended up in somebody's pocket, and those cheap plastic pipes (which are suitable for the toilet in your hung nam) is all they could afford. What you would expect to see being used for an underground piping system in a city the size of Pattaya would be 50 cm diameter concrete castings. Not anywhere close to what they've been using.

Welcome to Thailand!

7. 2 Users gave Like to post:

a447 (August 28th, 2021), Ruthrieston (August 28th, 2021)

Liked

I didn't go out in that storm. I'm wondering how Pattaya's Sukhumvit tunnel fared. I haven't seen any news about it, so I'm guessing it did not flood. However, I wouldn't want to be stuck in that tunnel when the rest of Sukhumvit does flood.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Gaybutton View Post

I didn't go out in that storm. I'm wondering how Pattaya's Sukhumvit tunnel fared. I haven't seen any news about it, so I'm guessing it did not flood. However, I wouldn't want to be stuck in that tunnel when the rest of Sukhumvit does flood.
    I was a bit south of the tunnel yesterday but that section of Sukumivit leading up to the tunnel wasn't too bad at all. Maybe an inch of water on the surface at best. Understanding that the tunnel is at a lower level it's anyone's guess how much water accumulated. If it were me I'd avoid the tunnel entirely just to be safe or they may have to do another "cave rescue".

Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
    I was a bit south of the tunnel yesterday but that section of Sukumivit leading up to the tunnel wasn't too bad at all. Maybe an inch of water on the surface at best. Understanding that the tunnel is at a lower level it's anyone's guess how much water accumulated. If it were me I'd avoid the tunnel entirely just to be safe or they may have to do another "cave rescue".
    Just a guess but the tunnel has been in the limelight so much that there is a good chance the drainage was done properly and there is so many opportunities to make money elsewhere on bad construction, why not tear up the sidewalks on beach road another 2 or 3 times?
    "In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

11. User who gave Like to post:

Dodger (August 28th, 2021)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Gaybutton View Post
    I didn't go out in that storm. I'm wondering how Pattaya's Sukhumvit tunnel fared.
    Doesn't the tunnel slope downwards over it's entire length, with the north end lower ? That's my perception from looking out of the bus window, but such things can be misleading.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by goji View Post

Doesn't the tunnel slope downwards over it's entire length, with the north end lower ? That's my perception from looking out of the bus window, but such things can be misleading.
    Believe it or not, even with a slight slope, they found that the tunnel floods in moderate to heavy rainfalls. This was discovered almost immediately after the tunnel was completed. (A project I called the "tunnel to nowhere"). To MFAS's point, with all the attention that drew the drainage problem has probably been corrected.

Thais aren't the best tunnel builders....but it sure looks nice.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
    Thais aren't the best tunnel builders....but it sure looks nice.
    They should have brought their Vietnamese neighbours in to build it as they have a lot of experience of building very successful tunnel networks it seems - only trouble is you have to be 5 foot 5 or under to fit in them all it seems !!

15. 3 Users gave Like to post:

arsenal (August 28th, 2021), Dodger (August 28th, 2021), goji (August 28th, 2021)