Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: A walk through the Complex

Liked

A walk through the Complex

After my meal at Tinnies pie shop last night I took a walk back to my condo through the Complex. At first everywhere looked deceptively bright and businesses were open, though there was a distinct lack of that necessary commodity known as customers. Some of the roadside food kiosks, Dick's Cafe, the two massage places, the barbers, the grocery store, the two coffee places, Antz - all were open. On moving across to the main gay soi (which I never think of as 'supertown' - daft name - and especially now), it was a different picture, much gloomier in more senses than one. Dim lighting at the Venue, which was presumably open for business, but no leg kick or twirl has been performed in earnest on stage there for many a month. A few shadowy figures at Dodo bar and about a dozen more at Sun bar, mainly boys eating, chatting, drinking in subdued fashion - both bars have space for them to sleep. Mid-soi, lights were on at Divarium Cafe (formerly QM2 bar) and at Dolce Vita restaurant opposite, a sprinkling of customers in each. Most places were in darkness, the owners no doubt tucked away inside feverishly running strings of worry beads through their fingers.

Two surprising observations. The long-empty double unit between Dolce Vita and Sun bar has been converted into a 'night club' (according to a sparse webpage) called Dragon Music Lounge. The metal shutters were down last night, but lights were on when I passed it a couple of nights earlier and it seemed likely from my quick look that plenty of money has been spent on it - intricately-patterned lighting effects, spanking new tables and seating, I didn't see the rest of it. It seems to be aiming at a mostly younger Thai clientele and I have my doubts about its ability to stay the course. The night club idea was tried at a place on the bend of Thappraya Road opposite the golden statue a year or more ago and didn't last long. Putting something similar in a soi where the average customer age is about 65 is asking for trouble in my opinion.

Further down the soi, next to BC bar, another long-empty double unit is in the process of being overhauled. All I know about its future is that there is a professionally-produced new sign over it with the wording 'Dorothy's Showbar' on it. This does not immediately fill me with confidence, conjuring up images of tired, camp gay culture of years gone by. But I freely admit that I could be quite wrong about that - it might soon have near-naked boys greeting customers with hugs, somersaults and leg-splits for all I know.

My first reaction to both of these new ventures was one of astonishment. Given the present dire economic situation, I thought them recklessly conceived and probably doomed to failure. But there was some reassurance there too. As long as risk-taking nutters exist, my belief that the Pattaya gay scene will eventually recover is reinforced. Soon you might not even have to be a nutter to contemplate opening a gay business again. As for the direction of any recovery, in Jomtien anyway, we seem to be headed for more places offering some kind of entertainment and fewer plain beer bars. A mixture seems fine to me.

At the mouth of the soi the Poseidon hotel stood forlorn-looking and dimly-lit. No sign of anyone eating inside. A young male member of staff was pacing about and swinging his arms backwards and forwards in what could have been boredom or despair (or, of course, just an urge for a bit of exercise). I doubt whether many, if any, rooms are currently occupied. I feel sorry for the German owner Heiko. He told me after the first lockdown that another one would finish him off and there has been much starting and stopping since then. I walked on to my condo, where every morning I awaken with gratitude for my good fortune in being able to live comfortably in a world gone crazy.

2. 19 Users gave Like to post:

a447 (September 7th, 2021), Armando (September 8th, 2021), arsenal (September 7th, 2021), aussie (September 8th, 2021), Brad the Impala (September 7th, 2021), christianpfc (September 7th, 2021), dab69 (September 7th, 2021), dinagam (September 7th, 2021), Dodger (September 7th, 2021), Lotusleaf (September 7th, 2021), Manforallseasons (September 7th, 2021), Moses (September 7th, 2021), neddy3 (September 8th, 2021), poshglasgow (September 13th, 2021), Ruthrieston (September 8th, 2021), Smiles (September 8th, 2021), splinter1949 (September 7th, 2021), TaoR (September 7th, 2021), vnman (September 14th, 2021)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: A walk through the Complex

Great review of the Complex. Much appreciated.

I cruise through the Complex often, but always in the early morning hours which doesn't tell me much.

Your report reaffirms my beliefs, and those of my personal advisor - Tong Taxi Man - that the Complex, as well as the other gay areas in Pattaya, are poised to reopen in all their glory. Well...maybe not as glorious as days-gone-by, but glorious to the majority of us who just want the venues open again none-the-less.

Thanks again.

Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked

Thanks snotface it was nice to see an honest assessment.
    "In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Thanks for that snotface.

I'm bewildered; Le Cafe Royal effectively killed-off Boyztown for many of my generation of gay travellers and, at the same time, was an abysmal and mightily- expensive failure, and so why more "show bars"? How large a market is there for lip-syncing khatoeys? The evidence from Boyztown suggests that it's both small and probably straight. Devotees can take a bus along Second Road if that's their cup of tea.

6. User who gave Like to post:

poshglasgow (September 13th, 2021)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver2 View Post
    Thanks for that snotface.

I'm bewildered; Le Cafe Royal effectively killed-off Boyztown for many of my generation of gay travellers and, at the same time, was an abysmal and mightily- expensive failure, and so why more "show bars"? .
    As long as there are Brits, there will be show bars.

8. 2 Users gave Like to post:

Dodger (September 8th, 2021), Manforallseasons (September 8th, 2021)

Liked

"As long as there are Brits, there will be show bars. "

Show bars are loud, brash, fake, large of girth, garish and full of people in brightly coloured fuller figure clothes. Just like Florida.

10. 2 Users gave Like to post:

Dodger (September 8th, 2021), poshglasgow (September 13th, 2021)

Liked

Posts relating to gay bars in Cambodia have been moved here :

https://sawatdeenetwork.com/v4/showt...0-Gay-bar-news

A447

Forum's veteran
    Liked

i like florida...

Forum's veteran
    Liked

I'm not really a Show Person but I like the fact that the Complex will have a mix of venues. Stage shows attract customers - and more customers attract more boys.

I loved the shows that Kevin Quill used to choreograph at "Throb" back in the day. I remember one show where the boys were dressed in sexy sailor outfits with short white pants leaving almost nothing to the imagination. They were lip-syncing the song "I'm gonna wash that man right outa my hair" from the movie "South Pacific" - while a rather robust farang transvestite was doing backflips off the stage. What's there not to like?

The fact that the majority of places in the Complex have not been vacated and are still poised to reopen should be encouraging to everyone. They all deserve our support regardless of what venues they offer. It's all under the "Rainbow".

14. 2 Users gave Like to post:

Ruthrieston (September 8th, 2021), snotface (September 8th, 2021)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
    I loved the shows that Kevin Quill used to choreograph at "Throb" back in the day.
    I agree with you. The routine that comes to mind is the famous monkey costume one where boys would hop about on stage, make monkey noises, scratch themselves under the armpits and then come down and pretend to remove nits from the hair of amused/mildly embarrassed farang customers. Great fun.

So much with these shows depends on the imaginative flair of the director/choreographer and unfortunately that is in short supply in most bars. An exception was Adam's Apple bar in Chiang Mai, oh, a couple of decades ago now. For a couple of years they had very entertaining shows with lots of humour, the bawdier the better (a vital ingredient). There was one involving boy scouts and a strict scoutmaster twirling his cane that comes to mind.

When it's just self-adoring ladyboys prancing about in their feathers and sequins and lipsynching away (usually badly), I, like others here, lose all interest. I have been known to attend the Venue show more often than I care to admit, but that had nothing to do with the ladyboys and everything to do with one of the boy dancers who I fancied like crazy... Never got me anywhere [sigh]

16. 3 Users gave Like to post:

Dodger (September 8th, 2021), Oliver2 (September 8th, 2021), Ruthrieston (September 9th, 2021)